E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+6
Cichorei Kano
BillC
Stacey
JakubMB
finarashi
Quicksilver
10 posters

Any cat people here? (My kitten has a very bad habit...)

Quicksilver
    Quicksilver

Any cat people here? (My kitten has a very bad habit...) Empty Any cat people here? (My kitten has a very bad habit...)

Post by Quicksilver Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:26 pm

Greetings all,

Earlier this year I became the very proud owner of a beautiful Russian blue kitten. I'd kept a wide variety of animals for my entire life but had never owned a cat before. She's now just over four months old and very much a part of the family. However she has a rather bad habit and I'm hoping that someone who has or has had cats might be able to advise me on what to do?

Pretty much from the beginning, she has had a tendency to pee where she really shouldn't. Most notably on beds. Other than this, she generally has no problem using her litter box. This problem is mostly controlled by simply keeping doors to bedrooms closed, but that isn't really a solution as such particularly since, true to her species, if she wants to get somewhere she is rather good at finding ways to do it.

I've heard a number of theories as to why she does this but little in the way of helpful advice, other than that getting her spayed might help- which I already intend to have done anyway, probably at her next vaccination. Has anyone else had this problem with a kitten? Any suggestions?

Thank you, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

-Q
    finarashi
    finarashi

Any cat people here? (My kitten has a very bad habit...) Empty Re: Any cat people here? (My kitten has a very bad habit...)

Post by finarashi Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:35 pm

Greetings, I have been living with an owner of Russian blues (my wife) for more than 15 years. Currently have one neuterd female Blue Billie Holiday and two young females. The only time we have had problems has been when one of them turned very old.
    I'll ask around.
    JakubMB

Any cat people here? (My kitten has a very bad habit...) Empty Re: Any cat people here? (My kitten has a very bad habit...)

Post by JakubMB Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:11 am

Gee, we had the same problem with our cat. She used to pee alover the place... Until we sterilized her. She suddenly stopped. I heard spraying catnip on your bed could help, as the cat wouldn't like to spoil it with the smell of its own pee. It didn't help us though so I have no proof if that's a good idea.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:28 am

fin- absolutely beautiful cat!

Quick - assuming the peeing is actually marking, then spaying her will really help. The other thing to do is to sprinkle vinegar on the places where she actually pees - the smell is offensive and keeps her away and from spraying. It's not the best thing in the world, but it does work. Hitting her with water when she assumes the position will eventually stop the behavior from happening right in front of you (I know people who have squirt guns hidden about the house for that purpose). Though, generally, the quicker you can get her spayed, the quicker you'll get past it. You really don't want to wait any longer than necessary or the desire to spray may become habit and spaying won't fix it.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:22 am

If you only had two of them ...

... you'd have enough for a beautiful pair of slippers to which I would still be dangerously allergic.

Any cat people here? (My kitten has a very bad habit...) Spaceout
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:54 am

BillC wrote:

... you'd have enough for a beautiful pair of slippers to which I would still be dangerously allergic.

Any cat people here? (My kitten has a very bad habit...) Spaceout

I'm just glad you didn't mention duct tape. It is the go to solution for most men
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:42 am

Stacey wrote:I'm just glad you didn't mention duct tape. It is the go to solution for most men

No, that would be cruel.
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:09 pm

BillC wrote:
    Stacey wrote:I'm just glad you didn't mention duct tape. It is the go to solution for most men

No, that would be cruel.
    How would duct taping your feet in absence of slippers be cruel?
    Quicksilver
    Quicksilver

Post by Quicksilver Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:09 pm

Finarashi- thank you; and, your cat is very beautiful.

Stacey- What you say makes sense. I have yet to set a date but she will be spayed sometime within the next few weeks, so I shall see how that goes.

Thank you very much guys. Smile

Regards,

-Q
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:04 am

Quicksilver wrote:
    Finarashi- thank you; and, your cat is very beautiful.

Stacey- What you say makes sense. I have yet to set a date but she will be spayed sometime within the next few weeks, so I shall see how that goes.

Thank you very much guys. Smile

Regards,

-Q

They are incredibly cute little ones, wwhich probably help prevent too much bloodshed when they develop these types of habits. Congrats on your kitteh. Sam the Cat wishes your little one long life, plenty of sun, a good dose of catnip now and again, and plenty of Cat TV (our bird feeder, easily viewable from Sam's favorite daytime sleeping spot).
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:22 am

Very nice pictures. Be good to them ! I praise you are lucky people. The third anniversary of my late cat is soon coming up ...

Memories, sad memories ...
    Quicksilver
    Quicksilver

Post by Quicksilver Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:07 am

Stacey wrote:
    They are incredibly cute little ones, wwhich probably help prevent too much bloodshed when they develop these types of habits. Congrats on your kitteh. Sam the Cat wishes your little one long life, plenty of sun, a good dose of catnip now and again, and plenty of Cat TV (our bird feeder, easily viewable from Sam's favorite daytime sleeping spot).

