E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+5
Patrol1985
dborn
Cichorei Kano
Stacey
HumanRevolution
9 posters

Alternative to Toshiro Daigo's Kodokan throwing techniques?

HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Alternative to Toshiro Daigo's Kodokan throwing techniques? Empty Alternative to Toshiro Daigo's Kodokan throwing techniques?

Post by HumanRevolution Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:05 am

Is there a alternative book that is similar to Toshiro Daigo's Kodokan throwing techniques?

I've been looking for a while and from what I've gathered; it is not being printed any more and as well as that it is incredibly difficult to find a shop that has it in stock.

I asked Kodokan via email and they do not ship to the UK despite having "A few copies", Abebook, Shopzilla, KodokanGear, Oxford Uni press, Bookloons, Goodreads, Kalahari, WHsmith and Waterstones do not have an available copy....Amazon US I ordered a copy for about 58$ but they manually canceled the order due to no stock despite showing one in stock.

There are copies ranging from £230 to £250 on Amazon but that's a pathetic price for a book.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Alternative to Toshiro Daigo's Kodokan throwing techniques? Empty Re: Alternative to Toshiro Daigo's Kodokan throwing techniques?

Post by Stacey Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:22 am

you've hit every source i can think of. as for an alternative, I'll sit here with pencil out.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Alternative to Toshiro Daigo's Kodokan throwing techniques? Empty Re: Alternative to Toshiro Daigo's Kodokan throwing techniques?

Post by Cichorei Kano Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:11 am

HumanRevolution wrote:Is there a alternative book that is similar to Toshiro Daigo's Kodokan throwing techniques?

I've been looking for a while and from what I've gathered; it is not being printed any more and as well as that it is incredibly difficult to find a shop that has it in stock.

I asked Kodokan via email and they do not ship to the UK despite having "A few copies", Abebook, Shopzilla, KodokanGear, Oxford Uni press, Bookloons, Goodreads, Kalahari, WHsmith and Waterstones do not have an available copy....Amazon US I ordered a copy for about 58$ but they manually canceled the order due to no stock despite showing one in stock.

There are copies ranging from £230 to £250 on Amazon but that's a pathetic price for a book.

I used to see copies of this at Border's or Barnes & Noble; this is in the US. In the UK, have you been to places like Foyles or Waterstone or other large London bookstores ? I reckon Daigo's book is still too recent and actual to see pop up in many second hand stores. Alternatives are the Ippon series books, but the number of techniques they focus on is more limited. There are also some books in Japanese, such as one by Kotani, but it is even harder t oget. There will in future be others that cover the material Daigo does, but you will need more patience.
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:00 am

I Had a look in Foyles via their webpage, £170 (From the US) is the lowest listing. I've even been up to my local library, not that I expected a result there but I thought
    it may be worth a try. I live in Birmingham, so London is off the books, for now, so to speak.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:41 am

HumanRevolution wrote:I Had a look in Foyles via their webpage, £170 (From the US) is the lowest listing. I've even been up to my local library, not that I expected a result there but I thought
    it may be worth a try. I live in Birmingham, so London is off the books, for now, so to speak.

The German version is available from Dieter Born for around 50 euros per part, as it is split up just like the Japanese version: http://www.dieter-born.de/

Several copies are available from Allibris for just over 200 euros. There's reason people sell books on the secondhand market: they want or need money. About any book on judo is available; it's just a matter of how much work you are willing to do to get it and how much are you willing to put down for it.
    dborn

Alternative to Toshiro Daigo's Kodokan throwing techniques? Empty Daigo-sensei's books in foreign languages

Post by dborn Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:58 am

Hi,

since this is my very first post here at the new forum I first would like to say "hello" to everyone.

My name is Dieter Born - I am the one who has been translating and publishing Daigo-sensei's books on "Kodokan Judo - Nage-waza" from Japanese into German.

Maybe due to CK's kind link above I have got some inquiries from visitors of this forum, so I would like to put my answer here:

1) Unfortunately I don't have any English copies to sell either.
    (Have only some for personal use.)

2) Of course, I could sell German copies - with lots of them on stock.
    (Maybe of interest for all our Austrian, Swiss, Dutch and Scandinavian friends who are able to read German as well as English...?)

Here are the direct links to my internet shop:

Vol. 1 (Te-waza / Koshi-waza):
    http://www.dieter-born.de/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=21&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=16

Vol. 2 (Ashi-waza):
    http://www.dieter-born.de/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=83&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=16

They are also available at some of the major online book stores.
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:27 am

I emailed you about an English version yesterday, sad to see you've got no copies.

