E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+7
NBK
finarashi
still learning
kodokanjudo
afulldeck
Cichorei Kano
amadus
11 posters

CK's Book

amadus

CK's Book Empty CK's Book

Post by amadus Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:38 am

Any updates?
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

CK's Book Empty Re: CK's Book

Post by Cichorei Kano Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:27 am

amadus wrote:Any updates?

Haven't really touched it since last year due to too much other necessary work. However, the section on itsutsu-no-kata is finished and so is the part on kata for children, as are some sections on medical aspects of judo. Focus is now on the very lengthy section on Koshiki-no-kata. This will take a long time due to all the translations of classical handwritten Japanese texts.

Thanks for asking, be well.
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:25 pm

Cichorei Kano wrote:

Haven't really touched it since last year due to too much other necessary work. However, the section on itsutsu-no-kata is finished and so is the part on kata for children, as are some sections on medical aspects of judo. Focus is now on the very lengthy section on Koshiki-no-kata. This will take a long time due to all the translations of classical handwritten Japanese texts.

Thanks for asking, be well.

I can't wait to see your work.
    kodokanjudo
    kodokanjudo

Post by kodokanjudo Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:49 am

Still saving my money to buy this book.
    amadus

Post by amadus Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:03 am

I haven't saved, just planning to get two more jobs and taking a mortgage out on my house, car, and children.
    still learning

Post by still learning Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:15 am

amadus wrote:I haven't saved, just planning to get two more jobs and taking a mortgage out on my house, car, and children.
    Am sure CK will give discount to forum members, or even a free e-edition for your kindle Rolling Eyes
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:25 am

still learning wrote:
    amadus wrote:I haven't saved, just planning to get two more jobs and taking a mortgage out on my house, car, and children.
    Am sure CK will give discount to forum members, or even a free e-edition for your kindle Rolling Eyes

CK's Book Tumblr10
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:26 pm

Knowing him this means to general public $159.95 but to certain forum members $519.99
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:45 pm

afulldeck wrote:

I can't wait to see your work.
    I can't wait to see him work, either.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:48 pm

NBK wrote:I can't wait to see him work, either.
    CK's Book Jack3610
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:49 pm

finarashi wrote:Knowing him this means to general public $159.95  but to certain forum members  $519.99
    Why did you move that decimal point to the left ?
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:36 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    NBK wrote:I can't wait to see him work, either.
    CK's Book Jack3610
    Nice work! Looks like the tan is coming along....
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:15 pm

afulldeck wrote:
    Nice work! Looks like the tan is coming along....
    Thanks, you're too kind. I am still working on that bikini line though.
    Jihef
    Jihef

Post by Jihef Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:46 pm

Three Judo Forums and counting…
    EastGer_Jûdôka

Post by EastGer_Jûdôka Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:40 am

@CK
    When did you start to write your book?
    I'm only a newbie in the forum that's why Wink
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:24 am

EastGer_Jûdôka wrote:@CK
    When did you start to write your book?
    I'm only a newbie in the forum that's why Wink
    I am not sure; somewhere around 2000. I started with national history of judo in several countries. Although often complicated, it is still relatively easy, because except for knowing or learning facts, you do not need special knowledge for that. Writing, seriously writing about the most advanced kata of jûdô requires a kind of knowledge that goes beyond facts and that is not easy to acquire. Writing is also difficult when one has to write about something of which it is unknown what exists. So, the research is immense as you have to collect stuff and items of which no one knows they exist. When you know they exist it is still extremely difficult to locate and acquire. Libraries, not even academic libraries have the sources one needs and you cannot get that historic stuff via interlibrary load. There is information I wrote before 2000 which is included, such as that what I wrote in an academic thesis or papers published prior to 2000.
    EastGer_Jûdôka

Post by EastGer_Jûdôka Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:02 pm

Thank you! I know, the writing about history in several countrys is relatively easy, because I write an essay abut the Jûdô in the German Demokratic Republic. It is in german, but may I will published it here.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:48 pm

I think there is a need to reflect on a quote often attributed to Churchill - 'History is written by the victors'.  For this reason, I actually think it is very hard to write the history of judo in a given country. For example, the history of British judo is NOT the history of the BJA, as it is often relayed.  Country histories tend to be only about the history of judo in the NGB that finally prevailed to become the dominant one.  I would expect the history of British judo to include the roles played by prominent non-BJA organisations and personalities e.g. the BJC, the AJA, Masutaro Otani, Kenshiro Abe, Bill Wood etc..and NOT just be about Palmer, Gleeson and Leggett. In reality, the role played by the non-prevailing NGBs and their personalities is usually absent, or relegated to an obscure footnote.

Last edited by Jonesy on Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:41 am

Jonesy's point is well taken.

