E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+13
noboru
Stevens
Raj Venugopal
Steve Leadbeater
Allen
JudoSensei
hobit
icb
Ben Reinhardt
Carlos Graña
Jonesy
tafftaz
JudoStu
17 posters

What grade is the senior coach at your club?

JudoStu
    JudoStu

What grade is the senior coach at your club? Empty What grade is the senior coach at your club?

Post by JudoStu Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:39 pm

Just curious to know what dan grade your senior coach/sensei holds at your club. If you are the senior coach what grade are you?

I'll start with the three clubs I train at.
    In club number 1 the head coach is a 1st dan
    Club 2 - 6th dan, 4th dan and lots of 3rd dans
    Club 3 - 4th dan

tafftaz

What grade is the senior coach at your club? Empty Re: What grade is the senior coach at your club?

Post by tafftaz Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:08 pm

Me ,sandan.

However I have seen plenty of coaches at 4th,5th dan and above who are clueless.
    One of the finest coaches I practised with was a shodan for many years.

Rank does not always make you a good judoka...player or coach.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

What grade is the senior coach at your club? Empty Re: What grade is the senior coach at your club?

Post by Jonesy Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:50 pm

I agree with tafftaz. Rank in the main is about personal profficiency. Coaching/teaching is about being able to impart knowledge and develop skill in a structured, coherent and sound way. The two are not the same. Soccer gets this with the most successful coaches rarely having stellar, if any, playing career. Judo pretends to get it, but suffers from an ant-intellectual "show us your medals" culture that undoubtedly is holding it back. Wittness this interview.

JudoStu
    JudoStu

Post by JudoStu Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:23 am

tafftaz wrote:Me ,sandan.

However I have seen plenty of coaches at 4th,5th dan and above who are clueless.
    One of the finest coaches I practised with was a shodan for many years.

Rank does not always make you a good judoka...player or coach.

Oh I agree, I was just curious to see what the norm is across different countries. My main coach is a shodan and I trust him implicitly. He encourages his students to train at other clubs to experience different styles of coaching and to practice with lots of different people.
    Carlos Graña

Post by Carlos Graña Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:22 am

In my club, the sensei is Nidan.

In the other club, I train at thhe sensei is Go dan

Neither have problems that I train at both clubs. I understand that some sensei don't like this. You train only at one club kind of thing.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:58 am

Sandan, being me. However, one of my students, a shodan, has a higher coach certification than I do, so depends on what you mean by senior.
    icb
    icb

Post by icb Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:42 am

The senior instructor is a 7th dan.

We also have two 5th dans, one 4th dan, two 3rd dans and several 2nd and 1st dans.

hobit

Post by hobit Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:01 am

The main Coaches are 2 x 5th dans a 4th dan, and 2nd Dan. We have a 6th dan who helps out at various classes.
    JudoSensei
    JudoSensei

Post by JudoSensei Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:04 am

7, 4, 3, 2, and 1
    Allen
    Allen

Post by Allen Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:12 am

GoDan
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:27 am

6th, 5th and 1st in one club, 2nd at another and 1st (me)at the third club
    Raj Venugopal

Post by Raj Venugopal Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:36 pm

7, 4, 4, 4, 4, 2, 2, 2.
    not including non-coaching nidans/shodans.
    JudoStu
    JudoStu

Post by JudoStu Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:40 pm

Raj Venugopal wrote:7, 4, 4, 4, 4, 2, 2, 2.
    not including non-coaching nidans/shodans.

Wow, is your club quite large?
    Raj Venugopal

Post by Raj Venugopal Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:46 pm

Yes, it is a community and university club. Sensei is also an IJF and Olympic ref, and head of Canada's national grading board. We are fortunate to have such a deep bench of diverse instructors. This adds a lot to the classes, as they are all quite different in approach, style and expertise.
    Stevens
    Stevens

Post by Stevens Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:43 am

9,7,7,6,6,5,5,etc.
    noboru
    noboru

Post by noboru Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:41 am

Stevens wrote:9,7,7,6,6,5,5,etc.

very nice - dream dojo

In our dojo: was 5, 3, 3, 2... The highest dan stopped practice judo as 45 years old (was onetime medailist from Olympic Games and twotime medailist from World Championship)  and became an evangelist (Protestant Church).
    Today only 3, 3, 2... all are/was very good sport judokas -  no traditional view of judo
    Stevens
    Stevens

Post by Stevens Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:40 pm

noboru wrote:
    Stevens wrote:9,7,7,6,6,5,5,etc.

very nice - dream dojo

In our dojo: was 5, 3, 3, 2... The highest dan stopped practice judo as 45 years old (was onetime medailist from Olympic Games and twotime medailist from World Championship)  and became an evangelist (Protestant Church).
    Today only 3, 3, 2... all are/was very good sport judokas -  no traditional view of judo

I never thought about it, but now you mention it. It is a dream dojo! I must say the sensei is a 7th dan (while the 9th dan sensei has still a busy judolife). The 7th dan sensei (54 years)was a national champion, won international medals, bronze europe teams and participated in WC of 1981 Maastricht. The oldest is a 7th dan of 73 and fit! Only one young man in his 20's and the rest above 46 years. Most traditional judo and some views at sportsjudo, cause the sensei is still coaching high level talents for the NGB.
    sydvicious
    sydvicious

Post by sydvicious Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:36 pm

We have three "official" coaches who are 6th, 3rd and 2nd Dan
    Then we also have two players who do the odd coaching session and they are 3rd and 1st Dan.
    luizpavani
    luizpavani

Post by luizpavani Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:03 am

I am the ahead coach in my dojos - I am a Go-dan.

And I train and teach at another club where the head coaches are a Nana-dan and a Go-dan.
    judo66
    judo66

Post by judo66 Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:45 am

I am the head coach of my club as well. Godan.
    Davaro
    Davaro

Post by Davaro Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:15 pm

luizpavani wrote: ....the head coaches are a Nana-dan....

Forgive my ignorance but what is a "Nana-dan"?

luizpavani
    luizpavani

Post by luizpavani Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:53 pm

@Davaro

Nana-dan = Shichi-dan = 7th degree black belt

Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:53 pm