E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+13
quicktap
Hanon
jkw
faxed
Jonesy
Taiobroshi
Spaceghost
Blacksmith
Cichorei Kano
Judo Dad
afulldeck
ThePieman
HumanRevolution
17 posters

University of Judo.....

HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

University of Judo..... Empty University of Judo.....

Post by HumanRevolution Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:53 am

I was wondering what people thought of this:

http://www.universityofjudo.com/?wlfrom=%2Fsph%2F

Interesting idea or teaching to a wider audience but the pricing seems "a tad" too high.

Thoughts?

Note: It's run by Matt D'aquino.

University of Judo..... Empty Re: University of Judo.....

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:05 am

HumanRevolution wrote:I was wondering what people thought of this:

Interesting idea or teaching to a wider audience but the pricing seems "a tad" too high.

Thoughts?

I like the dedication and contributions Matt has done for Judo. I am very appreciative of all he has done and continues to do. Having said that the pricing structure for University of Judo is a little too high for me. Please note in case Matt sees this: I'm not saying the price is too high. I'm just saying it's a bit too high for me.
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:35 am

Dave R. wrote:
    HumanRevolution wrote:I was wondering what people thought of this:

Thoughts?

I like the dedication and contributions Matt has done for Judo. I am very appreciative of all he has done and continues to do. Having said that the pricing structure for University of Judo is a little too high for me. Please note in case Matt sees this: I'm not saying the price is too high. I'm just saying it's a bit too high for me.

You can't argue with the content, for the most part. From what I've seen on youtube his teaching is impressive.

ThePieman
    ThePieman

Post by ThePieman Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:12 am

I believe Matt in now a member here, maybe he would like to comment? Smile
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:25 am

I'd love to hear from him.
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:09 pm

I love his take on many things, but I just cannot justify spending 50 a month...
    Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Post by Judo Dad Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:29 pm

What constitutes a universities in the USA? Surprised
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:10 pm

Judo Dad wrote:What constitutes a universities in the USA? Surprised
    A large government funded establishment of "higher education" professing in many different subjects often multi-sport.

He sounded like an Aussie to me, is he operating in Australia or the US?
    I suppose it's an online education thing, I've never really learn't much from watching videos, I prefer being there doing it I find it easier to learn that way but that's just me.

Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Post by Judo Dad Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:25 pm

They want payment in US $, so probably based in USA

Are they using the term University in a humorous way or are they seriously purporting to be running a University?

Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:30 pm

Judo Dad wrote:They want payment in US $, so probably based in USA

Are they using the term University in a humorous way or are they seriously purporting to be running a University?

They probably intended to suggest that what they offer is ... "of advanced level and of high quality" without either intending or realizing the differences in perception that terminology might cause.
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:31 pm

Judo Dad wrote:They want payment in US $, so probably based in USA

It's a universal currency. I doubt he's trying to start a University physically. Online education is becoming more popular, the downside is it is less recognized.
    Blacksmith
    Blacksmith

Post by Blacksmith Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:01 am

HumanRevolution wrote:
    Judo Dad wrote:What constitutes a universities in the USA? Surprised
    A large government funded establishment of "higher education" professing in many different subjects often multi-sport.

He sounded like an Aussie to me, is he operating in Australia or the US?
    I suppose it's an online education thing, I've never really learn't much from watching videos, I prefer being there doing it I find it easier to learn that way but that's just me.

Could just as easily be privately funded or run and operated by a religious organization. I think in this context that he simply used the term "university" in a marketing sense, rather than to refer to an accredited learning institution.

Is it really all that expensive? Depends on what its worth to you. For the longest time, I was a supporting member of the other forum. Not at this level, but to me it was worth every hard earned penny.
    Spaceghost

Post by Spaceghost Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:53 am

It's not a real university, it is just a collection of his vids showing techniques and also there is a forum and you can post vids of yourself and he will analyse them for you.

Personally I am getting annoyed by the continuous spam he is sending out about it.
    Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Post by Judo Dad Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:04 am

My last post dissapeared and the previous one had font troubles, sorry, I don't know what happened.

In Australia the title University is protected by legislation and getting acrredited is an arduous task. However we have many Registered Training Organisations (RTO) that go by the titles such as Institute or College.

Two other Universities:

http://davefranklinmartialarts.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=192

https://www.gracieuniversity.com/default.aspx

Last edited by Judo Dad on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additional Info added)
    Taiobroshi
    Taiobroshi

Post by Taiobroshi Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:18 pm

I think the problem with this is that there is too much content for how limited the temporal access is. The content is worth a price, but the threat of losing access every month is incompatible with growth of a judo player. It's not as though you can watch a video and learn everything- it takes serious repetition in order to use a technique (even if you were taught it in person). Yes, his opinions and techniques are qualified by merit of being an Olympian, but I think instead of making a gigantic leap into this online university business, he should have invested more time/money into developing Beyond Grappling. You can't even comment on his articles through Facebook, which is such a great opportunity for GENUINE sharing of ideas and materials.

