E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+9
Old Chestnut
Heisenberg
Andre_Mikalov
Hanon
BillC
ThePieman
heikojr
Carlo
Judo Dad
13 posters

Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Reputation Empty Reputation

Post by Judo Dad Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:35 am

How is the Forum Reputation score calculated? My reputation is 0!!! affraid
    Carlo
    Carlo

Reputation Empty Re: Reputation

Post by Carlo Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:35 am

The reputation system works like this,

-1 for a negative vote
    +1 for a positive vote
    +3 for a thanks

heikojr
    heikojr

Post by heikojr Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:15 pm

CelestialTeapot wrote:How is the Forum Reputation score calculated? My reputation is 0!!! affraid

No prob, man! I gave ya a +!

heikojr
    ThePieman
    ThePieman

Post by ThePieman Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:24 pm

The rep is a bit of a pain on this forum, posting a + takes you to a different page, you then have to cycle back again.

Maybe this is a blessing?
    Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Reputation Empty Return to forum

Post by Judo Dad Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:20 pm

When you cast a vote, confirmation of the vote comes up and you now get a choice of going back to the topic or main forum. This seems OK.

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:19 am

The little +/- on the right of the post - I was thinking of making the default setting for everyone except me as -40 but that would been an abuse of power hehe.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:59 am

An anonymous friend notified me yesterday that I had received "the very first negative rep on the new forum."

I am truly humbled by this honor, and will do my best to live up to the lofty standards of someone so decorated.
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:09 am

Dew wrote:The little +/- on the right of the post - I was thinking of making the default setting for everyone except me as -40 but that would been an abuse of power hehe.

Hi Dew,

Have you thought of how these star things get taken way out of context? Does this new forum want to see a repeat of the JF where some posters where seen as devils and some saints when neither was the case? It is a stone around a posters neck to have either a number of negatives or positive reps. Harmless fun can soon grow into something rather 'difficult'.
    A post should and can speak for itself. Just a thought and thanks again for taking the initiative for opening this site. Such a shame the other was sold then left to decay as it is.

Another point to ponder Dew is if this site takes off and does replace the JF forum this may well see the closure of the JF forum. To that end can this forum cope with the traffic and pots that the JF did? I know minus zero about such things but its always better to think ahead and be prepared. The success of this forum could be the final nail in the coffin for the JF, can this forum then cope with the demand? One could be looking at the loss of both forums and their content.

How are things with you. Would be great to have an email from you with all your news.

Very best wishes,

Mike
    Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Reputation Empty More than just a cheap copy of a failed, sold out site

Post by Judo Dad Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:45 am

Why has Reputation been changed to sort of Stars? Surprised

This site can be more than a cheap copy of a failed, sold out site Rolling Eyes

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:12 am

Hi Hanon,
    I know what you mean - after all if you dont agree you can always write a message - I just saw it as a bit of a joke but yes perhaps its better without. Ill deactivate it for now then and if anyones bothered we can vote on it. Apparently the forum has unlimited bandwidth so....

Last edited by Dew on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:14 am

Judo Dad wrote:Why has Reputation been changed to sort of Stars? Surprised

This site can be more than a cheap copy of a failed, sold out site Rolling Eyes

It was my attempt at humour - never mind Wink
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:24 am

Dew wrote:I know what you mean - after all if you dont agree you can always write a message - I just saw it as a bit of a joke but yes perhaps its better without. Ill deactivate it for now then and if anyones bothered we can vote on it.

Dew, I posted here because I trust in your judgement. IF you try to please all members by having votes YOU will end up the bad or good guy. confused
    This is your house and we all need to behave as guests while in it. With respect please use your judgement, its sound. If you want the stars keep em if you don't want to go that way, ditch em either way it should be your rules. I will respect either decision.

You have taken on board a lot of work and it is going to take a awful lot of your time not to mention test your patience. Start as you mean to go on. You will never please nor upset everyone. 50-50 is the best you may hope for.

Please don't sell it without first giving your guests the chance to debate things with you. Evil or Very Mad Any forum can only be as successful as the collective membership make it.

Speak soon?

Mike

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:36 am

Hanon wrote:
    Dew wrote:I know what you mean - after all if you dont agree you can always write a message - I just saw it as a bit of a joke but yes perhaps its better without. Ill deactivate it for now then and if anyones bothered we can vote on it.

Dew, I posted here because I trust in your judgement. IF you try to please all members by having votes YOU will end up the bad or good guy. confused
    This is your house and we all need to behave as guests while in it. With respect please use your judgement, its sound. If you want the stars keep em if you don't want to go that way, ditch em either way it should be your rules. I will respect either decision.

