E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+2
DougNZ
KShaft
6 posters

Shoulder fatigue

KShaft

Shoulder fatigue Empty Shoulder fatigue

Post by KShaft Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:37 pm

Since starting judo, Ive had severe shoulder fatigue afterwards. Its not dissipating through training either like my shoulders are getting used to it... It makes my shoulder very unflexable and weak. For instance sitting down in a tub is very taxing as the deeper I "dip" the more it hurts and I usually plop down the last inch or two. It doesnt hurt during the practice. It also hurts if say Im standing up and there it a post to the right of me. Pretend Im doing an upright one handed push up on the post but with no resistance, just a stretch, that hurts as well.
    The right side is definitely worse off but the left suffers too. The range of motion is still intact so I dont think its a rotator cuff injury, Thank the Lord.

Im just wondering if this is common or perhaps I should get this looked at or perhaps some here know a home remedy or exercises to help it along?

Thank you,
    KS

DougNZ

Shoulder fatigue Empty Re: Shoulder fatigue

Post by DougNZ Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:49 pm

Get it looked at.

Also, have someone check your technique, particularly seoi nage and tai otoshi.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:48 pm

Get it looked at. There are a myriad of shoulder problems besides rotator cuff injuries (such as a shoulder impingement). If you find out your shoulders are healthy, then make sure your technique is good - talk with your instructor. Explain the problems you're having. Fix your technique or whatever else may be going on.

But first and foremost, get your shoulders looked at by a pro.
    judo66
    judo66

Post by judo66 Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:30 am

KShaft wrote: Since starting judo, Ive had severe shoulder fatigue afterwards. Its not dissipating through training either like my shoulders are getting used to it... It makes my shoulder very unflexable and weak. For instance sitting down in a tub is very taxing as the deeper I "dip" the more it hurts  and I usually plop down the last inch or two.  It doesnt hurt during the practice. It also hurts if say Im standing up and there it a post to the right of me. Pretend Im doing an upright one handed push up on the post but with no resistance, just a stretch, that hurts as well.
    The right side is definitely worse off but the left suffers too. The range of motion is still intact so I dont think its a rotator cuff injury, Thank the Lord.

Im just wondering if this is common or perhaps I should get this looked at or perhaps some here know a home remedy or exercises to help it along?

Thank you,
    KS

Most of the time that type of problem is due to the way someone use his tsurite (you didn't mention if you are right or left handed by the way). Have your sensei review the way you performed your techniques. In the past i've seen plenty of tsurite mistakes provoking this. It is not limited to tai otoshi or ippon seoi nage. It could be harai goshi, uchi mata, tusri komi goshi, sasae tsuri komi ashi or any techniques you must pull up in some way with your tsurite.
    KShaft

Post by KShaft Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:53 am

I am right handed.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:32 am

Doctor ... a real one.
    KShaft

Post by KShaft Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:34 pm

examined didnt think anything was wrong. Motrin, ice, some strengthening excercises. Could be muscle fatigue. Looks like nothing major however!
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:48 pm

KShaft wrote:examined didnt think anything was wrong. Motrin, ice, some strengthening excercises. Could be muscle fatigue. Looks like nothing major however!

There is no physiological phenomenon as ongoing fatigue of a singe body area and that would produce the symptoms you say. It is not because one fails to diagnose it that there is nothing wrong. It's a bit like, they haven't found the Malaysia Air 777 that went missing; that does not mean it did not go missing.
    KShaft

Post by KShaft Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:13 pm

well she was thinking tendonidas I think. I shouldnt have stated "nothing was wrong" sorry. But in truth it is really just inflamation from overuseage or overexertion.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:31 am

KShaft wrote:well she was thinking tendonidas I think. I shouldnt have stated "nothing was wrong" sorry. But in truth it is really just inflamation from overuseage or overexertion.  

Tendonitis is indeed the most likely diagnoses. The question then becomes, firstly, tendonitis of exactly which muscle (important to determine which movements exacerbate it), and secondly, how to treat it. Whilst indeed it is overusage or overexertion that produces this problem, I don't know if you should let these words precede by the word 'just'. The reason is that inflammation can get very severe and drag on for many years. The worst I had (in terms of duration) was Achilles tendonitis lasting more than 5 years. My previous record of tendonitis was 22 months, and I had several other episodes lasting from 12-14 months. Luckily in most people such extreme forms of tendonitis are rare, and they may just last a couple of weeks instead. Treatment strategy in terms of judo should include avoidance of explosive contractions, and high impact (ukemi hitting the tatami with the hands).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 pm