He also needs some serious consulting on how to best reach an audience without flooding the market with his material. Putting links to his stuff on a forum where we all know who he is doesn't improve his hits significantly and actually annoys some people. People online are constantly bombarded with BS and they prefer to opt into reading/watching things. You can only create exclusive content if you hoards of people that already consume your product. One of Marcelo Garcia's videos on Youtube has more hits than all of Matt's videos combined, which is why he is able to run an online BJJ school. This isn't to discredit Matt's abilities as a judoka. It's just that, unfortunately, he's running his brand like an orange belt!

Just some thoughts.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:06 am

Not quite as bad as Dr Ferguson, bits lets step back. This is a 27 year old one time Australian Olympian in the extra-lightweight -60 kg division, who lost his one and only fight in 20s being thrown for ippon.

He has no World or Olympic medals to his name and I do not know what coach education or sports science qualifications he has either.

What is applicable at -60kg does not scale that well across the weight divisions and I am not convinced by the "never been seen before" competiton techniques.

I would put the email in the Trash folder and spend they money elsewhere.
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:41 am

Jonesy wrote:Not quite as bad as Dr Ferguson, bits lets step back. This is a 27 year old one time Australian Olympian in the extra-lightweight -60 kg division, who lost his one and only fight in 20s being thrown for ippon.

He has no World or Olympic medals to his name and I do not know what coach education or sports science qualifications he has either.

What is applicable at -60kg does not scale that well across the weight divisions and I am not convinced by the "never been seen before" competiton techniques.

I would put the email in the Trash folder and spend they money elsewhere.
    A Somewhat harsh assessment, I fully agree though.

From what I've seen on his videos his instruction is quite good, I got the same email as you and thought the same. I looked into it rather than trashing it,
    I would not mind if the fee was a one time thing. I've brought Dvd's from Fighting-films and a few books from eBay and Amazon that have increased my knowledge, he's
    placing a lot of value on his works which consists of Dvd's, videos and online "conferencing".

Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:46 am

It's not really trashing - I have just have little confidence in this offering. Mind you it has a very positive review here: http://theselfdefenceexpert.com/review-of-matt-d-aquinos-university-of-judo-the-membership-site/
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:08 am

Jonesy wrote:It's not really trashing - I have just have little confidence in this offering. Mind you it has a very positive review here: http://theselfdefenceexpert.com/review-of-matt-d-aquinos-university-of-judo-the-membership-site/
    When I said trashing I was referring to the email rather than your post, I'm of the same opinion as you. Personally
    I've learn't more in the Dojo for an hour than I have watching videos, although I find books more interesting.

faxed

Post by faxed Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:22 am

jonesey:

you are being too harsh on matt d'aquino.
    i have seen his videos, and have found them to be very clear and helpful.
    channelling joshua resnick here, but matt d'aquino participated in the olympics.
    faxed

Post by faxed Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:25 am

as for -60kg. my sensei competed at -60kg in his prime, and i am 90 kg and i have learned a great deal from my sensei.

also if you look at the brazilian national coach, he sure looks lighter that r. silva.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:04 am

It's humorous to me to see a few of you get hung up on the term "University". I'm not laughing at you. I'm just slightly amused. When I saw "University of Judo" in my mind I did not interpret that as a University where once can earn a degree. I have not been inundated with advertising email from Matt's efforts apart from the occasional Facebook post which I don't mind. Someone mentioned Dr. Ferguson in an earlier post. I used be annoyed at the guerrilla marketing tactics but I think both Matt and Dr. Ferguson provide a service that some people really benefit from. They are spending a lot of time and effort. Far more time, effort, and money in the Judo community than I am willing or able to do. For that I salute their efforts and wish them well.

Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:32 am

faxed wrote:jonesey:

you are being too harsh on matt d'aquino.
    i have seen his videos, and have found them to be very clear and helpful.
    channelling joshua resnick here, but matt d'aquino participated in the olympics.
    He did indeed and got thrown for ippon in 20s in his one and only fight. However, it is a wonderful achievement to be an Olympian and congratulations to him though - he achieved what most of us can only dream of.

I am pleased you found his videos useful, however were I in the market for such a product then i would think that something by an Adams, a Yeon, a Koga or a Inoue might be money better spent. Still that's me.
    Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Post by Judo Dad Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:54 pm

I watched an Adams YouTube and picked up a handy ne-waza technique which I put into use at the club the same day, I was like a kid with a new toy bounce. I think Adams is an excellent communicator, not all champions are.

I also have the Koga A New Wind DVD and found that very useful to. So thanks Jonesy now I will be looking out for stuff byYeon and Inoue.
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:18 pm

Judo Dad wrote:I watched an Adams YouTube and picked up a handy ne-waza technique which I put into use at the club the same day, I was like a kid with a new toy bounce. I think Adams is an excellent communicator, not all champions are.

I also have the Koga A New Wind DVD and found that very useful to. So thanks Jonesy now I will be looking out for stuff byYeon and Inoue.
    Inoue's stuff is very good, I got it free through my club as they tend to lend Dvd's from person to person... I have ripping software so I can
    transfer and convert files on to dvds and make myself a copy, I found the 1st dvd, entitled Judoka, to be the most helpful as I'm not really
    ready to learn advanced techniques yet... I keep "calving" people in the nuts when I attempt Uchi-mata Shocked (Pardon the language).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:24 am