E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

2 posters

Leg touching Judo feedback

Ricebale
    Ricebale

Leg touching Judo feedback Empty Leg touching Judo feedback

Post by Ricebale Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:09 pm

A young kids of mine in a comp under traditional rules (he made the vid too) about 14yrs old and this is his first judo comp.

For the older guys that remember leg touches any constructive feedback welcome on tactics and set ups.

Cheers
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Leg touching Judo feedback Empty Re: Leg touching Judo feedback

Post by Ben Reinhardt Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:00 am

Nice Osoto Gari/otoshi on the yellow belt !

The hand to leg attacks in judo are not different than other throws. I tended to use them as followups to other attacks, where the initial attack provides the opening for the hand to leg attack (generally kibisu gaeshi or kuchiki daoshi).

I'd suggest a couple of things in general.

1.) He needs to stand up and not get into the bent over posture situation if at all possible. That will free up his ability to move, and use that movement to attack (with whatever techniques). I know you teach wrestling as well, so he needs to get it clear which postures are more appropriate for whichever rule set he competes under. If he decides to compete in "normal" IJf rules events, that will be very important, obviously. Starting out in a more upright posture also amplifies the effects of "changing levels".

2.) Leg grabs work well as direct attacks, obviously. The more overall grappling skill he has, the more opportunities will open up for leg grab type attacks.
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:57 pm

Thanks Ben,

I was surprised he didn't get pulled up for the bent over stance. I prefer a more upright posture myself when jacket fighting and I concur with the horse for courses observation on posture, I'll feed this back for sure especially the level change advantages from such.

I was happy with the osoto as my preference is to practice that throw from the over under as opposed to long arm grips, more of a hip bump action into the throw.
    I was also happy with his Ko soto off the same grip at around 3:18.
    If you pause the vid at 4:25 you can see him performing a Sambo "pick up and dump" which may be an illegal Judo move as it is an attack from the rear, I'm not savvy on the rules for that but he didn't get pulled up for it.
    The last match on this vid even though he lost I was happy with his drive and transitions when in bad positions.

I wasn't actually at this event as I was away but had similar thoughts to your above, he has competed in BJJ previously and I can see the influence via exposure there.

He competed in the u15's, u16's and the young mens with 1st, 1st and 2nd respectfully so I'm happy that he both won and lost matches for his own development.

I really enjoy working with this Judo club as they don't play the rules they let the match play itself.

Cheers
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:57 pm

I've another video from a young girls match, this is her first comp and in class she can perform three throws of which she uses two here, I'm going to work on her confidence to do turning throws of which she can perform one,

The video goes for 8 mins and was put together by her brother so be patient please Smile

Of interest the leg catches she she gets are in line with the attribute training we do, I focus on small range of techniques and the main class focus is on balance, confidence and direct attacks at this age.

Constructive feedback welcome so I can enhance her training

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:45 am