E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+15
Vin
Udon
DarthVader
JudoMum
Davaro
JudoStu
genetic judoka
afulldeck
OldeEnglishD
Heisenberg
still learning
Stacey
Neil G
rjohnston411
TheWizardofOdds
19 posters

Which Slim-fit Gi?

KShaft

Which Slim-fit Gi? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

Post by KShaft Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:07 am

TheWizardofOdds wrote:Thanks Vin.

I think the shuraai lite is a one and a half weave, I could be wrong. It's a perfect weight I think. I'll look into the keiko. I take it the single weaves are much more liable to ripping or tearing?

I'm pretty much done with heavy double weave  suits. Is the adidas j500 a single weave? The j650 could be an option.

What about the Mizuno Shiai? Its double weave but light weight. Its also tapered so a slimmer fit. If you put it on top of my Mitsuboshi gi it looks almost exactly the same dimensions but is snug, but still soft and great mobility. Also you can try a Yusho Japan. Its not a slim fit but if its anything like the mitsuboshi (which it should be very similar as the Mitsuboshi is a Japansese made gi and top of the line as is the Mizuno Yusho) it fits very well but breathes wonderfully, and doesnt feel like a double weave gi.

Also there is the Keiko or Pedro gis, and the Fushida Tournament. Both 1.5 weaves. There are guys here who own both and can help you decide which would be best for you as both are good as well (from what Im told).

I had the same thoughts as you on the double weave gi's as the Fuji double weave was heavier than the Mitsuboshi 510 and the Shiai and it feels that way too. Theres the Champion from Matsuru as well which is the same weight as the 510 (it wont breathe as good but it might be good enough) and is also IJF approved.
    Udon
    Udon

Post by Udon Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:39 am

1. “Looseness” in the fit of judogiFor some time, I have felt there is something wrong with today’s judogi. It is because when you get into them, you don’t get a feeling of “looseness” or “roominess.” To give one example, when I’m giving lessons on Seoinage, I can’t even maneuver my wrist grabbing my opponent’s collar because there isn’t enough room, and that shouldn’t be. If things go on this way, we’ll no longer be able to use this most basic of judo techniques, and it will be impossible to practice real judo. The difference between combative sports like sambo, sumo and Iran’s wrestling as compared with judo comes in what you wear. The outfits make a big difference in what kind of techniques you can use.
    "Judogi had their origins in the Japanese kimono, and because kimono are loose-fitting, this made it possible to execute a wide range of techniques, and that led to judo’s distinctive “Sho yoku dai wo seisu (small can conquer large)” character. The outfit formerly used in jujitsu was relatively close fitting, but modern-day judo brought in judogi with a fuller, looser fit.
    When judogi don’t have the necessary looseness, it kills the unique nature of judo, and judo begins looking like other combative sports, one result being that you lose the interest and attraction of open-weight matches. Speaking of matches, one thing we need is to have pre-match checks, inserting the hand to see whether the athletes’ judogi are loose enough." This is from an interview with Okano Sensei last year.
    Vin
    Vin

Post by Vin Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:50 am

To Udon,

Well the new IJF gi rule is just for that, to assure that there is enough slack on the gi for certain technique like Morote-Seoinage. Tight gi has its disadvantage and loose gi has its advantage. Your opponent has to pull a little more or use a little more kuzushi if you have a loose fitting gi.

I know what you mean, I was a Morote person myself until I injured my elbow and the tight gi didn't help. But there is more than one way to do Morote, and I was recently shown by someone how to do it against an uki with a tight gi. So instead of sticking ones elbow (Horizintally bended) under the arm of the uki. You would simply pull the sleeve arm onto your vertically bended arm, rotate and throw the person more off to the side instead of over. It is a little faster than the old style Morote.

You can also do a same sided grip for Morote-Seoinage. That is what I used against tight gi before I was shown the variation. Just watch out, with the new rules, you will have to throw immediately with the same side grip or you will get a shido.
    TheWizardofOdds

Post by TheWizardofOdds Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:45 am

Does anyone have a Fuji single? They seem only to be available from the US.

I think as far as looseness goes, there are all sorts of shapes and sizes doing judo and trying to get a grip of the big guys gis can be very difficult. For skinny people like me it would be good not to give away acres of my suit to someone's grip all the time. Personally I think I could execute all the moves I would need to in a much leaner cut than I have. Its hard enough fighting someone heavier and stronger as it is.

I'm quite sure I don't want a double weave that's for sure. I want a light suit with a lean cut if possuble, if not, that's cool.
    Vin
    Vin

Post by Vin Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:04 am

We ship to most countries. Where are you from, and what size are you looking for?
    TheWizardofOdds

Post by TheWizardofOdds Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:57 pm

I'm a 175 cm. Not sure if I should go up to 180cm. Both my 175s are short in the sleeve now. I'm from Scotland. Where are you Vin?
    Vin
    Vin

Post by Vin Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:01 am

I'm in the U.S., You will need a minimum of a size 5 in the Fuji single. Maybe a size 6 if you have long arms and shrink it down. But the size 6 could be very loose on you depending on how much you weight or if you are a slim person.
    TheWizardofOdds

Post by TheWizardofOdds Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:53 pm

Yes that's the problem...I've got long arms and short legs! I go between 150-154lbs normally and am going to try and get down to 144-ish. GI trousers are fine at 175cm but jackets are too short in the arms. I was thinking of going up to 180cm but I imagine the suits will probably be huge on me.
    DSGhST07

Post by DSGhST07 Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:31 am

I'm 6ft 180lbs, I want the Yusho Comp but always have trouble with the sleeves being too short and body being too large.
    NittyRanks
    NittyRanks

Post by NittyRanks Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:23 am

just got off the phone with Hatashita. Apparently the old armor heavy GI’s are just not being made. Ichiban and Eurocomps are done so you just have to get the heaviest GI you can. I just bought a Shia Comp so I am going to see how it goes. The Yusho has a longer skirt than the Shia does which is the major difference between the two
    diang84

Post by diang84 Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:36 pm

Just bought from sales a former model of adidas j930.A regular fit blue gi and a slim fit white.Same height.The blue one fits me like a glove.I really like the way the cloth is,the texture,everything!!
    The White one for a strange reason is actually kind longer about 4" longer.
    Sleeves are perfect though.Looks like i will have to go for modifications and it wont be a big deal.
    As for the slim fit...i wont say that i have an experience.Currently i just have these from adidas and a pair of the ijf approved from green hill(awesome judogis).
    But must say that the blue one from adidas is amazing on texture and everything else.
    TheWizardofOdds

Post by TheWizardofOdds Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:51 am

I've always liked the adidas j930s I think its called. It looks a very neat cut and properly slim-fit. I just don't like the stripes, or I'd of bought one ages ago.

I was looking at the Fushida site again last night and noticed that an Icon- Lean Cut is imminent. I love the look if that GI so I'm going to keep a close eye and hope that they put up half decent photos.
    diang84

Post by diang84 Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:55 am

A silly question...slim fit is supposed to be better for slimmer persons,right?My slim fit j930 is a lot longer than the regular j930.I bought them for training and regular tournaments so i can go for modifications.
    TheWizardofOdds

Post by TheWizardofOdds Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:08 am

That's right. Have you washed the slim-fit yet? At least its too long. If it was too short there's not much you can do about it. Except send it back of course.
    diang84

Post by diang84 Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:00 am

it's about 4 inches longer in comparison with the regular fit....Theoritically...these that i bought are supposed to be the previous ijf approved(they dont shrink).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:52 am