E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+3
JudoStu
Cichorei Kano
Jonesy
7 posters

Silk/satin obi

Jonesy
    Jonesy

Silk/satin obi Empty Silk/satin obi

Post by Jonesy Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:15 pm

Anybody wear a satin/silk finished obi for judo? I saw one on a newly minted shodan the other day and realised I had not seen one for years.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Silk/satin obi Empty Re: Silk/satin obi

Post by Cichorei Kano Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:23 am

Jonesy wrote:Anybody wear a satin/silk finished obi for judo?  I saw one on a newly minted shodan the other day and realised I had not seen one for years.

I have one but I don't wear it. I try to adhere to most of the Japanese aesthetic and bushidô guidelines (ref. the Hagakure) that reject flashy clothing in budô, which does not mean that silk is per se flashy, but at shodan level as you mention it also does not really yield a message of ... "proportionate modesty" ...
    JudoStu
    JudoStu

Post by JudoStu Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:21 pm

Jonesy wrote:Anybody wear a satin/silk finished obi for judo?  I saw one on a newly minted shodan the other day and realised I had not seen one for years.

Wouldn't a silk belt be quite likely to tear?
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:22 am

JudoStu wrote:

Wouldn't a silk belt be quite likely to tear?

Note that the original question was about both satin and silk. The two are not the same; satin is cotton, brushed cotton, silk is an entirely different fabric. In some budô such as karate, satin is worn more. Some argue that one of the reasons is because it easier and quicker leads to losing color and looking more worn out in order to give yourself an aura of being very experienced to others. As to the longevity of those belt, just like any other belt today they are all filled with a single or folded felt strip or something in another fabrick with the stitches that are made through it making the belt stiffer and stronger. With the increase in international competitions under IJF banner an increasing number of regulations came in place about everything, size of tatami, material of tatami, and the same for gi or belt, which today even have to carry an IJF label. It wasn't that complicated in the past and belt were worn and tied in very differnt ways sometimes characteristic for someone's originating school, which today is still the case in several koryû in the way their members' hakama are tied.

Another important thing is that in Japanese arts (tea ceremony, calligraphy, flower arrangements, budô) aesthetics, that is to say "Japanese aesthetics" play a very significant role, and in Japanese aesthetics the naturalness of anything and anybody is crucial. Silk in that respect is a very natural material, made by natural occurring animals. Aesthetically, at least for someone who actually grasps Japanese aesthetics --which is't exactly a characteristic of the average jûdôka, silk scores very well, just like a natural color off-white jûdôgi conforms such criteria, and things such a blue gi and flashy stuff such as colored rashguard is the absolute opposite.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:10 am

Satin is a finish, silk is a material. Some people insist that satin can only be made from silk fibres - others do not. In judo the outside of the belt is finished in silk/satin - it still has a filed core. Though some Chinese arts have a simple silk sash.

Frayed effect is this:
    Silk/satin obi Frayed%20black%20belt
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:25 am

I have never seen one on a judo mat. I only have 2 belts. One a fairly new, embroidered black belt. Which was a gift for my sandan. Also my original belt I had for my shodan, which I am afraid to say is very frayed and fading colour.
    A silk belt for shodan? A bit ostentatious for me.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:18 am

tafftaz wrote:I have never seen one on a judo mat. I only have 2 belts. One a fairly new, embroidered black belt. Which was a gift for my sandan. Also my original belt I had for my shodan, which I am afraid to say is very frayed and fading colour.

Here's a recent picture of me wearing one while teaching shizenshontai:

Silk/satin obi Elvis03
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:44 am

Ah hah hah.....Thank you very much
    Heisenberg
    Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:49 am

Elvis Presley! Very Happy
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    tafftaz wrote:I have never seen one on a judo mat. I only have 2 belts. One a fairly new, embroidered black belt. Which was a gift for my sandan. Also my original belt I had for my shodan, which I am afraid to say is very frayed and fading colour.

Here's a recent picture of me wearing one while teaching shizenshontai:

Silk/satin obi Elvis03
    Elvis at Kang Rhee Taekwondo in Memphis! I grew up outside Memphis when Elvis was Kang Rhee's student.
    http://kangrhee.com/elvis/
    Of course, Master Rhee's skills have now superseded Taekwondo itself and has his own style..... I guess handing out chartreuse belts wasn't jazzy enough.
    butokumelbourne

Post by butokumelbourne Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:32 pm

I have had one and know people who have them. Unless you examine a black silk obi closely you wouldn't tell it from cotton, it is not very glossy. There was a Irish Olympic rep who preferred a silk obi as it came undone more easily, allowing him a breather when he had to tie it in competition.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:46 am