E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+7
Creamy creamy baileys
Smitty2A35
phat tony
genetic judoka
The_Harvest
OldeEnglishD
Taiobroshi
11 posters

Is your school judo only?

Poll

See Topic Title

[ 16 ]
    Is your school judo only? Bar_left59%Is your school judo only? Bar_right [59%] 
    [ 11 ]
    Is your school judo only? Bar_left41%Is your school judo only? Bar_right [41%] 

Total Votes: 27
    Taiobroshi
    Taiobroshi

Is your school judo only? Empty Is your school judo only?

Post by Taiobroshi Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:35 am

Have you guys noticed a rise in schools that teach multiple martial arts? Especially in areas where the rent is too damn high (NYC) I find that dedicated judo schools are becoming increasingly rare. What effect do you think this has on the culture of the dojo, if any?

It's a small thing, but I prefer to take judo classes in places with no Tapout punching bags and camouflage kimono... silent When the pervading culture is not Japanese I feel like judo has a tendency to become pigeonholed, as in "this is a place that offers judo a couple of times a week" versus "this is a judo dojo."

Thoughts?
    OldeEnglishD
    OldeEnglishD

Is your school judo only? Empty Re: Is your school judo only?

Post by OldeEnglishD Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:23 am

My school has multiple styles that are offered. I actually started their striking style 6 months before taking in a Judo class there. In my case, if there weren't multiple styles at the dojo, I never would have found Judo. I have put the striking style on hold as I focus on my grappling.
    The_Harvest
    The_Harvest

Post by The_Harvest Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:27 am

Like nearly every French judo club we are taught both judo and jiu-jitsu.
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:33 am

my main club's venue also offers aikido and jujutsu. I'm not terribly interested in either of those to be honest. a school in a nearby city that I used to train at regularly (and need to get my ass back to) shares the mat with a wrestling school. another one used to share the building with a gymnastics school, which was kinda cool because they had all kinds of fun equipment to train on.
    phat tony
    phat tony

Post by phat tony Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:19 am

My school offers Aikido and Haganah self defense classes. Mostly it is a Judo Dojo. We have an awesome group of kids and adults that participate-
    Smitty2A35
    Smitty2A35

Post by Smitty2A35 Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:42 pm

We run our club out of the local Y. I guess there is a Kenpo class their on nights we aren't there. I have never met anyone from that class though. Previously called the instructor and left a message. Figured it is a small community, even smaller martial arts community...thought we might be able to help each other out, maybe get the schools/students to know each other. Never got a response.
    Creamy creamy baileys
    Creamy creamy baileys

Post by Creamy creamy baileys Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:54 pm

Just judo here. However, if we were talking strategically, I think there's some benefit (depending on your local market, of course) of offering related martial arts. For example, if you have a long term student, who happens to be a brown belt in BJJ attending your judo classes...why not have him teach BJJ one or two nights (in exchange for free judo classes) a week and see what that brings in? That would be my thinking if I were a school owner.

It's actually quite a puzzle. On one hand, profitability related with multiple offerings. On the other hand, strong brand identity in the community ("Hey, when I think of excellent Judo, I think of X").

BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:53 am

Are you asking about the BUILDING or the CLUB?

I'd guess that most "dojo" actually share space with basketball, tumbling, the PTA meeting, etc.

Then there are organizations that under the same management teach multiple endeavors ... judo, aikido, jodo ... judo, BJjitsu, mo itai ... etc.

The latter ... I am just noting without being critical ... can be an insurance problem ... or at least there are subtleties to be considered. That is a question worth asking BTW.
    Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Post by Judo Dad Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:32 pm

For an interesting take on this topic check out: A diiferent way forward by James Bregman in July 2012 Growing Judo: http://www.usja-judo.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Growing-Judo-2012.07.pdf
    JudoStu
    JudoStu

Post by JudoStu Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:32 am

Multiple styles taught out of the same dojo is likely to increase the likelihood of cross training.
    icb
    icb

Post by icb Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:55 am

My club is judo only, but we are part of a Japanese Cultural Centre that also has aikido, iaido and karate, and kendo is likely to return soon after a long hiatus. There seems to be a few people from aikido and karate trying out the iaido classes (which are new), but other than that there isn't a lot of cross training.

Last edited by icb on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 am