E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

5 posters

General Question

bobgalle100011

General Question Empty General Question

Post by bobgalle100011 Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:24 pm

Hi every one, Are there any self-defense tactics I can use without receiving specialized training?
    medo

General Question Empty Re: General Question

Post by medo Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:16 pm

bobgalle100011 wrote:Hi every one, Are there any self-defense tactics I can use without receiving specialized training?

Two questions, are you being bullied? Or do you feel you need self defense for your own peace of mind?
    DougNZ

Post by DougNZ Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:03 pm

bobgalle100011 wrote:Hi every one, Are there any self-defense tactics I can use without receiving specialized training?

Yes. Be aware of your environment. Avoid any place or situation that seems unsafe. Do not present as a victim.
    medo

Post by medo Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:59 pm

DougNZ wrote:

Yes.  Be aware of your environment.  Avoid any place or situation that seems unsafe.  Do not present as a victim.

Absolutely, but hes after tactics different tactics from a school bully playground situation where perhaps he cannot avoid the situation, than a bar brawl or a knife/gun situation .

Hence a couple of questions! just trying to prevent the saying "sledgehammer to crack a nut" Very Happy 

finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:50 am

Do not reveal your real name here!
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:16 am

nobody has the right to put their hands on you without your permission. If that threshold is ever crossed, your first action should be contacting the authorities.

Outside of that, it's a matter of what's really going on. School bullying is school bullying. Workplace harassment is workplace harassment. An idiot neighbor making life miserable is an idiot neighbor making life miserable - your response to each is different, and never involves putting hands on or shooting them if they aren't physically threatening you and making it apparent they are making good on that threat.

If it's a school bully sort of situation, contacting the powers that be within the school is a decent option. Others may include keeping a GoPro or video ap on your phone going whenever you have an encounter or are likely to have an encounter. Yet others include always having a few friends with you, tell your parents, transferring from one school to another, or talking with your guidance counselor. I'd always consult a trusted adult first and foremost, and make my decision about what to do from there.

Workplace remedies are a bit different, and you can consult an attorney about harassment issues at work, especially if you can document them. An attorney is valuable for dealing with a pain in the ass neighbor.

All that aside, you also need to repair your sense of authority over your life. Good ways to do that include therapy, martial arts classes, and other activities that give you a sense of control and physical prowess. The damage from those types of situations is not merely the threat of instant physical violence, but it undermines your sense of self, your belief in your own agency. So, make sure you pick something to do that will help you regain that sense of agency and self. Martial arts are great for that, but you can find it in other areas as well.
    DougNZ

Post by DougNZ Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:06 am

medo wrote:
    DougNZ wrote:

Yes.  Be aware of your environment.  Avoid any place or situation that seems unsafe.  Do not present as a victim.

Absolutely, but hes after tactics different tactics from a school bully playground situation where perhaps he cannot avoid the situation, than a bar brawl or a knife/gun situation  .

Hence a couple of questions! just trying to prevent the saying "sledgehammer to crack a nut" Very Happy 

Those are tactics that I gave.

Where does the OP say he's being bullied at school? Until he says as much, you are second-guessing him.
    medo

Post by medo Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:06 am

[quote="DougNZ"]
    medo wrote:
    DougNZ wrote:

Absolutely, but hes after tactics different tactics from a school bully playground situation where perhaps he cannot avoid the situation, than a bar brawl or a knife/gun situation  .

Those are tactics that I gave.

Yep thats why I agreed with you

I read the OPs question as tactic = what techniques without years of practice, I was just asking about he's situation until he gets back to us your advice is spot on....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:14 am