E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

I know this is a stupid question but...

clesters

I know this is a stupid question but... Empty I know this is a stupid question but...

Post by clesters Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:11 pm

What are the rules of Judo?  When I was a kid, we tried to throw, then rolled till submission or exhaustion.  We didn't do competition rules.

I watch Olympic Judo, and it seems that they try a throw, fail, try to establish a dominant position, then get stood up?
    I never see any armbar attempts or chokes?

What's with the square?  Is that some sort of out of bounds?

Thanks, and sorry,
    Shawn
    Jacob3
    Jacob3

I know this is a stupid question but... Empty Re: I know this is a stupid question but...

Post by Jacob3 Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:55 am

Well, it is not at all a stupid question. But a very difficult one to answer. It depends on what you are trying to ask.

Your first question is, what the rules of Judo are.
    Well, there is only one real rule in Judo. You alway's take care of your partner(s) and do your utmost best not to damage them in any way.

However, reading further, I think you are in fact asking what the GOAL of Judo is, since you are referring to submission.
    Well, the real goal of Judo is just your development and that of your partners ( in the broadest sense ).

This is probably not at all the answer you were looking for Very Happy

I guess you are mostly wondering why you don't most of the techniques you know, in competition these days. Well..... join the club....
    I cannot at all explain the modern day competition rules. Every time when I think I start to understand them, they are changed again. Nowaday's competition has become more of a spectator sport ( and a very poor one ). The public is not interested in people who are rolling on the floor and try to prepare any ground techniques. That is why they only have a few seconds time in newaza. Since that is often too short to accomplish something seriously, many competitors dont even bother anymore. And since in tachiwaza many techniques are banned alltogether, about 80% of Judo is lost in competition. So dont mix up Judo with competition. They are two quite different things.
    r12477

I know this is a stupid question but... Empty Re: I know this is a stupid question but...

Post by r12477 Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:02 pm

If you have some time (and the inclination), the current formal definition of IJF rules can be found at http://www.intjudo.eu/Rules/IJF_Referee_Rules (although there have been some amendments with respect to interpretation since this time).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:23 am