E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+4
rico
noboru
Ryvai
NBK
8 posters

Solo training

NBK
    NBK

Solo training  Empty Solo training

Post by NBK Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:17 am

I was reading a late 1920's Japanese judo book this week, and it has entire chapters devoted to solo technical drills. These included osotogari, ippon seionage, and others. Mostly placing the hands in simulated positions of gripping uke, and then stepping through the motions of the technique. Right, back, left, back..... repeat.....

I've used this in instructing some students, but can't recall if I've ever seen these in an English judo book. Not just illustrations of the moves, but rather specific drills teaching specific throws.

Anyone know of examples?

NBK
    Ryvai
    Ryvai

Solo training  Empty Re: Solo training

Post by Ryvai Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:56 pm

NBK wrote:I was reading a late 1920's Japanese judo book this week, and it has entire chapters devoted to solo technical drills.  These included osotogari, ippon seionage, and others. Mostly placing the hands in simulated positions of gripping uke, and then stepping through the motions of the technique. Right, back, left, back..... repeat.....

I've used this in instructing some students, but can't recall if I've ever seen these in an English judo book.  Not just illustrations of the moves, but rather specific drills teaching specific throws.

Anyone know of examples?

NBK  

I am not entirely sure if this is what you mean, but there is tandoku-renshu i use for O-soto-gari where you hop on one leg reaping while use the hands as you would with uke, still hopping on the same place. Not only does it require some technique, it is also very tiresome. I really enjoy this exercise while waiting my turn when we are not even numbers in the dojo.

Here demonstrated by Katanishi;
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:21 pm

Interesting - that's the sort of exercise I meant.

Perhaps a small point, but in this one he doesn't get the upper body involved. It's just hand and leg, mostly.
    noboru
    noboru

Solo training  Empty tandoku renshu 単独練習

Post by noboru Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:25 am

Isao Okano - A Passion For Judo - Seoinage tandoku renshu from 12:05
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ip_gSTiUM

or directly in this blog
    Improve your Judo with these 5 solo training methods you can do at home!
    http://beyondgrappling.com/solo-judo-drills/

大外刈、大内刈の単独練習 - exercise for Osotogari / may be for Ouchigari
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fEPqx6uMeo

出足払の単独練習 - exercise for Deashibarai
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSMd50bqsSQ

つばめ返しの練習 -  exercise for Cubamegaeshi
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY9ABBEXHM8

'tandoku renshu' refers to any solo practice - shadow kata, shadow randori, tai sabaki practice (both stand and on the ground), use of cables or rubber-bands for uchikomi. Tandoku-renshû 単独練習 (solo practice) is the opposite of sôtai-renshû 相対練習 (exercise with a partner).

Next:
    Renraku waza: tandoku renshu Ouchigari -> Kenken uchimata
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfnmwi66SMk

Improve your Judo with these 5 solo training methods you can do at home!
    http://beyondgrappling.com/solo-judo-drills/

Last edited by noboru on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:37 am; edited 3 times in total
    rico

Post by rico Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:30 am

I believe there are some in "Judo Training Methods" by Draeger.
    noboru
    noboru

Solo training  Empty "Judo Training Methods" by Draeger

Post by noboru Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:40 am

rico wrote:I believe there are some in "Judo Training Methods" by Draeger.

Yes.

http://books.google.cz/books?id=vgbRAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT278&lpg=PT278&dq=draeger+tandoku+renshu&source=bl&ots=b5yVu30GdO&sig=g-gwPTs8o-1avta_99oKeIHxIyk&hl=cs&sa=X&ei=aiYgVOXkL4jSaM_hgpAG&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=draeger%20tandoku%20renshu&f=false
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:15 am

Tandoku Renshuu, right?

Go through the motions for the throw or groundwork solo...that's about it.

That would include various drills using the wall for Osoto Gari, Uchi Mata, Harai Goshi, Ouchi Gari, Kouchi Gari. For the latter two, using a wall (facing wall) is a good way to get practice keeping the hips square during the entry. It gives a reference point...

Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:08 am

People seem to forget that tandoku renshû is also a crucial way of training for kata. One of my teachers hammered on this, rejected the excuse when his students used to complain that they couldn't practice kata enough because they didn't have a a good partner of the same weight and rank. My teachers would then promptly show the entire nage-no-kata, first as tori, than as uke, all by himself. It was spectacular and contained far more spirit than any performance by any couple you commonly see today !
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:40 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:People seem to forget that tandoku renshû is also a crucial way of training for kata. One of my teachers hammered on this, rejected the excuse when his students used to complain that they couldn't practice kata enough because they didn't have a a good partner of the same weight and rank. My teachers would then promptly show the entire nage-no-kata, first as tori, than as uke, all by himself. It was spectacular and contained far more spirit than any performance by any couple you commonly see today !

