E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

5 posters

Are there countries without kata training?

Stevens
    Stevens

Are there countries without kata training? Empty Are there countries without kata training?

Post by Stevens Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:32 am

I've never seen China or Russian states in the results of kata-championships. Is this because they don't do kata in their judo-education? I think this is possible because countries like the Russian states and China are pure sportminded (winning olympic medalls). It's possible when judokata becomes a olympicsport that these countries will start doing kata. It;s just a thought! When judo became a olympic sport the Russian sambo-players were changed into judoka and got a black belt, but how did they get it so fast?
    Stevens
    Stevens

Are there countries without kata training? Empty Re: Are there countries without kata training?

Post by Stevens Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:15 pm

Stevens wrote:I've never seen China or Russian states in the results of kata-championships. Is this because they don't do kata in their judo-education? I think this is possible because countries like the Russian states and China are pure sportminded (winning olympic medalls). It's possible when judokata becomes a olympicsport that these countries will start doing kata. It;s just a thought! When judo became a olympic sport the Russian sambo-players were changed into judoka and got a black belt, but how did they get it so fast?
    I understand that this is a difficult question!

Maybe somebody has a link or knowledge about Russian/Chinese promotion guidelines for blackbelts up to 5th dan?
    wdax

Are there countries without kata training? Empty Re: Are there countries without kata training?

Post by wdax Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:36 am

From time to time some russians competed in Euroean championships, but only very few not very successful.
    Stevens
    Stevens

Post by Stevens Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:10 am

wdax wrote:From time to time some russians competed in Euroean championships, but only very few not very successful.
    Thanks!

Hope to meet you in 2014 in the Netherlands, when you have a clinic in Lelystad.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:24 am

wdax wrote:From time to time some russians competed in Euroean championships, but only very few not very successful.
    Russia has sent several of its jûdôka to the Kôdôkan International Summer kata course where they have repeatedly won the contest. They seem to have a special relationship with Satô Tadashi.

I do not know why they have not or rarely participated in EJU or IJF kata championships. Maybe they are first trying to build out a national tradition ?
    wdax

Post by wdax Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:31 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:I do not know why they have not or rarely participated in EJU or IJF kata championships. Maybe they are first trying to build out a national tradition ?
    I don´t know either, but having seen them, I am sure, that those who competed in the EC are in no way serious or dedicated judoka. Russia doesn´t really care about kata-competitions at the moment.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:42 am

Don't want to put words in the OP's mouth ... but the question was about kata training. Competitions was an example.

What does ... except in a through-the-looking-glass Judo Show IJF world ... what does kata competition necessarily have to to do with kata training?
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:46 pm

I guess, mainstream BJA judo is so devoid of kata that the UK could be considered as a country pretty much without kata training.  There is massive resistance and opposition to kata from the majority of BJA-qualified coaches (the likes of which I have not seen anywhere else in the world e.g. coaches saying they would give up judo if they had to teach kata) - often based on a position of little/no knowledge.   Hardly any BJA club I know of incorporates kata into regular training and kata is seen as something different - and a chore necessary for a grading only. That said there are some high quality kata teachers in the UK as well as some successful kata competitors.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:40 pm