E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+8
sydvicious
jkw
finarashi
Creamy creamy baileys
BillC
Quicksilver
Cichorei Kano
jae kim
12 posters

is it nomal to suck after a month of judo?

jae kim

is it nomal to suck after a month of judo? Empty is it nomal to suck after a month of judo?

Post by jae kim Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:09 am

i'm 16 yers old male, i've been doing judo for 1 month hahaha i know it's short but i don't understand why i can't perform the techniques correctly, or miss them completly,and thsi really piss me off! And i'm starting to lose hope to become someday an olympian, or at lleast a good fighter so i can defend my self at the street!! help SOS!
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

is it nomal to suck after a month of judo? Empty Re: is it nomal to suck after a month of judo?

Post by Cichorei Kano Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:34 am

jae kim wrote:i'm 16 yers old male, i've been doing judo for 1 month hahaha i know it's short but i don't understand why i can't perform the techniques correctly, or miss them completly,and thsi really piss me off! And i'm starting to lose hope to become someday an olympian, or at lleast a good fighter so i can defend my self at the street!! help SOS!

Yes, it is normal.

Also, it isn't just a matter of "how long" you have been doing judo, but "at what frequency". To make a steady progress, practising 3 times/week is recommended. If you only practice 1 time/week, any progress at that level is going to be severely limited and stalling.

At a frequency of  3 times/week it generally takes about 4 months or 60 lessons (within that period) to notice solid progress.

A very experienced judo teacher will notice your progress much earlier (usually after 20 lessons over a 6-7 week period) than you will actually sense that progress..
    jae kim

is it nomal to suck after a month of judo? Empty Re: is it nomal to suck after a month of judo?

Post by jae kim Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:49 am

i practise judo 3 times a week and weightlifting 4 times a week.
    Quicksilver
    Quicksilver

Post by Quicksilver Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:55 am

jae kim wrote:i'm 16 yers old male, i've been doing judo for 1 month hahaha i know it's short but i don't understand why i can't perform the techniques correctly, or miss them completly,and thsi really piss me off! And i'm starting to lose hope to become someday an olympian, or at lleast a good fighter so i can defend my self at the street!! help SOS!

Mate, I've been training for almost three years and still don't perform techniques correctly or consistently throw people. The general idea seems to be that Judo is something that you gotta practice dilligently for the order of years or decades to become genuinely technically skilled. It goes without saying that if you measure success by how frequently you throw people working on your general physical condition will help, but only to a point, and past a baseline of capability for training is just giving your Judo a paint job.

I think it is just the nature of the art and the biomechanically complicated skills you and I - and I suspect to varying degrees most Judoka - are in the process of learning; all I can suggest is to find something of worth to you in the practice of Judo other than the hope of what you might eventually be able to do, because if your practice is primarily or solely results orientated you'll likely be in for a rather frustrating time, particularly competitive success so absolute as that in elite competition. Perhaps try to find what you enjoy, and learn, in each training session, and focus on that?

I hope this helps, and the best of luck.

Last edited by Quicksilver on Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:19 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Typos)
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:07 am

jae kim wrote:i practise judo 3 times a week and weightlifting 4 times a week.

Jae Kim ... good job! Keep it up. It's said, I don't know if it's true, that it takes ten thousand hours to become an Olympian. So I am sure your math abilities are good enough to figure out how many hours a week you are training, and how many weeks it will take to reach that goal.

But ... please consider. It only takes one second to be a good judoka; that's the one second it takes to go to the dojo when you are tired or discouraged, or when you'd rather be with your friends doing something else, all those things that get in the way of teens going to practice.

Here's the flip side ... the work of becoming better at judo is never done. The real challenges will come when you want to keep practicing into your twenties, your thirties ... your seventies and eighties. Judo is not won on the medal stand ... that's at best a distraction ... judo is won when you become a certain kind of person who does not quit easily.

So ... for what it is worth I'll never tell you that you suck at judo as long as you keep studying and keep working. Dude, you've just started ... lighten up on yourself.
    Creamy creamy baileys
    Creamy creamy baileys

Post by Creamy creamy baileys Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:30 am

Perfectly normal. Keep going, Jae!

"Success is going from failure to failure, without loss of enthusiasm."

finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:35 am

It is normal to suck after 30 years of practice. And this applies to everybody (even CK).