Any chance you could point me towards a place that offers shipping to UK and sells the book
    for a decent price?
    dborn

Post by dborn Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:45 am

HumanRevolution wrote:Any chance you could point me towards a place that offers shipping to UK and sells the book
    for a decent price?
    Unfortunately not - sorry! Crying or Very sad
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:08 am

Is there a chance you can translate the book for me?
    obviously I'll pay for it.
    Patrol1985
    Patrol1985

Post by Patrol1985 Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:41 am

Aren't there going to be any reprints of the book? I'm quite surprised it's been unavailable for such a long time considering its popularity.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:57 am

I will have a look next time I am in London (Friday). To be honest I hold out little hope there as there are hardly any judo books on the shelves. Judo is not popular enough to carry a lot of stock, and many UK judoka do not see the value in any sort of book study. What is your max price?
    cuivien
    cuivien

Post by cuivien Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:12 pm

I'm actually hoping more for a re-translation of the original than a reprint of the current "Throwing Techniques". I haven't read the Japanese version cover to cover, but I'm fairly certain there's multiple omissions, errors in translations, etc. in the English one. I posted some excerpts here in a different thread that had several people wondering what was up with that book Smile
    wdax

Post by wdax Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:40 pm

cuivien wrote:I'm actually hoping more for a re-translation of the original than a reprint of the current "Throwing Techniques". I haven't read the Japanese version cover to cover, but I'm fairly certain there's multiple omissions, errors in translations, etc. in the English one. I posted some excerpts here in a different thread that had several people wondering what was up with that book Smile
    Yes, there are! That´s why the german version is a) a full translation and b) done with a very special workflow.

The translator, Dieter Born, has over 45 years of judo-experience, including training at the Kodokan in his university years at Waseda. He first made very rough translation to german, not everytime really readable because all metaphors and the grammar still "japanese". This first translation was then checked by another judo-pracitioner with equal years of judo-background. The main points were: does it all make sense? Is there accidently left/right, front/back etc. mixed up by the translator or the original author (nothing is free of mistakes). Are the explanations misguiding for people used to a spezific usage of terms in german judo-circles? Are maybe problems or errors in the development of german judo-termonology of the past, which should be corrected? Are footnotes necessary to further explain some linguistic problems?
    cuivien
    cuivien

Post by cuivien Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:03 am

wdax wrote:
    cuivien wrote:I'm actually hoping more for a re-translation of the original than a reprint of the current "Throwing Techniques". I haven't read the Japanese version cover to cover, but I'm fairly certain there's multiple omissions, errors in translations, etc. in the English one. I posted some excerpts here in a different thread that had several people wondering what was up with that book Smile
    Yes, there are! That´s why the german version is a) a full translation and b) done with a very special workflow.

The translator, Dieter Born, has over 45 years of judo-experience, including training at the Kodokan in his university years at Waseda. He first made very rough translation to german, not everytime really readable because all metaphors and the grammar still "japanese". This first translation was then checked by another judo-pracitioner with equal years of judo-background. The main points were: does it all make sense? Is there accidently left/right, front/back etc. mixed up by the translator or the original author (nothing is free of mistakes). Are the explanations misguiding for people used to a spezific usage of terms in german judo-circles? Are maybe problems or errors in the development of german judo-termonology of the past, which should be corrected? Are footnotes necessary to further explain some linguistic problems?

To be honest, I think I read Japanese better than German these days (haven't had a proper conversation in the language in like 4-5 years), but both the "Wurftechniken", the study on benefits of learning ukemi, and the bujutsu dictionary will probably become part of my library as soon as I get a bit more money to not spend on boring adult things like paying my mortgage Very Happy
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:37 am

Some of the English-language newspapers that appear in Japan regularly contain a section towards the back with a translation exercise contest. It is intriguing to see the sometimes stunning differences between several versions/options even if the meaning conveyed by each remains identical. Properly translating Japanese into a different language can be challenging, but the same is probably true for any translation into the other direction

The English version contains some embarrassing errors, the most significant one, if I recall well, being a picture featuring inter alia the author, with the legend mentioning someone else (or something similar) ...

Regarding the German version I would echo all positive comments mentioned by Wolfgang. Dieter is dedicated to his work and meticulous in what he does.
    dlloyd

Post by dlloyd Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:36 am

Does it have to be a book? This series of videos that are on Youtube are excellent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARDeMEP_V1k&list=PL728E07D30F5CADE9
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:59 am

I've seen these videos, in fact I've got copies in a folder on my desktop. It's just not the same as reading a book for me.
    dlloyd

Post by dlloyd Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:30 am

There is a copy on ebay right now...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181482634501?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:22 pm

Amazon is taking orders for Kodokan Judo Throwing Techniques by Toshiro Daigo, again. http://www.amazon.com/Kodokan-Throwing-Techn…/…/ref=lh_ni_t…

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:29 am