E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

5 posters

Judo in Canada

forgeron judo
    forgeron judo

Judo in Canada Empty Judo in Canada

Post by forgeron judo Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:51 am

Several months ago, I produced a synopsis of the history of judo in Canada. Like most other countries, Canada has gained from the educational works of several eminent senseis. Some came from Japan, others from England and France. We now have over 15,000 registered members with Judo Canada and an administrative structure which is lean yet efficient. Judo is well established in the 10 Provinces and Territory. Much need to be done to keep up the growth and the enthusiasm since fundings is limited and the press coverage is scarce. Nevertheless, we follow the path towards improvements.
    Hope other members of this forum can enjoy this little exposé. Basketball
    Attachments
    Judo in Canada Attachmentjudo ron 9-50th Anniversary of Judo Canada _3]_doc.pdf
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (3 Mb) Downloaded 55 times
    judoratt
    judoratt

Judo in Canada Empty Re: Judo in Canada

Post by judoratt Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:09 pm

Graet read thank you very much.!!SmileSmile
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:49 am

Yes. I second that. It was excellent.
    Tsurumaki

Post by Tsurumaki Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:08 pm

One name I'm always looking out for in Canadian judo history is Alf Grabher. He learned his judo in England and Japan in the 1950s and then moved to Canada. At some point a few years later, I remember seeing a photo of him in judogi being presented with a large silver cup.

He got his 4th dan at the Kodokan, where he was a Kenshusei, alongside many of the other British competitive judoka of the time who trained under Leggett.

He was a ferocious competitor. After returning from Japan, a contest was scheduled between Alfie and Doug Young, another stalwart of British judo at the time. Young hadn't trained in Japan and was heard boasting that he could beat those who had trained there. According to Dennis Bloss (and Percy Sekine), this talk made Alfie so angry that on the day of the contest (which was held at the Albert Hall), he booked a room at a hotel and just lay on the bed all afternoon, working himself into a fury. Doug was much bigger, but was no match for Alfie. At the Hajime!, Alf rushed across the mat and grabbed Doug before he could take more than one step, and attacked furiously with tai-otoshi, throwing him off the mat. Doug came back on the mat, quaking, and Alf grabbed him and threw him for ippon.

Any news about Alfie in Canada would be welcome.

Robert Thomas

Judo in Canada Empty alfie grahber

Post by Robert Thomas Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:55 pm

Yes, I remember Tam McDermott talking about Alfie when they trained at the Budokwai..Tam respected him greatly.Tam was in Canada for a while too.
    My God/this was about fifty years ago and we are still here to talk of these stalwarts/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 pm