E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

2 posters

Kano - Genyosha connection

johan smits

Kano - Genyosha connection Empty Kano - Genyosha connection

Post by johan smits Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Although my main interest is the history of jujutsu in The Netherlands with the Uchida shi shobu no kata a close second another subject has caught my attention.

I read somewhere that, although this is not generally known, Inoue Keitaro has been the third teacher of Jigoro Kano for Tenjin Shinyo-ryu.
    Somewhere else it is stated that this same Inoue Keitaro was a member of the Genyosha. An organization not unlike the Kokuryukai (Black Dragon Soceity).
    Both organizations not exactly something like the boy-scouts.
    Several famous (or less famous) judoka were starch right wingers seems to me. Uchida Ryohei being one of them.
    I wonder if the connection between judo or the Kodokan or Jigoro Kano and those interested in ' practical ' judo runs far deeper than is generally known.

Anyone with information on this?

Happy landings
    NBK
    NBK

Kano - Genyosha connection Empty Re: Kano - Genyosha connection

Post by NBK Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:38 am

The Gen'yôsha (玄洋社)was established in Fukuoka in the late 1800's through the merger of 2-3 earlier populist activist groups. Tôyama Mitsuru was one of the founders, Uchida Ryôhei's father Ryôgorô was an early member. The organization was largely bankrolled by Uchida's uncle, Hiraoka Kotarô, a rich mine owner who had established one of the precursor groups.

1893 Hiraoka and Uchida move to Tokyo, Uchida starts studying Russian and joins the Kodokan. I think Uchida's father stayed in Fukuoka. Hiraoka funds many ultranationalist causes and groups.

The Kokuryûkai was established by Uchida years later. Tôyama was never a member, it seems, but remained an advisor. He lived into the 1940's, outlived both Uchida and Kano shihan.
    johan smits

Post by johan smits Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:39 pm

thumbup1 Many thanks!!!

And happy landings.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:06 pm

NBK wrote:The Gen'yôsha (玄洋社)was established in Fukuoka in the late 1800's through the merger of 2-3 earlier populist activist groups. Tôyama Mitsuru was one of the founders, Uchida Ryôhei's father Ryôgorô was an early member. The organization was largely bankrolled by Uchida's uncle, Hiraoka Kotarô, a rich mine owner who had established one of the precursor groups.

1893 Hiraoka and Uchida move to Tokyo, Uchida starts studying Russian and joins the Kodokan. I think Uchida's father stayed in Fukuoka. Hiraoka funds many ultranationalist causes and groups.

The Kokuryûkai was established by Uchida years later.  Tôyama was never a member, it seems, but remained an advisor.  He lived into the 1940's, outlived both Uchida and Kano shihan.
    There are appear to be conflicts in the date when Uchida Ryohei moved to Tokyo. Best date is probably 1892 - probably late in the year. He is listed as joining the Kodokan in 1892.

The stories I've read are that by the time he joined the Kodokan, he was 19yo, almost 20, and advanced in jujutsu and randori, easily beating much more senior judoka, and promoted rapidly.
    johan smits

Post by johan smits Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:28 pm

I guess he had a lot of experience with sumo also.
    That in combination with koryu jujutsu could account for his fighting ability.
    Shindo Muso ryu; I saw some old footage - this seemed also very sharp and ' to the point' so to speak.
    The more I read about the ' judoka of yore' the more they seem to be either well versed in koryu jujutsu or street-fighting, or both.

Happy landings.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 pm