E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

2 posters

Prof. Emeritus David Waterhouse, judoka and judo historian

icb
    icb

Prof. Emeritus David Waterhouse, judoka and judo historian Empty Prof. Emeritus David Waterhouse, judoka and judo historian

Post by icb Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:00 am

E-Judo members who have an interest in judo history may have known of David Waterhouse, Professor Emeritus of East Asian Studies at the University of Toronto.

David, a yondan in judo (Judo Canada and the Kodokan), passed away in November from cancer.

An obituary was recently published in a Canadian national newspaper:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/scholar-david-waterhouse-had-a-passion-for-japanese-culture/article37188177/

Even while battling cancer, Waterhouse Sensei tried to attend training at the Kawasaki Rendokan judo club as much as possible.  He will be missed.
    Y-Chromosome
    Y-Chromosome

Prof. Emeritus David Waterhouse, judoka and judo historian Empty Re: Prof. Emeritus David Waterhouse, judoka and judo historian

Post by Y-Chromosome Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:09 am

RIP Waterhouse Sensei.

Thank you for sharing.
    I believe I met him on an NCCP course many years ago. Had no idea of the full extent of his activities.
    Never ceases to amaze me how judo seems to attract the most interesting mix of scholarly and enquiring minds.
    icb
    icb

Prof. Emeritus David Waterhouse, judoka and judo historian Empty Re: Prof. Emeritus David Waterhouse, judoka and judo historian

Post by icb Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:28 am

Y-Chromosome wrote:RIP Waterhouse Sensei.

Thank you for sharing.
    I believe I met him on an NCCP course many years ago.  Had no idea of the full extent of his activities.
    Never ceases to amaze me how judo seems to attract the most interesting mix of scholarly and enquiring minds.

If you ever attended any major judo tournaments in Ontario, you may have also experienced Prof. Waterhouse leading the Canadian and American flags in with his bagpipes.

Yes, he was certainly someone with a great range of interests and a very enquiring mind.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:43 pm