E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+2
GregW
heikojr
6 posters

First class this Wednesday 11/4 Sawtelle Judo in Los Angeles

tommy2days

First class this Wednesday 11/4 Sawtelle Judo in Los Angeles Empty First class this Wednesday 11/4 Sawtelle Judo in Los Angeles

Post by tommy2days Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:28 am

Hi Everyone. I will be attending my first class this Wednesday. What should I expect and how should I handle my nerves? I know I will be nervous and hopefully won't tire too quickly because of this. The classes are 2 hrs long. I have watched two classes and it seems very intense. I was told the beginners will be separated from the main group for the first two weeks or so. I have trained in BJJ for about a year and a half but have not trained for 6 months. I am older (46) but feel pretty good since I work out regularly and surf 2-3 times a week. Wish me luck. Thanks Tom.
    heikojr
    heikojr

First class this Wednesday 11/4 Sawtelle Judo in Los Angeles Empty Re: First class this Wednesday 11/4 Sawtelle Judo in Los Angeles

Post by heikojr Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:15 pm

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your class! I'm sure you'll love judo!

Don't worry about keeping up with the class just keep up with yourself!

heikojr
    GregW

First class this Wednesday 11/4 Sawtelle Judo in Los Angeles Empty Re: First class this Wednesday 11/4 Sawtelle Judo in Los Angeles

Post by GregW Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:39 pm

Best of luck to you! Your nerves will be gone after the first 10 minutes. Enjoy the journey.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:54 pm

Tell Kenji-sensei and Pamela that I said hello ...
    Richard Riehle

Post by Richard Riehle Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:44 am

tommy2days wrote:Hi Everyone. I will be attending my first class this Wednesday. What should I expect and how should I handle my nerves? I know I will be nervous and hopefully won't tire too quickly because of this. The classes are 2 hrs long. I have watched two classes and it seems very intense. I was told the beginners will be separated from the main group for the first two weeks or so. I have trained in BJJ for about a year and a half but have not trained for 6 months. I am older (46) but feel pretty good since I work out regularly and surf 2-3 times a week. Wish me luck. Thanks Tom.
    You have chosen an great dojo, as well as one of best instructors possible. The head sensei is exceptionally good with technical Judo, and if you pay attention, you will learn the right way to do things from the very beginning. In addition, once you are ready for randori, you will find yourself pleased with the combination of respect and skill that is typical of Sawtelle dojo members.
    tommy2days

Post by tommy2days Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:35 pm

Thank you everyone for your response. I actually start tomorrow and I am excited about the training. Thanks again.
    Tom
    tommy2days

Post by tommy2days Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:34 am

Hello everyone. Made it through the first two weeks of Judo. Participated in my first Randori yesterday. I'm a little sore but overall in good health. I have to learn how to relax and "go with the flow." Some guys did let me throw them fairly easy while some others slightly resisted or didn't let me throw them at all. I was basically their throwing dummy which I didn't mind too much since this is how I'll learn.
    Learning the Japanese terminology I feel will be the most challenging for me since I don't have a great memory. I picked up a book called "The Canon of Judo" By Kyuzo Mifune. I hope this is a good reference. Any suggestions please let me know. Thanks. Tom.

Also, Everyone was really helpful and patient with this awkward beginner. Very Happy
    JudoSensei
    JudoSensei

Post by JudoSensei Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:33 am

Congratulations. It sounds like you are doing fine so far. The first few steps are always the most awkward, but it will eventually come together.

You might like my book, Judo Unleashed, which is a good introduction and reference for what you are learning. See judounleashed.com.
    tommy2days

Post by tommy2days Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:19 am

Thank you JudoSensei. I truly enjoy Judo. It is spiritually and physically gratifying. I will definitely check out your book. I know the more comfortable I become the more I'll enjoy Judo. Thank you.
    Tom

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 am