E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

Early Kodokan dan grade promotion requirements

DougNZ

Early Kodokan dan grade promotion requirements Empty Early Kodokan dan grade promotion requirements

Post by DougNZ Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:28 pm

Does anyone have any references as to the requirements for dan grade promotion during the first 30 years of the Kodokan? I am interested in both yudansha and kodansha promotions.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Early Kodokan dan grade promotion requirements Empty Re: Early Kodokan dan grade promotion requirements

Post by Jonesy Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:36 am

I guess promotions were made when the Shihan thought people were ready.
    DougNZ

Early Kodokan dan grade promotion requirements Empty Re: Early Kodokan dan grade promotion requirements

Post by DougNZ Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:32 pm

Jonesy wrote:I guess promotions were made when the Shihan thought people were ready.

What about this: https://www.facebook.com/JudoTrainingDevelopment/posts/584632911547264  Is the mention of Article 10 of the Kodokan Council Regulations printed in Judo Nenkan, 1925 correct?  Are there any earlier similar regulations?

I have read about the kohaku shiai as a means of gaining promotion but what about promotion by other means?

What about promotion beyond godan in the early days?
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:30 pm

I haven't checked the promotion criteria but there are numerous similar entries of administrative bases for numerous committees, competitions, etc. in various Kodokan publications and annual reports.

The kohakujiai, literally red-white competition, is a Kodokan internal competition. I think it is the only one in the non-closed judo world in Japan where you can get promotion points. I can't set up a series of matches in my dojo and suggest promotion based on success there, but the Kodokan can and does.

Every other point event is an external competition; dojo against dojo, individual and team level at the Tokyo ward (city inside Tokyo), interwar (in my case, Minato, Shinagawa, Meguro and Ota ward judo associations), Tokyo city, or national. The Kodokan also host the external kodansha taikai (high ranking) in which any judoka of appropriate rank from around Japan can register and come to fight.

Closed organizations like the police have their own events, but current policemen can compete in local events and do.
    noboru
    noboru

Early Kodokan dan grade promotion requirements Empty training in some police/prison dojo in Japan

Post by noboru Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:13 pm

Hi NBK,
    have you got any experiences with training in some police/prison dojo in Japan? If yes, do you found any differencies with other non polices dojo?

Why do I ask you? I have one kendo friend and he has long years experiences with kendo trainings in police/prison dojos in Japan (around Tokio). He said, that their training is little bit different from other ZNKR dojo's.
    - harder (more tanren - own body and spirit polishing)
    - they use more specific techniques like/from kenjutsu - use more effective combat/techniques
    - spirit is more as bujutsu than budo (interested for own skill more - if you understand me, try to defeat opponent ever) ...

In judo could be similar situations as in kendo in these dojo ...

Thank you for any comment from whoever.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:25 pm

I have some experience with police judo. I've met police prison guard judoka.

It can be pretty rough. And the prison guards have a rough reputation.

Remember that they all have professional martial artists in their ranks, a good number at the schools and training centers, but also at the larger police stations.

And they all must gain at least 1dan to get promoted.

Just like any professional organizations' requirements, some are really into it, some do it because they must. I recall my father, a deputy sheriff. Loved to shoot pistol, so competed, loaded his own ammo, shot a lot professionally and in his private time. But several other deputies weren't interest only shot the minimum required, mere basic qualification.

Some police just do what's required to get promoted and stay current, others train outside the police, practice kata, compete locally and regionally.

noboru
    noboru

Early Kodokan dan grade promotion requirements Empty judo training in police/prison dojo

Post by noboru Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:15 pm

Thank you. Please can you tell about training in police/prison dojo?

What do they practice in traning lessons?
    Do they do any uchikomi?
    Do they practice any selfdefence/special techniques?
    It is only randori sessions?
    Any special rules in randori?

Any exceptions?
    Thank you.
    DougNZ

Post by DougNZ Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:25 pm

I see this thread has been pretty much hijacked. As there is no further information forthcoming, I am happy to wrap it up. Thank you, NBK, for your reply.

It is a shame that, while there is much information in English about Kano setting up his grading structure, there is little on the requirements for promotion.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02 am