E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+4
ThePieman
Ricebale
Ben Reinhardt
genetic judoka
8 posters

do you listen to music before competing?

genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

do you listen to music before competing? Empty do you listen to music before competing?

Post by genetic judoka Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:25 am

do you listen to music before competing? if so, what's your favorite pre-match song to get you in the mood? I don't always do this, but sometimes it's nice if I'm not in the mood I'd like to be in.
    here's a few of my favorites:

if those don't get your heart pounding, nothing will.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

do you listen to music before competing? Empty Re: do you listen to music before competing?

Post by Ben Reinhardt Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:31 am

I never did, but I can see how it would be useful. Learning to control your adrenaline response is really important. Music could help to arouse or calm. I tended to need to be a bit calmer and not be overwhelmed by rather than stimulated.
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

do you listen to music before competing? Empty Re: do you listen to music before competing?

Post by Ricebale Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:50 am

I usually do but of a much different

[/right]
    ThePieman
    ThePieman

Post by ThePieman Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:46 pm

genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:31 am

Ben Reinhardt wrote:I never did, but I can see how it would be useful. Learning to control your adrenaline response is really important. Music could help to arouse or calm. I tended to need to be a bit calmer and not be overwhelmed by rather than stimulated.
    agree on all counts. being calm has never been an issue for me, but sometimes I need to get amped up. last year a day before a tournament 4 of my good friends were riding together and got in an accident in which three of them died. that was the first time I used music to get me in the mood. and I think it worked quite well, so I kept using it.
    Freelancer
    Freelancer

Post by Freelancer Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:52 am

I guess I should have listened to some music when I did my first competition, it could have made me more aggressive.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:05 pm

Ben Reinhardt wrote:I never did, but I can see how it would be useful. Learning to control your adrenaline response is really important. Music could help to arouse or calm. I tended to need to be a bit calmer and not be overwhelmed by rather than stimulated.

Watch this all the way through and you will truly understand the meaning of "mushin."

Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:00 pm

BillC wrote:

Watch this all the way through and you will truly understand the meaning of "mushin."

When I came too, the librarian was shaking me at 8 pm, telling me "it's time to go home". As I got up, she apparently was entranced. I left her standing there.

BTW, we are talking about Judo, not dog sled racing.

Ben
    ThePieman
    ThePieman

Post by ThePieman Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:51 am

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/06/sport/teddy-riner-judo-human-to-hero/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_latest+%28RSS%3A+Most+Recent%29
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:56 am

no, I don't listen to music. I'm usually watching the judo going on around me. I don't generally play an emotional game at shiai, so getting amped up or calmed down isn't an issue. Paying attention to other club members, trying to finish coaching in time to hit my own match? That can be a bit trying.

Love Dropkick Murphys, btw.
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:19 am

I'm all over the place with how I prep for my matches. early in the day you'll see me off in the corner with ear plugs in reading my favorite pre tournament book (the unfettered mind by takuan soho, in case you were wondering). then as I see the teenagers hit the mat I begin stretching and warming up. as soon as I find out what mat I'm on the music gets turned on. so far I've had good results with this system. I'll see how it plays out at a non-judo tournament this weekend.

and everyone loves DKM. except for my wife. she hates them for some reason. and no that does not stop me from jammin out to their music in the car when she's with me.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:36 am

genetic judoka wrote:

and everyone loves DKM. except for my wife. she hates them for some reason. and no that does not stop me from jammin out to their music in the car when she's with me.

What's she think of Flogging Molly?
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:00 am

she likes them. I like them too. seen them both live (actually the first time I ever heard anything from DKM it was live, warped tour '05.). DKM is just, in her words; "too choppy" for her.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:06 am

genetic judoka wrote:she likes them. I like them too. seen them both live (actually the first time I ever heard anything from DKM it was live, warped tour '05.). DKM is just, in her words; "too choppy" for her.

ugh! then again, she is a woman of questionable tastes - doesn't like DKM, married you....... her record isn't looking to good atm....... Twisted Evil
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:08 am

Stacey wrote:
    genetic judoka wrote:she likes them. I like them too. seen them both live (actually the first time I ever heard anything from DKM it was live, warped tour '05.). DKM is just, in her words; "too choppy" for her.

ugh! then again, she is a woman of questionable tastes - doesn't like DKM, married you....... her record isn't looking to good atm....... Twisted Evil

He's a trophy husband, obviously !
    heikojr
    heikojr

Post by heikojr Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:59 am

Ben Reinhardt wrote:
    Stacey wrote:

He's a trophy husband, obviously !

Is he a judo trophy husband? HA! He's over 6 feet tall! Sounds more like a TKD or karate trophy husband!

Actually, he has been practicing BJJ...

heikojr

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:27 pm