E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+14
davidn
Gus
NBK
Anatol
noboru
Rensa
Y-Chromosome
cokiee
wdax
afja_lm139
finarashi
fredlinux
Jonesy
DougNZ
18 posters

Time to call it quits?

Jonesy
    Jonesy

Time to call it quits? Empty Time to call it quits?

Post by Jonesy Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:30 pm

This site is dying on its feet. The demise of a "Forum" type media is happening for many groups. The relaunched BJA Forum on which a significant sum of Association funds was spent/wasted is unused, and the BJC Forum recently was closed and exists only for accessing historical posts.

When the original Judo Forum was sold with disastrous results for the loyal user base the rot began to set in. Many people left frustrated and disappointed never to return.  Presently there are only 2 or 3 members online at any time or even during the day.

The passing of the great Shozo Awazu has attracted not a single comment and for me that is as good a barometer as anything and it time to call it quits.

There is a judo section on e-Budo for serious debate and I think the best focus for the small group interested in history, culture, tradition etc could be there.

Last edited by Jonesy on Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
    Y-Chromosome
    Y-Chromosome

Time to call it quits? Empty Re: Time to call it quits?

Post by Y-Chromosome Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:29 am

Maybe it's a shift in online culture overall, I'm not sure.  One of the things I've noticed is that the posts here often seem oddly self-contained.  Someone will post a link to an article or a video and leave it at that.  I'm frequently at a loss to add anything other than "nice video" which seems pointless.
    On the "old forum" there was usualy a question or a challenge or a criticism of some sort to spark a debate.  Even if it was just "what the heck would call this throw?" (accompanied by an image or video.)
    Maybe it's the Facebook generation being supplanted by the Instagram generation, I don't know, but there doesn't seem to be the same thirst for exchange.
    Perhaps, all OPs need better "click-bait" like "The Top Five Facts you DIDN'T know about Judo that will SHOCK you".
    DougNZ

Post by DougNZ Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:24 am

I remember times when there were just me and a couple of pupils on the mat. On Monday night, we could barely fit everyone on.

I didn't think 'quit' was in the Kodokan vocabulary.
    fredlinux
    fredlinux

Post by fredlinux Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:08 am

Huge selfishness blew out this community banghead
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:13 am

fredlinux wrote:
    And what would that be? Lots of folks on line gave their time and effort and knowledge without any return.
    Y-Chromosome
    Y-Chromosome

Post by Y-Chromosome Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:51 am

fredlinux wrote:

An interesting turn of phrase to be sure. I'm not sure what anybody's proper due is to an internet forum that they could be considered selfish for not contributing.

Does one HAVE to be here? Ought one contribute here? What if it's keeping me from my volunteer duties washing the feet of orphans and donating water-purification Equipment to aboriginal communities?
    fredlinux
    fredlinux

Post by fredlinux Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:05 am

Time to call it quits? Ego-as-baggage
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:57 pm

Since this and the previous forum launched, the impact of social media expanded. Now you can get video of near any competition near real time for free.

The history discussions on these fora have made a difference, I think. Certainly it seems that John Stephens' book on Kano and his students was as least provided information, if not provided exact phrasing. There have been a number of grad student and PhD theses fueled by these discussions, and many have important information regarding judo and its history.

The judo 'cardinals' were roundly, and often correctly, criticized but their strong positions spurred interest and traffic.

E-budo is run by some folks I know, but it ain't exactly overrun with posts, either.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:11 pm

Perhaps you could somehow link to Facebook for wider exposure.
    There are hundreds of 'judo' themed groups therein. Some have thousands of 'likes', although that doesn't translate to regular readers or contributors.
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:14 pm

NBK wrote:Perhaps you could somehow link to Facebook for wider exposure.  
    There are hundreds of 'judo' themed groups therein.   Some have thousands of 'likes', although that doesn't translate to regular readers or contributors.
    As I like to keep my e-mails as private as possible, I don't want to participate in facebook
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:24 am

finarashi wrote:
    NBK wrote:Perhaps you could somehow link to Facebook for wider exposure.  
    There are hundreds of 'judo' themed groups therein.   Some have thousands of 'likes', although that doesn't translate to regular readers or contributors.
    As I like to keep my e-mails as private as possible, I don't want to participate in facebook

It has closed groups. You can decide whether or not to allow forwarding posts, pics etc.
    upside- much easier links of videos pics etc.
    can make membership centrally or distributed control
    Millions of potential members
    Auto translation if desired

Downside -
    I think harder to categorize posts and search
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:22 am

NBK wrote:...I think harder to categorize posts and search
    I might be wrong but I have been told that Facebook grabs your e-mail account and starts rerouting all e-mails through its servers.
    afja_lm139
    afja_lm139

Post by afja_lm139 Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:44 am

I stopped this forum when a certain poster (name withheld) went away.  He was a lot of fun to read.

