E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

Is a French judo blackbelt grade also a jujutsu grade?

Stevens
    Stevens

Is a French judo blackbelt grade also a jujutsu grade? Empty Is a French judo blackbelt grade also a jujutsu grade?

Post by Stevens Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:44 pm

Is it true that a judo blackbelt promotion in France (IJF French Federation) is straight away a judo ànd jujutsu (dan)grade? Who can tell me?
    Emanuele2

Is a French judo blackbelt grade also a jujutsu grade? Empty Re: Is a French judo blackbelt grade also a jujutsu grade?

Post by Emanuele2 Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:24 am

Just to understand better. If I earn a black belt in judo in France, am I automatically a black belt in ju jitsu without training in it?

Last edited by Emanuele2 on Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:23 am; edited 2 times in total
    DougNZ

Is a French judo blackbelt grade also a jujutsu grade? Empty Re: Is a French judo blackbelt grade also a jujutsu grade?

Post by DougNZ Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:51 pm

Stevens wrote:Is it true that a judo blackbelt promotion in France (IJF French Federation) is straight away a judo ànd jujutsu (dan)grade? Who can tell me?

Man, I really hope not.

Our national jujutsu federation has recently received applications from a jujutsu club to have their black belts registered in the public register. The instructor is Dutch-born and most of the black belts have extensive judo histories and some karate, tkd and aikido grades. The problem is, if they had a 2nd dan in judo, he graded them to 3rd dan jujutsu. The applications were mostly declined because the federation is adamant that judo + aikido + karate does not equal jujutsu. Without extensive jujutsu training, grading from 2nd dan judo to 3rd dan jujutsu is as unreasonable as grading from 2nd dan jujutsu to 3rd dan judo.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:40 pm

The answer to the OP is "No".

The full name of the French Judo Federation is the FFJDA = Federation Francaise Judo, Jujitsu, Kendo et Disciplines Associaites - that is "French Federation for Judo, Jujitsu, Kendo and Associated Disciplines".

I know it still has a jujitsu division, but that jujitsu division has its own syllabus and makes its own jujitsu promotions.

http://www.ffjudo.com/ffj/La-federation/Les-disciplines-FFJDA

You can see some FFJDA jujitsu here:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xos8qd_les-20-techniques-imposees-de-ju-jitsu-dvd-ffjda_sport

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpmrew_20-techniques-imposees-ju-jitsu_sport

In reality of course traditional jujutsu does not have dan ranks - instead it has the licence or menkyo system

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:22 pm