This is Kira, looking very unusually solemn

Any cat people here? (My kitten has a very bad habit...) Kira111
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:21 am

Any cat people here? (My kitten has a very bad habit...) BHHE8s1CcAA8hCm

Meow.
    Quicksilver
    Quicksilver

Post by Quicksilver Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:08 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:Any cat people here? (My kitten has a very bad habit...) BHHE8s1CcAA8hCm

Meow.

Why do I get the feeling that the circumstances surrounding that photograph are not going to end well...
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:11 pm

Quicksilver wrote:

This is Kira, looking very unusually solemn

Very good green color in the eyes. Very nice fur too!

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:47 am

Quicksilver wrote:Greetings all,

Earlier this year I became the very proud owner of a beautiful Russian blue kitten. I'd kept a wide variety of animals for my entire life but had never owned a cat before. She's now just over four months old and very much a part of the family. However she has a rather bad habit and I'm hoping that someone who has or has had cats might be able to advise me on what to do?

Pretty much from the beginning, she has had a tendency to pee where she really shouldn't. Most notably on beds. Other than this, she generally has no problem using her litter box. This problem is mostly controlled by simply keeping doors to bedrooms closed, but that isn't really a solution as such particularly since, true to her species, if she wants to get somewhere she is rather good at finding ways to do it.

I've heard a number of theories as to why she does this but little in the way of helpful advice, other than that getting her spayed might help- which I already intend to have done anyway, probably at her next vaccination. Has anyone else had this problem with a kitten? Any suggestions?

Thank you, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

-Q

Without reading the other responses my immediate reaction is a urinary tract infection unless the cat is spraying. You didn't indicate where on the bed the cat is peeing. In general, if the cat is squatting on the bed she's "peeing". If the cat is doing then then I think she has a UTI. If the cat is peeing on vertical surfaces that is "spraying".

I love cats. Unfortunately I had to put one of my cats to sleep this weekend because he had feline leukemia. He was only 3 1/2 years old. I'm concerned as to how he got it as he was never an outdoor cat and from what I understand it's very rare for a cat to live so long if he was born with leukemia.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:54 am

Dave R. wrote:
    I love cats. Unfortunately I had to put one of my cats to sleep this weekend because he had feline leukemia. He was only 3 1/2 years old. I'm concerned as to how he got it as he was never an outdoor cat and from what I understand it's very rare for a cat to live so long if he was born with leukemia.

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. Sounds very sad. They become members of our family and when we are forced to give them up, it's hard and unfair.
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:04 am

My former cat, Boo. Siamese and thee friendliest cat ever. Didnt even want him when given to me as a gift when he could fit in my hand. Other cats or dogs that were near or visit would stand-off or spaz in front of him and he would stare and just sit and park it and watch them like they were crazy and he couldnt be touched.lol. Stuck to me like static since day 1. Peed like me, standing up, just from watching me I think. His pooing was hind legs on the box and feet on the floor. He used it like a toilet.

Any cat people here? (My kitten has a very bad habit...) Boo1g

Last edited by Q mystic on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:05 am

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img832/7929/boo2t.jpg

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img94/7679/boo3g.jpg

died of some immunity disease at 4.5 yrs old. Crying or Very sad Had to put him down and believe I put him on the table after injection too fast. Didnt know before what I know now tho. Didnt know I could still ball like that either. Have become pretty jumpy at anything that resembles non-love for a cat since. By owner that is.
    Nic
    Nic

Post by Nic Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:44 am

Probably getting your cat fixed will fix your problem, but there may be other causes. I had a male kitten who began peeing on the bed because I started dating someone. Sometimes it's a behaviour issue rather than a physical or medical one. The spray bottles help, and sometimes it's just time that helps.

Cats are very smart and need stimulation, so make sure you have interesting things for the cat to do while you are not there and give her lots of love while you are at home. Otherwise she may progress to pooping in your shoes!
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:19 am

my old roommate's (male) cat used to pee on my bed every chance he got. every single time it was in the exact same spot, and he'd always cover it up with one of my tshirts out of the dirty clothes pile, as if to hide it. eventually I had to start keeping my door closed at all times. he never did it anywhere else in the house.
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:00 pm

edit

Last edited by Q mystic on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:00 pm

Any cat people here? (My kitten has a very bad habit...) Catjt
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Any cat people here? (My kitten has a very bad habit...) Empty We even have several cats among our employees ...

Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:52 am

Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:15 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:

I have a theory that people that don't like cats outside of allergies are initially stand-off-ish.lol

I never liked cats for the longest time until I got to know one, only I think because they can be portrayed so horrifying when they're angry and their initial attitude. My wife who had watched almost zero television has no fear of spiders. I havent befriended a spider yet so they remain many eyes, many legs and fangs. No fight but we have zones(spiders and I). I enter their zone, I leave. They enter mine without leaving as quickly and its an invasion but I do believe they act independantly so I dont hold it vs the rest. My wife loves kittens but she's not a fan of cats. They're wild tho as they get older there.

I will send her this. It'll help. Thanx.=)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:23 pm