Humans (this includes Judoka) have the ability to switch targets without realising it. If we throw two times for each one succesful throw we thing we can't throw. If we are not #1 in our group we suck. We don't compare ourselves to the person that started and what it knew, but against standard that we build in our mind which is ever improving and ever more capable.

If you listen to actresses and models that have been voted "very beautiful" they refer to problems in teir eyebrows and grease in their waist and are very critical and very unsatisfied with how they look.

If you read CK then you note he is very unhappy that he can not perform all kata to the standad that he thinks they should be performed. No matter that he can perform them at least 100 times better than me.

Try to measure your progress by recording what you learn and how you progress. Remeber that it is much easier to avoid to prevent throwing than to learn to throw. When learning Judo you and those you train with learn quickly to neutralize your throw attempts. Wait 6 months or a year when you get to train against new fresh judoka just starting to learn and you notice that you can wipe the floor with them i.e. you have learnt something.

Would you in school say that you have not learnt any math since you started in the first grade because you are not much better in math than your classmates.
    jkw

Post by jkw Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:51 am

BillC wrote:It's said, I don't know if it's true, that it takes ten thousand hours to become an Olympian.

If this is taken from Malcolm Gladwell's book, then I think it's more correct to say that in the examples sited, all Olympians trained for at least 10'000 hours, but not all those who trained for 10'000 hours became Olypmians. I think failure is the flipside to the 10'000 hour thesis that also needs to be accounted for.
    sydvicious
    sydvicious

Post by sydvicious Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:58 pm

I've been doing Judo for about 1.5 years and sometimes it still feels like it's my first time in the dojo!
    PJ

Post by PJ Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:44 pm

I've even seen REALLY GOOD black belts mess up a throw. They usually notice and either do it again (e.g. if teaching it) or move on. And what do you mean by a month? A full month, or a couple of ties a week per month?

Yes, it's normal. You'll get better.
    Raj Venugopal

Post by Raj Venugopal Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:58 am

I suck after 5 years of judo.
    But then again, I suck less than someone with one month of judo.
    And you suck less than someone with no judo.

PJ

Post by PJ Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:00 am

Forgot to mention, the way you react to messing up can get in the way. I was at a shukokai karate class once and on the first day I was starting to get bothered at messing up techniques. The girl who was teaching me told me that it didn't matter if I got them wrong (I think she said a bit more in the way of reassurance as well but I forgot what if she did). Just relax and don't listen to even high belts who tell you "you're not trying hard enough" or other nonsense. And ASK what you're doing wrong. If the other person is unhelpful or patronising, ask someone else. If all the instructors are that bad, however, sadly you're in a McDojo - despite regulation of judo via the BJA, such clubs still exist in judo, and if you're in one, find a different one.
    medo

Post by medo Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:31 am

PJ wrote:Forgot to mention, the way you react to messing up can get in the way. I was at a shukokai karate class once and on the first day I was starting to get bothered at messing up techniques. The girl who was teaching me told me that it didn't matter if I got them wrong (I think she said a bit more in the way of reassurance as well but I forgot what if she did). Just relax and don't listen to even high belts who tell you "you're not trying hard enough" or other nonsense. And ASK what you're doing wrong. If the other person is unhelpful or patronising, ask someone else. If all the instructors are that bad, however, sadly you're in a McDojo - despite regulation of judo via the BJA, such clubs still exist in judo, and if you're in one, find a different one.

Wow! Would like to say “sound advice” but I think you just gave away your age….

If a “high grade” suggests that you are not trying hard enough, perhaps it might be your just not trying hard enough….. No point in feeling miffed about it.

Please explain how the BJA regulates Judo in the UK? Presuming you only mean in the UK as this is an international forum.

What is your definition of a McDojo? If all the instructors are unhelpful or patronising, It’s a McDojo?

By the way i’m expecting to be pratronised on this one  Shocked

Luca98

Post by Luca98 Wed May 06, 2015 4:24 am

Dear,

i'm doing judo for like six, seven years now... I've 3rd kyu (i took a year off because of injuries and school stuff, and couldn't do my tests for the next kyu because this felt together with my schooltests)
    I'm 16 years old now, and even I still make mistakes...

There's no such sport which you can do for just a month and perform it perfectly.

Greets,
    new member of this forum
    Luca98
    3rd kyu

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:35 am