Last edited by afja_lm139 on Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:04 am

finarashi wrote:
    NBK wrote:...I think harder to categorize posts and search
    I might be wrong but I have been told that Facebook grabs your e-mail account and starts rerouting all e-mails through its servers.
    No.
    But if you're worried about such, it's always a simple practice to make up a sole use email account for Facebook and have that route any emails of interest to your regular account.
    cokiee

Post by cokiee Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:35 am

My sense is that there is a remnant 'fear' of posting here. We have a mix of members who are from the previous forum, which was characterised as being one that is more serious, and newer members who try to post a topic/question, and gets shot down, or nobody replies.
    wdax

Post by wdax Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:04 am

I agree - but some topics are also discussed to a dead end. Many aspects of judo, which were a little bit "surprising" some years ago are now generally better understood.
    cokiee

Post by cokiee Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:14 am

So this forum is a bit of a victim of it's own success. Many 'successful' forum out there are a hotbed of discussion; here we are very lucky to have people involved who actually know - definitively - what in another forum could be a point of rigorous discussion. That said, I always wondered why nobody challenged what those who are perceived to be in the know. For me, I tend to acknowledge that I don't know, and as such, try to consume and read as widely as possible, only commenting when it is a matter of opinion, and when I have one.

Either way, I do hope this forum continues. We sometimes have days where there are no posts, but I often find myself navigating back here and looking at old posts.
    Y-Chromosome
    Y-Chromosome

Post by Y-Chromosome Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:09 am

Well even at its most active, the old forum wasn't free from some toxic levels of ego.  I think that's just inherent to judo.  I often smile at the irony of people bragging about their own humility then lashing out with ad hominem attacks against anyone who didn't agree with them.
    I think a lot of the yudansha and especially some of the kodansha expected to be afforded the same deference on a faceless internet forum, as they would enjoy when teaching a class in person.
    They'd get offended when challenged, or questioned or contradicted.  It's natural though.  Judo is a hierarchical meritocracy that resembles elements from military, educational and even religious organizational structures.  It possesses what could be described as Canon, but that Canon is loosely defined at best.  This leads to a lot of friction whenever discussions about what is "correct" or "classical" or "traditional" is concerned.
    All that said, a lot of valuable information still got exchanged and the more astute the reader, the more they could benefit.
    You definitely needed your goggles and crash helmet though if you were going to tackle what has been aptly described as the forum "Cardinals".
    Rensa
    Rensa

Post by Rensa Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:51 am

Rensa wrote:On the other forum I used to post frequently but stopped long before it finally went down. I took a new nickname for here, meaning: the follow-up. I will wait and see what this forum will bring. The start is fresh, the same old members switched over, and posts are fine. But I don't know whether I will take up replying again. Somehow the fun of it was over...

That was more than 3 years ago. I still read here sometimes, but I think that the time that a forum was useful for judo and whatever interest, is over. Maybe one valuable topic a month is nothing compared to the old forum 8 years ago when I started posting there. I used to find great friends there, also for real life. Exchanges, people coming over from other countries, meeting people IRL, all after a forum contact. 2010/2011 it was suddenly over. Nowadays it's Facebook (Groups) or other social media.

Jonesy is right. Time to stop wasting energy on forums now.
    noboru
    noboru

Post by noboru Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:35 pm

This forum contains lot of informations about judo. If you try to seach anything about judo on google so in the some first page with results will be link to this forum. Lot of people can search more opinions from different peoples from different countries. For me is good compare my opinions with others and I have chance correct my postures... This forum has value (his content, and lot of themes here written). I think, that is not important if the forum death currently, it has own value - for reading and serching information only.
    Jonesy could have statistic informations about visitors... count is it the same as year before or decrease?
    Anatol

Post by Anatol Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:12 pm

Actually one Judo Forum is alive and very active:

https://www.reddit.com/r/judo/

I suppose because users are mostly Kyu Grades and dedicated Brown Belts and low Dan Grades.

Love (Judo) is an old story but always new and vivid for the beginners.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:33 am

One issue for me at least is that the controls of this forum suck.

I access it from multiple devices, iPhone, then computer. But once you get new posts, even if you don't read them, the new posts disappear the next time you access it and seek new posts. So, inadvertently I've missed many interesting threads.
    Gus

Post by Gus Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:07 pm

I think it should stay - if noone posts noone gets hurt - if its gone completely then theres nowhere to ask questions etc - it still has it uses and facebook isnt the same as you cant search for threads/topics easily and some care about anonymity.
    afja_lm139
    afja_lm139

Post by afja_lm139 Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:34 am

Someone read last rights on this forum. So long old forum.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:51 am

Is there anybody out there......?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 pm