E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

5 posters

Canada Wins Silver at World Championships!

Lurker

Canada Wins Silver at World Championships! Empty Canada Wins Silver at World Championships!

Post by Lurker Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:39 am

Congratulations to Antoine Valois-Fortier of Canada, winner of the Silver Medal at –81 Kg! cheers cheers cheers
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Canada Wins Silver at World Championships! Empty Re: Canada Wins Silver at World Championships!

Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:04 am

Lurker wrote:Congratulations to Antoine Valois-Fortier of Canada, winner of the Silver Medal at –81 Kg! cheers cheers cheers

I haven't seen the match yet, but I can only echo your sentiment. I had the pleasure of doing some newaza with Antoine once, and was impressed by his technique, not the kind of mere power bulldozer-like Eastern European judoka. He also appeared to me as a genuinely nice and down-to-earth person on the tatami, which with so many elite jûdôka often is not the case at all. So, congrats to him ! So, it seems that a worthy successor of Nic Gill, though in a different weight category, has been found. I think that Antoine will be an excellent judo ambassador in fulfilling that function.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Canada Wins Silver at World Championships! Empty Re: Canada Wins Silver at World Championships!

Post by Ben Reinhardt Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:53 am

Lurker wrote:Congratulations to Antoine Valois-Fortier of Canada, winner of the Silver Medal at –81 Kg! cheers cheers cheers

Sincere congrats from me as well, Antoine is a fine young man who works very, very hard, and is already giving back to the Judo world.

I've mentioned in a a previous thead (here or at the previous JF) that our club hosted a "clinic" that featured Antoine. I'll repeat the story of how that happened here to reinforce what CK wrote in his reply to the OP.

One of my junior students was at a Judo Canada training camp (I believe it was in Saskatchewan) a couple of years ago. Antoine had just placed at the Olympics (yes, beating American Travis Stevens, another fine young man and judoka). At that camp, there was a challenge given out by Antoine that any junior judoka (these were little kids) who could throw him could ask him for a prize. No, it wasn't randori, LOL, just move and throw...Antoine is very tall, so for kid to throw him requires some sort of reasonable skill.

My student and one or two others were able to throw him for ippon (mine with a left Ippon Seoi Nage from a right grip, FWIW).

So my student asked Antoine to come to our very small town and dojo to give a clinic...others asked for Nintendo or something, LOL!

In any case, he said OK, call Nic Gill to make arrangements, which was done, so we had a regional clinic featuring Antoine.

In any case, he is certainly a fine young man, well coached and mentored by Nic Gill (another great guy), who worked very well with the kids and our compliment of teen judoka as well. Well on his way to being a strong contributor to Judo in Canada for sure, and wherever else he chooses to go.

Congrats again on the silver !
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:55 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:

I haven't seen the match yet, but I can only echo your sentiment. I had the pleasure of doing some newaza with Antoine once, and was impressed by his technique, not the kind of mere power bulldozer-like Eastern European judoka. He also appeared to me as a genuinely nice and down-to-earth person on the tatami, which with so many elite jûdôka often is not the case at all. So, congrats to him !  So, it seems that a worthy successor of Nic Gill, though in a different weight category, has been found. I think that Antoine will be an excellent judo ambassador in fulfilling that function.

He is very technique/skill oriented, despite being very impressive physically, and understands what he is doing, standing as well as on the ground, and was able to transmit that at the necessary levels. Quite a well rounded person for sure !

Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:42 am

Video semi finals at 28:50. Finals 1:27:15
    Neil G
    Neil G

Post by Neil G Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:17 am

Detailed report here.

Canada Wins Silver at World Championships! 81KG-VALOISFORTIERCAN-PIETRIFRA-8384-240x300
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:40 am

Japan Times
    Nun Ira collects silver at judo worlds
    KYODO
    AUG 29, 2014

CHELYABINSK, RUSSIA – Karen Nun Ira won the silver medal in the women’s under-70 kg class on Friday, the fifth day of the World Judo Championships.

The 23-year-old Nun Ira, making her first appearance at the world championships and ranked 38th in the world, defeated Croatia’s Barbara Matic in the semifinals before losing by ippon on a minor inner reap move to defending champion Yuri Alvear of Colombia.

“I could do nothing but attack head on and go for all I was worth,” said Nun Ira, who has a Japanese mother and a Ghanaian father. “I thought that if my opponent were able to counter, there was little I could do.”

It was Japan’s best result in the weight class at the worlds since Masae Ueno won the gold in 2003.

Matthew Baker, wrestling for Japan in the men’s under-90 kg class, crashed out in the second round, while Ruika Sato was knocked out in the third round of the women’s under-78 kg division.

Global recognition: Karen Nun Ira (left) earns a silver medal in the women's under-70 kg division at the World Judo Championships on Friday in Copenhagen. | KYODO

JUDO
    Tashiro earns under 63-kg bronze at judo worlds
    Nakaya, Udaka collect judo golds
    Tokyo expected to host 2019 or 2020 judo worlds: Vizer
    Judoka Ojitani prevails against Kamikawa for national title
    Lurker

Post by Lurker Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:47 am

Hi Lance - thanks for the update - however, I think this thread is wandering so pardon me if I bring it back on topic.

Canada! CANADA! Ca! Na! Da! rendeer (sorry no maple leaf Smilie available...)

There. I feel better.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:21 pm

Lurker wrote:Hi Lance - thanks for the update - however, I think this thread is wandering so pardon me if I bring it back on topic.

Canada! CANADA! Ca! Na! Da! rendeer (sorry no maple leaf Smilie available...)

There. I feel better.

Canada Wins Silver at World Championships! Sticker,375x360
    Lurker

Post by Lurker Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:22 am

Oh what fun! Thanks CK! A special Canadian prize package is on its way to you, including a bottle of Maple Syrup, a CD of Celine Dion's greatest hits, and a Wayne Gretzky Hockey Stick!

Oh, and an igloo defroster too.... thumbup1

Canada! CANADA! Ca! Na! Da!
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:24 am

Lurker wrote:Oh what fun! Thanks CK! A special Canadian prize package is on its way to you, including a bottle of Maple Syrup, a CD of Celine Dion's greatest hits, and a Wayne Gretzky Hockey Stick!

Oh, and an igloo defroster too.... thumbup1

Canada! CANADA! Ca! Na! Da!

I wouldn't mind trying out one of them igloo defrosters I've seen with some frequency in Montreal ...

Canada Wins Silver at World Championships! IMG_3701

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:28 pm