E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

2 posters

Koshiki-no-kata (sequence) by Kotani Sumiyuki, 9th dan

Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Koshiki-no-kata (sequence) by Kotani Sumiyuki, 9th dan Empty Koshiki-no-kata (sequence) by Kotani Sumiyuki, 9th dan

Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:53 am

The following clip recorded during a Kagami-biraki held at the (then) Nippon Budôkan with Kotani Sumiyuki, then 9th dan (later in 1984, 10th dan) shows that even he before he got "really old" did not submit to the geriatric tempo and robot-like unnatural ways of moving that are so prevalent today. Enjoy !  Sorry, the full kata is not available.

Stevens
    Stevens

Koshiki-no-kata (sequence) by Kotani Sumiyuki, 9th dan Empty Re: Koshiki-no-kata (sequence) by Kotani Sumiyuki, 9th dan

Post by Stevens Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:33 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:The following clip recorded during a Kagami-biraki held at the (then) Nippon Budôkan with Kotani Sumiyuki, then 9th dan (later in 1984, 10th dan) shows that even he before he got "really old" did not submit to the geriatric tempo and robot-like unnatural ways of moving that are so prevalent today. Enjoy !  Sorry, the full kata is not available.

The walking of uke is different......
    Nice to see. I hope to find more old films. I had one of Ichiro Abe in Belgium when he did a demonstration at a gala of Belgium Olympic Comité (beginning 80's with fights of Berghmans and van der Walle). I lost the tape by lending it out....
    In that time i had no knowledge of koshiki no kata, so i don't know how he did it 33 years ago.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Koshiki-no-kata (sequence) by Kotani Sumiyuki, 9th dan Empty Re: Koshiki-no-kata (sequence) by Kotani Sumiyuki, 9th dan

Post by Cichorei Kano Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:13 am

Stevens wrote:

Nice to see. I hope to find more old films. I had one of Ichiro Abe in Belgium when he did a demonstration at a gala of Belgium Olympic Comité (beginning 80's with fights of Berghmans and van der Walle). I lost the tape by lending it out....
    In that time i had no knowledge of koshiki no kata, so i don't know how he did it 33 years ago.

He did quite well --he was 8th dan then-- and so did Yamamoto Shirô, who was his uke and then still 7th dan. Yamamoto then performed it totally different from how he teaches it today. The event was also recorded by national TV.
    Stevens
    Stevens

Post by Stevens Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:06 pm

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    Stevens wrote:

He did quite well  --he was 8th dan then-- and so did Yamamoto Shirô, who was his uke and then still 7th dan. Yamamoto then performed it totally different from how he teaches it today. The event was also recorded by national TV.

Nice feeling that some people know things that nobody knows in my judoarea!
    Can you tell me what Kodokan Kata Hirano sensei knew, except of nage, katame and his own kata's? Did he perform koshiki?

Thank you if you can tell
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:52 pm

Stevens wrote:
    Cichorei Kano wrote:
    Stevens wrote:

He did quite well  --he was 8th dan then-- and so did Yamamoto Shirô, who was his uke and then still 7th dan. Yamamoto then performed it totally different from how he teaches it today. The event was also recorded by national TV.

Nice feeling that some people know things that nobody knows in my judoarea!
    Can you tell me what Kodokan Kata Hirano sensei knew, except of nage, katame and his own kata's? Did he perform koshiki?

Thank you if you can tell

Unfortunately, I don't have a film recording of the above demonstration, but I took many slides of it which I do have, but which I do not have access to for the moment.

I have never known Hirano to perform Koshiki-no-kata, but I also was too young to know in those days. I would assume that since he became a Kôdôkan 7th and 8th dan that he must have. However, I have also never seen any pictures of it, and he does not mention it in any of his books. If anyone would know it probably would be have been people much older like Igor Corréa, who unfortunately now also has passed away.

I do have pictures of Hirano performing Kôdôkan goshinjutsu, which he also taught. And, I have explanations and pictures from him in which he demonstrates several (three) of his own kata, of which his Handô-no-kata (usually called "Hirano-no-kata", "Nami-no-kata" or "Nanatsu-no-kata"). Note that two of his own kata (Jôge-no-kata & (Endô-no-kata) really are practice kata, and are not the kind of kata intended to "demonstrate". They do not have bowing ceremonies, but are forms to learn, finetune, and remember different types of kuzushi entries of throws.

Although I also do not have recordings or pictures of Hirano performing Itsutsu-no-kata, he spiritually must have been deeply vested in it, considering that it clearly formed the inspiratin or basis of two of the above-named kata. However whereas Itsutsu-no-kata is very theoretical and conceptual, Hirano in his kata clearly makes a bridge towards the practical application of the forms he defines to randori.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:39 am