E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+12
JudoStu
Dutch Budo
NittyRanks
GregW
charlietuna
Steve Leadbeater
rjohnston411
Hanon
genetic judoka
finarashi
DCS
micahpharris
16 posters

Is there such a thing as too tall for judo?

tafftaz

Is there such a thing as too tall for judo? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is there such a thing as too tall for judo?

Post by tafftaz Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:20 am

I would never frown on any practise like that. I too believe that whilst the basics have to be adhered too, certain waza will suit different people, and learning what suits you best should be encouraged.
    By the way, nice too see you posting again RITF.
    Rightintheface

Is there such a thing as too tall for judo? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is there such a thing as too tall for judo?

Post by Rightintheface Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:27 am

Nice to be back. Missed you all.
    Yabanjames
    Yabanjames

Post by Yabanjames Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:10 pm

GregW wrote:You can use your belt or rubber workout bands.  What I used to do was tie my belt to a pole and practice positioning for seioinage.  I'd start with the belt at shoulder height and then, after a few minutes of repetition, I'd lower it a few inches.  Each time I lowered it, I'd have to get a little lower to fit in.  Over time, I became more comfortable getting lower in the throwing position and when I'd do the throws in randori, they were more effective.
    This is great advice -- uchi komi is definitely a key to developing the ability to throw. And a small point about uchi komi: there is a widespread tendency to practise uchi komi quickly, since ultimately you need to be able to move quickly to throw. However, I'd strongly suggest resisting this temptation, and doing your uchi komi at a very controlled, rhythmic pace -- slow enough to allow you to develop the movement, balance, and range of motion necessary, particularly as a tall guy working on seioi nage and o goshi. As I've read somewhere over the years: "you don't get fast by going fast; you get fast by going slow, many, many times..." And you also get balanced, flexible, strong, and accurate through controlled uchi komi.

Go for it, and enjoy!
    GregW

Post by GregW Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:33 pm

Yabanjames wrote: However, I'd strongly suggest resisting this temptation, and doing your uchi komi at a very controlled, rhythmic pace -- slow enough to allow you to develop the movement, balance, and range of motion necessary, particularly as a tall guy working on seioi nage and o goshi.  As I've read somewhere over the years:  "you don't get fast by going fast; you get fast by going slow, many, many times..."  And you also get balanced, flexible, strong, and accurate through controlled uchi komi.

Go for it, and enjoy!
    Good advice there. I'm 54, so when I start doing uchikomi, I start slowly focusing on proper positioning, developing tactile memory, and perfecting the form. Once I feel that I'm consistently getting the positioning right, I speed up to a more "operational" tempo. It's not useful to practice improper form quickly.

Oh, revisiting this thread reminded me of something I saw related to the topic a while back. Every now and then, I go to the showroom of Century Martial Arts Supply and look through their clearance bin. I can often find gi pants or tops really cheap to get for my beginning students. One day a few months ago, there was a size 8 gi in there. When I held the pants up, with the cuffs touching the floor, the waistline on them was around my eye-level, or just a few inches shy of six feet. Honestly, if I had to fight someone who could fit into those pants, I'd say he was too tall for judo! He'd have to be around eight feet tall! Smile
    Judoturtle
    Judoturtle

Post by Judoturtle Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:05 pm

I am 6'6", I don't mind the odd left grip seoinage as well the more traditionally tall person throws...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:03 pm