E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+2
Y-Chromosome
treccetto
6 posters

best use of strenght

treccetto

best use of strenght  Empty best use of strenght

Post by treccetto Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:47 am

Hi guys! I've been praticizing striking martial arts for many years; last year my  6-years-old  kid started Judo and i joined him on the mat . I have been enjoying the experience immensely , and now i'm totally in love with judo.  Actually, even if i am a yellow belt, i spar with black belts   . So far i can fight evenly with all the non - master black belts using my personal strenght and conditioning.

Anyway when i fight with the real masters i find no use for my strenght and end up trashed, even on the ground.  
    So i ask you, which tecnique is more easy to perform for a beginner with  superior strenght?
    Thank you !
    Y-Chromosome
    Y-Chromosome

best use of strenght  Empty Re: best use of strenght

Post by Y-Chromosome Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:34 am

treccetto wrote:Hi guys! I've been praticizing striking martial arts for many years; last year my  6-years-old  kid started Judo and i joined him on the mat . I have been enjoying the experience immensely , and now i'm totally in love with judo.  Actually, even if i am a yellow belt, i spar with black belts   . So far i can fight evenly with all the non - master black belts using my personal strenght and conditioning.

Anyway when i fight with the real masters i find no use for my strenght and end up trashed, even on the ground.  
    So i ask you, which tecnique is more easy to perform for a beginner with  superior strenght?
    Thank you !

Not easy to answer this without seeing you randori with these "masters".
    As a relative beginner, you'll a have a short list of techniques that you know and they are all fairly "easy" that's why they're taught to beginners in the first place.

Your Black Belts will know all of these and also know the counters and blocks and evasions. There is no magic-bullet technique that will work all the time regardless of the skill of your opponent. There is a potential way to counter, or at least neutralise every single technique in judo as long as one recognizes the attack in time.

My suspicion is that your issue is not so much a poor choice of technique but more a case of execution. In short, you're predictable and inexpert in your attacks. You're being read and the counter is being put into motion before you even get started.

The less experienced you are, the easier this is to do. You only know a handful of techniques that they themselves have taught you. They can therefore easily read from your grip, your foot motion and your body movement exactly what you're going to do and react accordingly. Until you build up the speed and precision and learn to employ some misdirection needed to overcome the heightened senses of an expert practitioner you're going to have difficulty.
    sodo
    sodo

Post by sodo Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi,

Everything Y-Chromosome has said is correct, you are relying too much on your streangth and speed to compensate for skill, if you wish to progress you will have to learn to concentrate on technique and movement.

Alot of strong people (beginners) apply their strength all the time causing them to be stiiff and "telegraph" their movements and intentions, I know it is difficult to conciously give up what seems to be one of your few advantages in randori but your "advantage" is holding you back. one trick I use when I have a student that is much stronger than the rest of the class ist to deliberately tire him out at the beginning firts mith aerobic exercise then with pushups till he is arms ache and he can no longer apply his strength. I find that he will be more relaxed and more receptive to learning and applying technique correctly.

Atb

Sodo
    Jihef
    Jihef

Post by Jihef Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:32 pm

Hi,
    some good advice from a great judoka :

My advice : have fun and never miss practice.
    NittyRanks
    NittyRanks

Post by NittyRanks Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:12 am

I have a lot of instructors say that strength matters in newaza. I kind of agree.
    sodo
    sodo

Post by sodo Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:30 pm

NittyRanks wrote:I have a lot of instructors say that strength matters in newaza.  I kind of agree.

I would say that condition is more important than brute strength.
    Y-Chromosome
    Y-Chromosome

Post by Y-Chromosome Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:31 am

NittyRanks wrote:I have a lot of instructors say that strength matters in newaza.  I kind of agree.

Strength and to be frank size, matter all the time whether in ne waza or tachi waza.
    That said, superior technique can overcome superior strength... to a point... whether standing or on the ground.

It takes a pretty big strength advantage to overcome a superior technician. The bigger the skill gap, the bigger the strength advantage that will be required to overcome it.
    reborngoat

Post by reborngoat Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:25 am

I seem to recall a quote from one of the elder Gracies which said something to the effect of every 30lbs increase is roughly equivalent to a belt level in terms of how hard they are to grapple with. Obviously that was in a BJJ context, and not all weight is created equal (fat beginners don't do that well usually) but the similarities are sufficient that it seems like a decent ballpark.
    Y-Chromosome
    Y-Chromosome

Post by Y-Chromosome Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:37 am

reborngoat wrote:I seem to recall a quote from one of the elder Gracies which said something to the effect of every 30lbs increase is roughly equivalent to a belt level in terms of how hard they are to grapple with. Obviously that was in a BJJ context, and not all weight is created equal (fat beginners don't do that well usually) but the similarities are sufficient that it seems like a decent ballpark.

Not exactly scientific, but a good way to put things into perspective.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:05 am