When I write that national judo history is relatively easy, then I mean this in comparative terms:

- it's often in a language which is quite easy to understand unless you are dealing with some country where a language is spoken that is not spoken anywhere else and that has little or no affinity with most other languages (for example, Hungarian ... or Japanese)

- national judo history is relatively young, barely one century old so nothing prehistoric

- because national judo history is so young, until recently people who were there from the very start were still alive

- you won't be the first; others will have attempted to do the same before you, and you will benefit from their work

- the sources are relatively easy to find because we have good libraries i the West, and the sources will be cheap since no one is interested in it

- you can already do quite a bit of research from your home while seated on your lazy butt, simply using the Internet and databases for newspapers and many of the things which Joe Svinth has previously suggested

- there is little new judo material in the sense that it conflicts to that extent with things that go all the way to the core of judo so that people will go to an extreme to force you to not publish your work or give up on it

- you can do your research without expensive overseas plane trips and lengthy stays that take you away from your professional job while not having any income

In that respect it is 'easy' when compared to research that has to be done in Japan and that goes to the core of judo and that entails stuff of which the Kôdôkan does not know a thing or that might threaten the welfare or continuation if it comes out ...
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:44 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:Jonesy's point is well taken.

When I write that national judo history is relatively easy, then I mean this in comparative terms:

In that respect it is 'easy' when compared to research that has to be done in Japan and that goes to the core of judo and that entails stuff of which the Kôdôkan does not know a thing or that might threaten the welfare or continuation if it comes out ...
    Expect no help there.

Also, there is the challenge represented by the language itself, particularly prewar or more ancient script. It can be very difficult to transcribe, understand, and interpret.

Last week I attended an English language advanced social science lecture at the University of Tokyo. The lecturer, a Japanese PhD on study sabbatical at U. Tokyo, gave his lecture in English; it was pretty straight forward, a study of the impact of Showa era Japanese education policy on literacy through measurement of certain factors.

His respondent, an associate professor at a major Tokyo university, was very well prepared (in fact, much more so than the lecturer) with an extensive handout with notes and bibliography. The audience was mixed Japanese and foreign grad students and PhDs (and me What a Face  ...).

Anyhow, the bilingual respondent was to respond in English, but started with the disclaimer that the prewar Japanese technical terms and concepts of the articles were very difficult to describe - in modern Japanese, much less in English - and it was beyond his capability to translate, so ended up giving the counterpoint in Japanese. And actually skirted most of the technical terms in the process.

When I hear things like this, I am not sure whether to be relieved that even the Japanese pros have serious problems in doing such, or throw up my hands at some of the challenges.

NBK
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:10 am

NBK wrote:
    Cichorei Kano wrote:Jonesy's point is well taken.

Expect no help there.

Also, there is the challenge represented by the language itself, particularly prewar or more ancient script.  It can be very difficult to transcribe, understand, and interpret.

Last week I attended an English language advanced social science lecture at the University of Tokyo.  The lecturer, a Japanese PhD on study sabbatical at U. Tokyo, gave his lecture in English; it was pretty straight forward, a study of the impact of Showa era Japanese education policy on literacy through measurement of certain factors.  

His respondent, an associate professor at a major Tokyo university, was very well prepared (in fact, much more so than the lecturer) with an extensive handout with notes and bibliography.  The audience was mixed Japanese and foreign grad students and PhDs (and me What a Face  ...).    

Anyhow, the bilingual respondent was to respond in English, but started with the disclaimer that the prewar Japanese technical terms and concepts of the articles were very difficult to describe - in modern Japanese, much less in English - and it was beyond his capability to translate, so ended up giving the counterpoint in Japanese.   And actually skirted most of the technical terms in the process.  

When I hear things like this, I am not sure whether to be relieved that even the Japanese pros have serious problems in doing such, or throw up my hands at some of the challenges.  

NBK
    Does that mean you are going to show me some sympathy with regard to some of the hakubun I have to translate ?!
    michi
    michi

Post by michi Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:59 pm

Im new to the forum but from the post I have read thus far I would be very excitied to read your book CK. I hope its still a forth coming publication.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:52 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:.....
    Anyhow, the bilingual respondent was to respond in English, but started with the disclaimer that the prewar Japanese technical terms and concepts of the articles were very difficult to describe - in modern Japanese, much less in English - and it was beyond his capability to translate, so ended up giving the counterpoint in Japanese.   And actually skirted most of the technical terms in the process.  

NBK

Does that mean you are going to show me some sympathy with regard to some of the hakubun I have to translate ?!
    Sympathy is not my strong suite.  But what does translating hakubun have to do with national jûdô histories?
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:36 am

Does anyone know the status of the forth coming book. CK has been on line for awhile.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:24 pm

As I understanfd the situation the work towards the book is slowly progressing, with the current focus of attention being the translation of some of the difficult ancient Kito-ryu texts and processing other accumulated results from decades of extensive research.

The absence of any grants or other forms of financial support for this endeavour, or indeed for any such judo research, make such laborious and time-consuming work very difficult to realise when balanced against other priorities. The book project will therefore still take considerable time unless there are significant positive changes in financial support that could help to accelerate the work.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:38 am