E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

Canadian BJJ Championships Cancelled over legalities

Y-Chromosome
    Y-Chromosome

Canadian BJJ Championships Cancelled over legalities Empty Canadian BJJ Championships Cancelled over legalities

Post by Y-Chromosome Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:44 am

See link for story.
    CBC Jiu Jitsu Story Link

This was all over the radio this morning.  They interviewed a couple of BJJers on CBC Radio 1, Montreal.
    I was laughing because I've never heard BJJers say "Judo" so much in relation to their sport. (Unless it's to say how much better it is than Judo.)

This morning it was "It's just like JUDO" "It's derived from JUDO" "You'd have a hard time telling it from JUDO" and so on.

For you non-montrealers, the Centre Pierre-Charbonneau where this was going to be held, is routinely host to Judo events.  I would not be surprised if someone within Judo Quebec had tipped the police off about the event and wrongly portrayed it as some sort of MMA event.  It would, of course deeply sadden me if that were the case.  Playing dirty tricks on other disciplines is no way to grow our own.

This whole area of "prize fighting" is a bit of a problem as the is poorly written.  In Ontario they had trouble getting UFC sanctioned over a similar issue.  The bureaucrat concerned was anti-MMA and wouldn't sanction the UFC on the grounds that it was a "Prize Fight" but if you looked et the legal definition of a Prize Fight, it's a fight that's not sanctioned.  It was like "I can't register you for this course because you're not registered for the course."  Presented a Catch-22 for the UFC although cooler heads eventually prevailed after much legal fees were incurred.
    Y-Chromosome
    Y-Chromosome

Canadian BJJ Championships Cancelled over legalities Empty Re: Canadian BJJ Championships Cancelled over legalities

Post by Y-Chromosome Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:48 am

Here is the actual Law regarding Prize Fights.
    http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-12.html#h-24

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:07 am