E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

Paul Maruyama Conferment Ceremony Japanese Imperial Decoration

Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Paul Maruyama Conferment Ceremony Japanese Imperial Decoration Empty Paul Maruyama Conferment Ceremony Japanese Imperial Decoration

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:28 pm

http://www.denver.us.emb-japan.go.jp/en/culture/topics/2013/06212013.html

The award is the Order of the Rising Sun, 4th Class

Paul Maruyama was a member of the US 1964 Olympic team. Congrats !
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Paul Maruyama Conferment Ceremony Japanese Imperial Decoration Empty Re: Paul Maruyama Conferment Ceremony Japanese Imperial Decoration

Post by Ben Reinhardt Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:41 am

His an amazing man and judoka. I had the privilege to attempt to do Judo with him many many years ago at the USOTC. His advice: Learn how to stand up, as it seemed as soon as he took a grip I fell down via ashi barai.
    NBK
    NBK

Paul Maruyama Conferment Ceremony Japanese Imperial Decoration Empty Re: Paul Maruyama Conferment Ceremony Japanese Imperial Decoration

Post by NBK Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:32 pm

A book Paul Maruyama wrote about his father's exploits in Manchuria after WWII.  Only $3.03 for Kindle.  Fascinating history.   And his efforts saved my mother in law and countless others, for which I am grateful excepts when Mrs. NBK gives me a hard time.

Paul Maruyama Conferment Ceremony Japanese Imperial Decoration 51ngEKhA1eL._SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_

Paul Maruyama's Escape from Manchuria
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:30 pm

NBK wrote:... for which I am grateful excepts when Mrs. NBK gives me a hard time.

That sweet little thing?  I cannot imagine her uttering anything approaching a cross word, or disapproval, or telling you to keep your fat-assed American friends (and the occasional Brit) off her antique chairs lest they break them with their super-sized, hamburger-gobbling, beer-guzzling corpulence ... Wink

P.S.  ... of course Mr. NBK knows I read Mr. Maruyama's book, enjoyed it, and learned a lot of history that isn't much discussed in the US yet is critical to a vaguely educated opinion about current events in East Asia.  Plus, wow, what an interesting life one of our finest judoka has had!

Mr. Natural, why don't you present a copy ... we can probably get it signed ... to the the granddaughter of Caligula's horse?  Would make fine welcome snapshot for your dojo wall.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:38 pm