E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

Ribs hurt like crazy.

sabalo22@gmail.com

Ribs hurt like crazy. Empty Ribs hurt like crazy.

Post by sabalo22@gmail.com Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:20 pm

Hello all,

New guy here.

I started judo again after a long hiatus I am 47 and after 3 weeks my ribs hurt like crazy.

I don't think they are broken but painful.

Is this normal?
    Am I tool old? and what can I do to speed up my recovery I missed two classes because I am afraid to hurt them more.

I love the sport, I trained when I was a kid for few years, as an adult I did not have the time or money to train until now when I am way too old.
    DougNZ

Ribs hurt like crazy. Empty Re: Ribs hurt like crazy.

Post by DougNZ Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:15 pm

What do you think caused your ribs to hurt? Was it falling?
    sabalo22@gmail.com

Post by sabalo22@gmail.com Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:15 am

DougNZ wrote:What do you think caused your ribs to hurt?  Was it falling?

It was during Ne Waza, just felt a pop did not bother me much then but it got worse after a few days, I am pretty good at Ukemi.
    DougNZ

Post by DougNZ Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:07 pm

sabalo22@gmail.com wrote:
    DougNZ wrote:What do you think caused your ribs to hurt?  Was it falling?

It was during Ne Waza, just felt a pop did not bother me much then but it got worse after a few days, I am pretty good at Ukemi.

Well then, sore ribs are not normal but then, neither should injuries be.

Sometimes, stuff just happens in judo. I do not think it is a sign; you were just unfortunate (or your partner too rough). You are not too old. Let your ribs heal and then get back on the mat. In the meantime, consider sitting in on lessons so that you keep learning. Give your sensei a frank analysis of the injury and your expected recovery time.
    sabalo22@gmail.com

Post by sabalo22@gmail.com Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:31 pm

Thank you for your response.

I am taking next week off and will see how it feels, I have been going to class just not participating.
    DougNZ

Post by DougNZ Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:13 pm

sabalo22@gmail.com wrote:Thank you for your response.

I am taking next week off and will see how it feels, I have been going to class just not participating.

Good choices; being there is still learning.

All the best for a speedy recovery. Keep up your magnesium intake!
    sabalo22@gmail.com

Post by sabalo22@gmail.com Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:27 am

Still tender but back in training almost at 90%.
    Third class this week and feeling better everyday, light newaza and randori, lots of stretching and making sure I let my partner know about my ribs ; )
    DougNZ

Post by DougNZ Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:49 pm

sabalo22@gmail.com wrote:Still tender but back in training almost at 90%.
    Third class this week and feeling better everyday, light newaza and randori, lots of stretching and making sure I let my partner know about my ribs ; )

Glad to hear all is going well.
    GregW

Post by GregW Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:36 pm

When I came back to judo at the age of 51, the wise "elders" of the old Judo Forum told me to take it easy, be careful, and watch out for injury. Two months in, I broke my tibia plateau, tore my ACL and spent six months in a leg immobilizer. After recovery and physical therapy, I finally got to get back on the mat. I've seen other guys with similar stories over the years.

It was a smart thing to take time off from practice, but still keep attending practice. You can learn a lot from watching, but most of all, attending keeps your heart and mind in judo. While I was recovering, I didn't miss a practice. I sat on the side of the mat and studied my vocabulary and technique names. My sensei sent me kids to quiz on terminology and kept me engaged with the other club members.

When I wasn't on the mat, I hobbled around the weight room on crutches and worked out everything I could except the bum leg. I wanted to keep my conditioning up, although it was tough to keep cardio strong. When I finally was cleared to come back by my doctor, the judo came back quickly.

That was several years ago. I eventually earned Nidan rank and I have my own club now. Whenever I get older students, I urge them to take it slow. I've been fortunate that we haven't had any serious injuries at practice. We've had more guys get injured playing soccer or baseball at school. When they had injuries, I encouraged them to keep coming to practice. That keeps them in the club and they usually come back to judo when they heal.

I'm 56 now and still doing judo. I just have to remember that I'm not 16 and I do fine. I get inspired by guys who are 70 and 80 who are still going.
    sabalo22@gmail.com

Post by sabalo22@gmail.com Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:12 am

Thank you so much for all the advice.

I know there will be bumps on the road, but I am not going to quit.

Really appreciate the support.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:33 am