E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

Judo nerves!

Tekken_Player

Judo nerves!  Empty Judo nerves!

Post by Tekken_Player Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:34 am

Hi all,

New to the forum and was just looking for some thoughts/reassurance about joining judo!

I’ve decided to join my local judo club but I am literally scared stiff of learning the rolls and ukemi, which is obviously the most important part of judo.

I think this is because of my physical size, I’m 5’8 and 18 stone, 36 years of age and I’ve never trained martial arts before, just powerlifting. I have a gut and short legs and I’m not too flexible, and looking at people doing these front and back rolls on YouTube is literally like rocket science. Like how the hell am I gonna do that! Needless to say I have pondered whether to forget going but another side of me wants to go and learn these rolls and achieve something! People have said going judo is a fantastic workout and will aid in weight loss, I just don’t want to embarrass myself and be “untrainable” for the coaches, like will I get the hang of these rolls or what?! On the other hand I’ve also been told by a few people that my height/build could be an asset to judo, despite me not having any interest in competing at all.

So should I go along to class, or try and diet down a bit before going, or try rolling around the grass lawn beforehand? Lol
    finarashi
    finarashi

Judo nerves!  Empty Re: Judo nerves!

Post by finarashi Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:47 am

IMHo rolling is one of the most natural arts. You'll have no problem.

Typically thin people that have long arms and legs have problems.

You sound more like a natural ball, if you excuse my exaggeration.
    Tekken_Player

Post by Tekken_Player Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:50 am

Lmao!

So you think the Sensei or coaches will be able to properly show me the technique, not to sweat learning  it before joining?
    Jihef
    Jihef

Post by Jihef Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:48 pm

Tekken_Player wrote: So should I go along to class, or try and diet down a bit before going, or try rolling around the grass lawn beforehand? Lol
    Taking care of yourself, f.e. eating properly, is ALWAYS a good idea.
    Especially before working out. Very Happy
    Simple example : the day of training, I always eat a light meal of pasta (or rice) with water (no alcohol of any kind).

Try rolling around the grass, that is a good idea. When you can accomplish them with ease, you can start rolling in reverse, toward your back, then simple side rolls, etc.
    Don't do too many at first, you could feel dizzy quite fast.

The idea is to HAVE FUN while rolling around, it has to become second nature, as in small children if you will.

Enjoy,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:56 pm