E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+4
Aikiman
Dutch Budo
PointyShinyBurning
Q mystic
8 posters

Rickson vs Rolls vid

Q mystic
    Q mystic

Rickson vs Rolls vid Empty Rickson vs Rolls vid

Post by Q mystic Sun May 12, 2013 7:55 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXKoy-uEHcM
    PointyShinyBurning

Rickson vs Rolls vid Empty Re: Rickson vs Rolls vid

Post by PointyShinyBurning Sun May 12, 2013 9:50 pm

Very cool, only footage of Rolls I'd seen before was him disposing of some karate fellow in 30 seconds on Gracies in Action.
    Dutch Budo
    Dutch Budo

Post by Dutch Budo Mon May 13, 2013 12:02 am

Rolls was considered the best gracie fighter that ever lived. I can see why, his takedowns are strong and putting it in the timeframe we´re looking at, its very impressive.
    Aikiman

Post by Aikiman Mon May 13, 2013 6:57 am

Besides the superb takedowns and the amazing top game, what stood out was the diference in class between the both of them. That's the kind of roll you do with one of your students, whose talent you respect but that you are sure you can pretty much deal with whatever he throws at you, very, very good!
    Emanuele2

Post by Emanuele2 Tue May 14, 2013 7:02 am

Handsome video; good days (I argue late '80s early '90s) when bjj was bjj and not mma oriented with a lot of butt falling and crappy tachi waza.
    Several weeks ago I watched a video about a no gi bjj competition held about in late '90s; it resembled a lot judo and wrestling with good throws. later in the years bjj went stalling in ground grappling with flying armbars and a lot of butt falling; too MMA standardized
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Tue May 14, 2013 8:39 am

Yup, Rolls (in this vid) looked to me ALL judo. 100%

I don't mean anyway on the outcome as I read that Rickson was just a teen here and Rolls was an adult(in his prime, I assume) but just that Rolls here fighting seems 100% judo from my pov.

Dutch Budo
    Dutch Budo

Post by Dutch Budo Tue May 14, 2013 9:41 am

The more you go back in history the more bjj and judo look like each other. At those times there was no internet and techniques were passed on the old fashioned way, from master to student. With the internet, bjj evolved quickly into what it is now.

btw Rickson was never a big utilizer of the butt drop techniques, in fact he was a decent judoka in his own right.
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Tue May 14, 2013 10:19 am

Dutch Budo wrote:The more you go back in history the more bjj and judo look like each other. At those times there was no internet and techniques were passed on the old fashioned way, from master to student. With the internet, bjj evolved quickly into what it is now.

btw Rickson was never a big utilizer of the butt drop techniques, in fact he was a decent judoka in his own right.

Are you sure that Rickson was a decent judoka because he looks incredibly noob standing in every video I have ever seen. I think he was a killer but simply chose to fight specifically one way(being smart and seeing whats out there at the time), and he has done well with it, but Rolls looks like a judoka, tho I dont doubt he had a decent back game.
    Emanuele2

Post by Emanuele2 Wed May 15, 2013 12:29 am

Look for example this bjj match between Frank Mir and Roy Nelson, held 10 years ago (2003).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dj5xMeXybs
    It has a lot of judo and wrestling if compared to now bjj.
    Dutch Budo
    Dutch Budo

Post by Dutch Budo Wed May 15, 2013 4:14 am

Q mystic wrote:
    Dutch Budo wrote:The more you go back in history the more bjj and judo look like each other. At those times there was no internet and techniques were passed on the old fashioned way, from master to student. With the internet, bjj evolved quickly into what it is now.

Are you sure that Rickson was a decent judoka because he looks incredibly noob standing in every video I have ever seen. I think he was a killer but simply chose to fight specifically one way(being smart and seeing whats out there at the time), and he has done well with it, but Rolls looks like a judoka, tho I dont doubt he had a decent back game.

Rickson has a black belt and trained with Medhi Sensei in Brazil. He´s not a top judoka nor Samboka, but he knows enough to takedown people that know nothing of judo/wrestling and he is able to nullify judoka and wrestlers enough to implement his groundgame. (In this video both gracies are wearing white belts, which implies that they are far from the best they ever were)
    Dutch Budo
    Dutch Budo

Post by Dutch Budo Wed May 15, 2013 4:16 am

Emanuele2 wrote:Look for example this bjj match between Frank Mir and Roy Nelson, held 10 years ago (2003).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dj5xMeXybs
    It has a lot of judo and wrestling if compared to now bjj.

Those are heavy weights, theres not a lot of guard pulling in that weight class anyway. Around 2003 there was a lot of guard pulling already. General rule of thumb is the lower the weight, the more people jump/sit guard.
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Wed May 15, 2013 5:29 am

it's funny talking about how old BJJ and judo were very similar. my BJJ instructor made some interesting comments with regards to names of techniques.

"most these names you here are entirely an American thing. in Brazil, we called the 'kimura' an ude garami, we called the basic armbar a juji gatame, ..."

I sat there quietly, but really wanted to make some comments at the time.
    Freelancer
    Freelancer

Post by Freelancer Wed May 15, 2013 8:25 am

Rolls looked very good in this video. The prototype of the great grappler.
    Res Judicata

Post by Res Judicata Thu May 16, 2013 3:31 am

Dutch Budo wrote:
    Q mystic wrote:

Rickson has a black belt and trained with Medhi Sensei in Brazil. He´s not a top judoka nor Samboka, but he knows enough to takedown people that know nothing of judo/wrestling and he is able to nullify judoka and wrestlers enough to implement his groundgame. (In this video both gracies are wearing white belts, which implies that they are far from the best they ever were)

You can see Rickson in 1987 playing Hayward Nishioka towards the end of htis clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhKH7tWiqu8

He did okay.
    PointyShinyBurning

Post by PointyShinyBurning Thu May 16, 2013 3:35 am

Dutch Budo wrote:(In this video both gracies are wearing white belts, which implies that they are far from the best they ever were)
    The video is from 1980, both were black belts.
    Emanuele2

Post by Emanuele2 Fri May 17, 2013 6:14 pm

Since judo and bjj looked quite similar in the '80s and in the early '90s; it would have been interesting to see Royce vs Yoshida in the second UFC. Both were in their prime and shared the same weight.
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:58 am

another Rolls vid....randori with Alvaro Romano...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Kk7Gmyt5KhE#!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:32 pm