Due to my lack of training partners for kata, I did that very thing for Nage no Kata and Katame no Kata for shodan, nidan, and sandan.

The uke part looks pretty strange...

BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:07 am

Ben Reinhardt wrote:

Due to my lack of training partners for kata, I did that very thing for Nage no Kata and Katame no Kata for shodan, nidan, and sandan.

Put some light weights ... 3 to 5 lbs maximum ... in your hands and perform the entire kata exactly as you would with hands up ... pushing, pulling, heaving, etc. Kind of changes one's perception of endurance about half way through uchimata if you do it right.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:05 am

BillC wrote:
    Ben Reinhardt wrote:

Put some light weights ... 3 to 5 lbs maximum ... in your hands and perform the entire kata exactly as you would with hands up ... pushing, pulling, heaving, etc.  Kind of changes one's perception of endurance about half way through uchimata if you do it right.

Heaving? No heaving in my kata, sir! Only centered movement on my part, uke does all that sweaty, physical stuff !
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:14 am

Ben Reinhardt wrote:
    BillC wrote:
    Ben Reinhardt wrote:

Put some light weights ... 3 to 5 lbs maximum ... in your hands and perform the entire kata exactly as you would with hands up ... pushing, pulling, heaving, etc.  Kind of changes one's perception of endurance about half way through uchimata if you do it right.

Heaving? No heaving in my kata, sir! Only centered movement on my part, uke does all that sweaty, physical stuff !

Heaving, I like that word heaving, even if it is effortless heaving of uke, even if most of the heaving I see this days comes from over-active 20-something stomachs while I am yelling "heave over the rail, not down the stairs, we don't have a hose that reaches that far!"

NBK and I agreed that we both like the feel of the word "defenestration" as well ... which involves a different but so far imaginary kind of heaving ... useful fantasization while doing tandoku renshu.

P.S. - the USJF kata conference is in Boise next year ... any chance of you going down-State to join it?
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:07 am

BillC wrote:
    Ben Reinhardt wrote:
    BillC wrote:
    Ben Reinhardt wrote:

Heaving, I like that word heaving, even if it is effortless heaving of uke, even if most of the heaving I see this days comes from over-active 20-something stomachs while I am yelling "heave over the rail, not down the stairs, we don't have a hose that reaches that far!"

NBK and I agreed that we both like the feel of the word "defenestration" as well ... which involves a different but so far imaginary kind of heaving ... useful fantasization while doing tandoku renshu.

P.S. - the USJF kata conference is in Boise next year ... any chance of you going down-State to join it?

It's a possibility. I'm not a member currently of any US judo organizations. However, I do know a couple of great brew pubs in Boise...

What does one do at a USJF Kata Conference anyway ?
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:36 am

Ben Reinhardt wrote:
    BillC wrote:

It's a possibility. I'm not a member currently of any US judo organizations. However, I do know a couple of great brew pubs in Boise...

It's mostly a superficial and quick review of the 7 common kata of Kodokan judo. Tends to be divided into two groups ... "who knows what comes next?" ... the people that do and the people that don't. Just a nice way to meet new judoka from around the country who are interested in studying kata ... if not just to get a certificate of participation for their next promotion. Everyone demonstrates every kata ... at least in part.

Some relatively influential people in US judo often show up. Good chance to share a few meals, shake a few hands, talk about "who do you know that I know." Among yudansha, it's probably a unique opportunity to do so without the pressure of coaching or fighting the next day.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:08 am

BillC wrote:
    Ben Reinhardt wrote:
    BillC wrote:

It's mostly a superficial and quick review of the 7 common kata of Kodokan judo.  Tends to be divided into two groups ... "who knows what comes next?" ... the people that do and the people that don't.  Just a nice way to meet new judoka from around the country who are interested in studying kata ... if not just to get a certificate of participation for their next promotion.  Everyone demonstrates every kata ... at least in part.

Some relatively influential people in US judo often show up.  Good chance to share a few meals, shake a few hands, talk about "who do you know that I know."  Among yudansha, it's probably a unique opportunity to do so without the pressure of coaching or fighting the next day.

I'll check it out on the JF website. It would be nice to meet you and perhaps get back into the US Judo scene a bit. If I can show up I'll be your uke.

Reinberger
    Reinberger

Post by Reinberger Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:33 am

Talking about books, some of the Ippon Books serie include Tandoku renshū in the form of Hitori uchikomi: Nakanishi Hidetoshi's edition for Seoi nage, Jean-Luc Rouge's for Harai goshi, Yamashita Yasuhiro's for O soto gari, and Sato Nobuyuki's edition for other Ashi waza, at least.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:10 pm