You have taken on board a lot of work and it is going to take a awful lot of your time not to mention test your patience. Start as you mean to go on. You will never please nor upset everyone. 50-50 is the best you may hope for.

Please don't sell it without first giving your guests the chance to debate things with you. Evil or Very Mad Any forum can only be as successful as the collective membership make it.

Speak soon?

Mike

Ha - they'll be no selling dont worry about that. Anyway I kind of agree about the stars - but I dont think theres any harm in having a vote now and again - but there are somethings I would not want to see here and I would put my foot down no matter what anyone thinks (ie inapropriate content, nasty insulting behavior etc etc) In the meantime we have some excellent admins - Jonesy , Genetic, pieman, Neil and carlo who will help maintain order. I havent the time to run this on my own - in fact much at all - Ive just started a PHD - but I will keep a background role and keep my root admin privileges this time Wink

Last edited by Dew on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:45 am; edited 2 times in total
    heikojr
    heikojr

Post by heikojr Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:43 am

Dew wrote:Ill deactivate it for now

Aw, man! I just had a good rep!

heikojr
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:00 pm

heikojr wrote:
    Dew wrote:Ill deactivate it for now

Aw, man! I just had a good rep!

heikojr

Heikojr,

You are one of life's gentlemen. Your rep is never in question. Just post and be yourself.

Is your son still doing judo? My grandson gave up early this year.

Mike
    heikojr
    heikojr

Post by heikojr Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:28 pm

Hanon wrote:Heikojr,

You are one of life's gentlemen. Your rep is never in question. Just post and be yourself.

Is your son still doing judo? My grandson gave up early this year.

Mike

It has been so long since we have met up! I do hope all is well!

My son is still doing judo. And, if you can believe it, my son and my kata partner's son do Ju-no-kata! Not only do they both practice kata, but they both compete in shiai. Hopefully, they will grow up and be well rounded judoka! Well on their way, now!

I will have to tell you about my other kids and their judo sometime... especially since my oldest daughter and her husband just had a son this past August!

It's too bad that your grandson gave it up, but there's nothing wrong with giving up judo... as long as the child does something productive. And video games don't count!

I look forward to talking with you as you're rep is very high!

heikojr
    ThePieman
    ThePieman

Post by ThePieman Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:29 pm

I have always found the +/- a useful tool on forums and especially the likes of this one which will be pretty much self policed, I do not think they should be cumulative in the form of a reputation because that could be very misleading, but on a post to post basis I think they perform an important role of letting a poster know what the group are thinking, it is easy for a poster to get carried away and not have any real feeling for the mood of the forum, I think that a gentle reminder of the general consensus can be useful, and on the other hand a very small gesture of appreciation for either someone's point of view or maybe even the amount of thought or work put into a post.

To me it's just another tool to help us in an online world of words where judgement can be difficult at the best of times.

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:44 pm

ThePieman wrote:I have always found the +/- a useful tool on forums and especially the likes of this one which will be pretty much self policed, I do not think they should be cumulative in the form of a reputation because that could be very misleading, but on a post to post basis I think they perform an important role of letting a poster know what the group are thinking, it is easy for a poster to get carried away and not have any real feeling for the mood of the forum, I think that a gentle reminder of the general consensus can be useful, and on the other hand a very small gesture of appreciation for either someone's point of view or maybe even the amount of thought or work put into a post.

To me it's just another tool to help us in an online world of words where judgement can be difficult at the best of times.

Hi Pieman ,
    there seems to be mixed opinions on this - could you set up a poll in the open forum and we'll have a vote to decide ,
    cheers,
    Gus
    Andre_Mikalov

Post by Andre_Mikalov Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:35 am

I can not find the +/- thing. It gone or I blind?
    Heisenberg
    Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:55 pm

Andre_Mikalov wrote:I can not find the +/- thing. It gone or I blind?
    It is between the avatar and the post you are rating.

Reputation Captur10
    Old Chestnut

Post by Old Chestnut Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:50 am

If you access posts through the "View posts since last visit" link, the +/- does not appear. It only works if you go to the forum itself then click on the thread you want to view.
    JudoSensei
    JudoSensei

Post by JudoSensei Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:40 am

I don't know about that. I see the +/- even when I choose "view posts since last visit"
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:12 am

Mikalov, you might've just accidently checked the 'guest' post(s) in this forum above yours, or your own.lol. Neither of those will have them.

Not bad, tho. Took me near 100 posts.lol
    Old Chestnut

Post by Old Chestnut Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:50 am

JudoSensei wrote:I don't know about that. I see the +/- even when I choose "view posts since last visit"

It seems to have changed again, now I can see it even through that link. At the time of the last post the +/- didn't appear.
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:46 am

guys, the forum does funny things sometimes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:09 am