E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

forum rules

genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

forum rules Empty forum rules

Post by genetic judoka Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:05 am

in case you have not yet seen it, official forum rules have been posted. there's a link to it on the top bar in between the inbox and log out links. or you could see it right here

hopefully this clears up any confusion about what is and is not appropriate on this forum. we ask that members please make use of the report button if a post is questionable, as the admin team cannot otherwise guarantee that we will see every post to handle it ourselves.
    Blacksmith
    Blacksmith

forum rules Empty Forum rules

Post by Blacksmith Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:15 am

Look pretty simple and straight forward to me. Any easy way to make acceptance a requirement for new members at signup? sort of like a typical software users agreement?
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

forum rules Empty Re: forum rules

Post by genetic judoka Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:18 am

there is already something sort of like that in place. when you signed up you had to hit an "agree to terms" button. now those terms were more about protecting forumsmotion than they were about the rules specific to this forum, but I will look into getting our rules added to that. (and by that I mean I'll wait for carlo to do it)

edit: I didn't wait for carlo to do it, I did it myself. those of you where here before that was added are not excused from abiding by the posted rules.
    Blacksmith
    Blacksmith

Post by Blacksmith Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:23 am

I think I might have signed up on the first day, there were probably less than 5 users at the time. In any event, the rules if there were any at the time, were not forum specific.

In addition to user behavior, I think from a commerce standpoint that it is good that rules are clearly stated and acknowledged. There were some folks on the old forum (Vin immediately comes to mind) that in addition to selling stuff - were an asset to the forum community. If you bought from him, great - if not, he still helped. Folks that simply flood the place with links to crappy stuff, or just come to sell stuff really don't add to the experience.

genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:45 am

Blacksmith wrote:I think I might have signed up on the first day, there were probably less than 5 users at the time. In any event, the rules if there were any at the time, were not forum specific.

In addition to user behavior, I think from a commerce standpoint that it is good that rules are clearly stated and acknowledged. There were some folks on the old forum (Vin immediately comes to mind) that in addition to selling stuff - were an asset to the forum community. If you bought from him, great - if not, he still helped. Folks that simply flood the place with links to crappy stuff, or just come to sell stuff really don't add to the experience.

agreed. that's why we were careful in our wording. selling things pertinent to judo on the forum is allowed, and vin is a great example of someone advertising on the forum without crossing the line into spam.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:08 am

GJ ... some folks really like rules I guess. The word "rules" itself ... not a choice of words I would use. Then again, those who jumped in and became moderators enjoy the privilege and the headaches I suppose. But there is a problem with rules over individual discretion ... rules are never perfect and they bind both the emperor and the peasant ... Confucian relevance there I think.

But if there are to be rules, how about "... Create threads or make posts purely to target an emotional response from members of the community ..." I wonder if there is a better way to define that. After all, a thread about Miss Fukuda's passing my be targeted specifically to share grief or sadness "I really miss her" ... "she meant so much to judo" ... etc. Closer to home, some posts are nothing but an attempt to find sardonic humor in life or judo ... also arguably targeting an emotional response ... a joke fits your definition perfectly well.

I think you had in mind a specific emotion, something that is likely to escalate into a confrontation, is that about right?

Then again, maybe Mr. Spock is running this forum too? There are people who post on this forum who think that way, so it might make sense to explain exactly what kind of forum you have here.
    Gus

Post by Gus Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:46 am

Looks good and healthy genetic - I think youre doing a grand job here. One little thing :

Must not:
    Advertise other forums or irrelevant products/services without prior approval from the Admin team.

bearing that in mind perhaps JSensei could delete the posts in the other forum that link here - Im sure enough people know of this place now anyway.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:23 am