E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+2
noboru
jkw
6 posters

Embroidered name on the obi ?

noboru
    noboru

Embroidered name on the obi ? Empty Embroidered name on the obi ?

Post by noboru Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:27 am

Do you have your name on your obi (embroidered in the yudansha obi)? I not I prefer simply obi without additions, I thought that it is not important for practice, but .....

I saw some photos of medailist from japanese championships (from All Japan Judo Federation Facebook page)  They used the Mizuno gold (with IJF approved label) type obi often and their obi contain some japanese kanji with their name (surname).
    Embroidered name on the obi ? All
    Embroidered name on the obi ? C964195bf8cd1cd0f5a3bde71b233b7e
    I saw the name of obi in Europen judokas too time to time (in latin characters).
    It is caprice only or anything else?

I dont know how is it in judo exactly - in some Budo is anything similar... the carrying of name on own equipment is politeness and it makes easier be adress (connect, appeal) by sensei (japanese mainly), next is identifying during shiai
    In modern ZNKR iaido iaidokas used nafuda (nameplate on the left side chest on their gi) during practice outside their home dojo.
    Embroidered name on the obi ? Sensei_iaido-rework
    Embroidered name on the obi ? IMG_4763-Medium

In modern kendo kendokas used zeken (nameplate on the tare - part of kendo armor) - allways.
    Embroidered name on the obi ? Kendo
    Embroidered name on the obi ? 220px-Kendo_EM_2005_-_taiatari

Some japanese manufacturers of judo equipment give some informations for name on the belt.
    Embroidered name on the obi ? Shisyu-name-obi_4
    Embroidered name on the obi ? Shisyu-name-obi_1

Embroidered name on the obi ? Mitubosisisyuu
    帯刺繍概要◆-----------------
    1 Embroidery fonts and print body only
    1 Embroidery location / coat: (1) or (2) pants: (Cool or (9), select
    * Embroidery at the 3, 4, 5 will be estimated separately.
    1 Embroidered letters and 'last name', 'name', 'last name', and other (fill to the remarks field)
    1 Embroidery thread color and black, red and gold tea (orange), gold, silver

It looks like that embroidered name on the obi is common in japanese judo...  IJF judokas uses the backnumbers in this time, the name on obi could be just the little bit traditional way.
    Thank you for your explanation about it, if you have some own experiences.
    jkw

Embroidered name on the obi ? Empty Re: Embroidered name on the obi ?

Post by jkw Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:17 am

When I was at high school my mother made me label all my sports gear to avoid it getting mixed up with everybody else's and to make lost property easier to find.

Most people doing judo in Japan are at high school/university. They also have mothers - thus belts, jackets and trousers are labelled.
    noboru
    noboru

Post by noboru Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:26 pm

jkw wrote:When I was at high school my mother made me label all my sports gear to avoid it getting mixed up with everybody else's and to make lost property easier to find.

Most people doing judo in Japan are at high school/university. They also have mothers - thus belts, jackets and trousers are labelled.

Very Happy +1
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:28 pm

jkw wrote:When I was at high school my mother made me label all my sports gear to avoid it getting mixed up with everybody else's and to make lost property easier to find.

I haven't looked in a long time but the Kodokan recommends marking keikogi with names for children - but most simply mark it, either visibly or inside the neck of the 'gi.

Most adult Japanese judoka I see have their name and dojo on their obi, maybe not visibly on their gi, but I think there's usually a marking or name someplace. You spend a couple of hundred $$ on a keikogi you want to be able to identify it....

NBK
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:21 am

In the Kodokan they have a rack where you can hang up and leave your judogi after practice - it is therefore essential that you have your name on it. Trousers and obi also get left so ditto. It is also handy to have your name on your obi so that sensei can see it.

In Japan it also also relatively common to have kanji for your dojo / school / university / company on your judogi jacket.

As to names in Romanji - all sort of fonts are used - recursive script, capitals etc etc - I have seen lots of variations.
    big_budo
    big_budo

Post by big_budo Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:33 am

Personally I believe that having your dojo/ school/ club name ob your judogi is a good idea. I'd like to see more of this in the UK
    NittyRanks
    NittyRanks

Post by NittyRanks Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:19 am

We did this in TKD all the time. The Koreans started it here in the 1970's in our city.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:31 pm