E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

2 posters

Japanese pro boxer condemns law for classifying him as a dangerous weapon

BillC
    BillC

Japanese pro boxer condemns law for classifying him as a dangerous weapon Empty Japanese pro boxer condemns law for classifying him as a dangerous weapon

Post by BillC Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:32 pm

http://www.japantoday.com/category/crime/view/japanese-pro-boxer-condemns-law-for-classifying-him-as-a-dangerous-weapon

Japan Today wrote:Japanese pro boxer condemns law for classifying him as a dangerous weapon

TOKYO —

On Sept 9, Hozumi Hasegawa, a second-division professional boxer competing successfully at a world level, made a very angry post to his blog condemning the nation’s laws for preventing him from raising his hand against anyone outside of work, regardless of the circumstances.

Hasegawa goes on to question all of the inconsistencies that this rule creates. “Would it be better for a pro martial artist?” he writes. “Is it because I’m a pro boxer? Would it still be forbidden if it was me against ten armed assailants? Or, what if two pro boxers have a fight in the streets? This law is strange!” he laments.

Of course, Hasegawa’s outcry is not for his inability to start a rumble in the streets, the professional fighter assures his readers. What he wants is to retain the right to protect himself, his friends, and those important to him as an act of legitimate self-defense. “There’s a difference between hitting someone out of frustration and hitting them to protect yourself. I don’t understand this law that says I can’t hit anyone just because I’m a pro.”

Now, I’m no lawyer, but I worked a little Google to see what I could dig up about this peculiar law. While I wasn’t able to find anything specifically targeting boxers, I did come across an interesting fact on 3Yen, a legal FAQ for Japan. According to this site, residents of Japan do not have a right to self-defense! It is only a mitigating option. What this means is that any attempt to use violence as a form of defense leaves one liable to battery charges which will only be dropped if a number of mitigating circumstances can be proved.

... yadda yadda yadda ...

NBK advises open-handed "shoves" as the best legal self-defense option in Japan ... and pretty much anywhere. Close your fists and blue-eyed boys you are f ... likely to be at least temporarily incarcerated. True?

More than that ... is there something in the "Spirit of Judo" that prefers judoka keep it cool?
    Ryvai
    Ryvai

Japanese pro boxer condemns law for classifying him as a dangerous weapon Empty Re: Japanese pro boxer condemns law for classifying him as a dangerous weapon

Post by Ryvai Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:48 pm

BillC wrote:More than that ... is there something in the "Spirit of Judo" that prefers judoka keep it cool?
    In my country (Norway) you are classified as being in possession of a weapon (your body) while training martials arts. So if you end up in a self-defence situation you should have witnesses to confirm it was a matter of self-defence, but it is perfectly legal to intervene or defend yourself, not like that stupid Japanese law. Judoka should definitely try to keep their cool, but look at it this way, we have the ability to incapacitate people without the risk of hurting them permanently (most often). I would much prefer a Judoka or wrestler to intervene than for example a boxer or krav-maga practitioner.

In my previous work as a door supervisor (Bouncer is the old term) I've used Judo and wrestling in numerous occasions to prevent guests from harming other's or themselfs. Instead of using brute force, kicks and punches that might harm them, Judo seems to do the trick quite well. In the world of self-defence an unprovoked punch or kick aimed at the head is in my opinion a murder-attempt, not because of the damage that punch or kick alone does to you, but if it connects and you fall helplessly to the ground knocking your head in the asphalt, that might kill you, or the 250lbs guy jumping on your head while unconscious might do the trick.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:45 pm