E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+7
still learning
Ouch_that_hurts
accident_prone
judoratt
Taiobroshi
OldeEnglishD
Blacksmith
11 posters

KuSakura Gi Question

Blacksmith
    Blacksmith

KuSakura Gi Question Empty KuSakura Gi Question

Post by Blacksmith Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:25 am

Over on the other forum, somebody had just asked a question about KuSakura gi, specifically the difference between the JOI/JOWI. Both are IJF approved but have different rip points. Is the JOI a noticeably thicker gi? For just a ton of reasons - I could not simply just ask the question there.

It is said you get what you pay for - but are they worth the spend? I recently dropped a size or so, and need to get a few gi, and I'd like to do it without mortgaging the house!

Thanks
    OldeEnglishD
    OldeEnglishD

KuSakura Gi Question Empty Re: KuSakura Gi Question

Post by OldeEnglishD Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:24 pm

I do not know about Kusakura gi unfortunately, but if you are looking for a great gi at a good price I would recommend Fushida. I have had their tournament gi for over a year now and couldn't be happier with it. They walk you through a thorough sizing to make sure you get as close to custom fit as possible. Cristo is the owner and handles most of the correspondance. The only bad thing is they are in Canada, so shipping to the states is a bit pricey.
    Taiobroshi
    Taiobroshi

Post by Taiobroshi Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:14 pm

I second the Fushida (I own two). Did somebody recommend KuSakura to you? It's always better to buy something you've felt before.
    Blacksmith
    Blacksmith

Post by Blacksmith Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks for the input. A couple of guys in the dojo wear Fushida gis. One is an Icon and I think one is the lighter Tournament. The Icon reminds me at some levels of my old Mizuno Ichiban, meaning it feels thicker than I want at this point. Both guys swear by their Fushidas, but both point out that they are of a lankier build than I am.

Some time ago, I ran into someone wearing a KuSakura. I grabbed the gi and it felt decent, but due to our size differences, I did not roll with him, so I don't have that perspective. I did not get a chance to ask which model it was.

I have had good luck with Mizuno over the years, and was simply going to get either a Shiai or Yusho. The issue there was that I have not heard anyone really love their Shiai, and the cash outlay for the Yusho puts it almost in the KaSukura range. The Mizuno is proven in my mind, so I guess the question is - 'Is the KuSakura worth the money?'

I need a gi that is competition legal, not necessarily IJF certified, that is comfortable and will hold up to a fair number of practices. Given wash/line dry turnaround time, I need at least 2, and more likely 3 gi. So cost does become a factor. We won't even get into the whole blue gi discussion! (Although I'll take credit for first mention of it on the new forum!)

Dropping a bunch of weight has its advantages - but shopping for new gi may not be one of them. Thanks again for your input!

OldeEnglishD
    OldeEnglishD

Post by OldeEnglishD Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:39 am

Blacksmith wrote:Thanks for the input. A couple of guys in the dojo wear Fushida gis. One is an Icon and I think one is the lighter Tournament. The Icon reminds me at some levels of my old Mizuno Ichiban, meaning it feels thicker than I want at this point. Both guys swear by their Fushidas, but both point out that they are of a lankier build than I am.

Some time ago, I ran into someone wearing a KuSakura. I grabbed the gi and it felt decent, but due to our size differences, I did not roll with him, so I don't have that perspective. I did not get a chance to ask which model it was.

I have had good luck with Mizuno over the years, and was simply going to get either a Shiai or Yusho. The issue there was that I have not heard anyone really love their Shiai, and the cash outlay for the Yusho puts it almost in the KaSukura range. The Mizuno is proven in my mind, so I guess the question is - 'Is the KuSakura worth the money?'

I need a gi that is competition legal, not necessarily IJF certified, that is comfortable and will hold up to a fair number of practices. Given wash/line dry turnaround time, I need at least 2, and more likely 3 gi. So cost does become a factor. We won't even get into the whole blue gi discussion! (Although I'll take credit for first mention of it on the new forum!)

Dropping a bunch of weight has its advantages - but shopping for new gi may not be one of them. Thanks again for your input!

I went with the tournament gi as it is more of a 1.5 weave. I have worn it 2x a week for over a year and it is still like new. I am sure Cristo could hook you up with the correct size for your build as well. Whatever you decide, let us know what you get and how you like it. I am always on the look-out for gi reviews. My wife is not thrilled with my love of gi as it can be a pricey habit. Very Happy
    judoratt
    judoratt

Post by judoratt Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:19 pm

Blacksmith wrote:Over on the other forum, somebody had just asked a question about KuSakura gi, specifically the difference between the JOI/JOWI. Both are IJF approved but have different rip points. Is the JOI a noticeably thicker gi? For just a ton of reasons - I could not simply just ask the question there.

It is said you get what you pay for - but are they worth the spend? I recently dropped a size or so, and need to get a few gi, and I'd like to do it without mortgaging the house!

Thanks

I have had three Kusakura gis.The first one was a custom fit gi by Mr Hayakawa 1987, the second was a JOW out of the bag in japan 1989. The last one was a JOW made for Mike Swain as a Swain gi. Mike sold Kusakura gis with his lable as Swain gis. All three were great gis and I wouldn't think twice spending an extra $100 for a Kusakura they are great gis. Just a interesting fact the red S on todays Kusakura gis was designed by Mike Swain for his Swain gi, Kusakura decided to use it after they stoped making Swain Gis and never gave Mike anything for it.ShockedShocked
    accident_prone
    accident_prone

Post by accident_prone Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:25 am

OldeEnglishD wrote:My wife is not thrilled with my love of gi as it can be a pricey habit. Very Happy

yours too? maybe mine isn't being totally unreasonable, then.

lately i have been able to buy a new one in japan during my annual visit to "help the japanese economy recover" but i'm not sure i'll be able to keep doing that (she may be japanese, but patriotism only goes so far.)

to the OP, i have two kusakura judogi and two mizuno eurocomps (made in china) and i think the kusakuras are much higher quality, although i do not have a made in japan mizuno to compare them to. i will say that the kusakuras are my favorite judogi, but i do want to get a mitsuboshi this year to see how i like those.
    Ouch_that_hurts
    Ouch_that_hurts

Post by Ouch_that_hurts Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:29 am

For those offering up the Fushida Icon... I am about 170 and 5'10", the sizing chart says a 4 because of height but the, question is, how much do the gis shrink up? I like a euro type fit and was nervous that the 4 would be boxy.... thoughts?
    OldeEnglishD
    OldeEnglishD

Post by OldeEnglishD Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:12 am

Ouch_that_hurts wrote:For those offering up the Fushida Icon... I am about 170 and 5'10", the sizing chart says a 4 because of height but the, question is, how much do the gis shrink up? I like a euro type fit and was nervous that the 4 would be boxy.... thoughts?

I am 5'7" and 165. I wear a 4 in Fushida. I would guess you need a slightly longer pant, but the jacket should fit fine. Cristo is the owner, and if you send him an e-mail on their site he answers quickly. He has a 4 page fitment guide that you fill out that helps them decide which size/gi will work for you. I hope this helps!
    Ouch_that_hurts
    Ouch_that_hurts

Post by Ouch_that_hurts Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:08 am

OldeEnglishD wrote:
    Ouch_that_hurts wrote:For those offering up the Fushida Icon... I am about 170 and 5'10", the sizing chart says a 4 because of height but the, question is, how much do the gis shrink up? I like a euro type fit and was nervous that the 4 would be boxy.... thoughts?

I am 5'7" and 165. I wear a 4 in Fushida. I would guess you need a slightly longer pant, but the jacket should fit fine. Cristo is the owner, and if you send him an e-mail on their site he answers quickly. He has a 4 page fitment guide that you fill out that helps them decide which size/gi will work for you. I hope this helps!

Great thanks! I actually like slight higher pants anyway... I hate my gi pants getting caught under my feet... so a 4 it is and a good ol hot wash and dry!
    Thanks! Cheers!
    judoratt
    judoratt

Post by judoratt Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:51 pm

[quote="Ouch_that_hurts"]
    OldeEnglishD wrote:

I am 5'7" and 165. I wear a 4 in Fushida. I would guess you need a slightly longer pant, but the jacket should fit fine. Cristo is the owner, and if you send him an e-mail on their site he answers quickly. He has a 4 page fitment guide that you fill out that helps them decide which size/gi will work for you. I hope this helps![/quoteGreat thanks! I actually like slight higher pants anyway... I hate my gi pants getting caught under my feet... so a 4 it is and a good ol hot wash and dry!
    Thanks! Cheers!

Thanks for changing your avatar that foot was ugly. Now if Dave changes his life will be better.

BTW anyone tierd of looking at Travis's eye poke?
    still learning

Post by still learning Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:06 am

[quote="judoratt"][quote="Ouch_that_hurts"][quote="OldeEnglishD"]
    Ouch_that_hurts wrote:F
    BTW anyone tierd of looking at Travis's eye poke?

I thought it was agreed to be an aggressive finger grab using the eye, and no.
    Neil G
    Neil G

Post by Neil G Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:50 am

Blacksmith wrote:The Mizuno is proven in my mind, so I guess the question is - 'Is the KuSakura worth the money?'
    It is worth the money in the sense that the quality is there, but as to whether you need to spend that much to get a functional judogi, the answer is no.

In addition to the quality, the nice thing about KuSakura is the extensive sizes available, so if you find regular sizes don't fit well you can look into them. Despite the high prices, Mizuno only come in standard sizes. Toraki are another option for near-custom fit but I find them too stiff for my taste.

So in short if you like nice stuff and you like your gear to fit well, KuSakura may be for you. But you can get two Mizuno shiai (or a half-dozen perfectly servicable single layers) for the price of one KuSakura JOA.
    Raj Venugopal

Post by Raj Venugopal Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:13 am

some guys in our club have Fushida and LOVE them.
    JudoMum
    JudoMum

Post by JudoMum Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:34 pm

does anyone know what the fading is like in the (whispers...) blue fushida judogi? I need to buy one for tournament use, and I've seen the toraki blue ones seem to fade quite quicky
    Raj Venugopal

Post by Raj Venugopal Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:56 pm

I'll ask one of the guys later this week (if I remember). He's had his for over a year now. My blue Jukado Shiai gi still holds a nice blue after 2 years. And I wash after every practice!
    yezz12
    yezz12

Post by yezz12 Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:57 am

Does anyone have experience with the JOSI model? It's made in China, so i have my doubts.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:12 am