E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+3
medo
Jonesy
Bimyou
7 posters

Attempting to throw with one handed grip drives me "NUTS"

Bimyou
    Bimyou

Attempting to throw with one handed grip drives me "NUTS" Empty Attempting to throw with one handed grip drives me "NUTS"

Post by Bimyou Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:31 pm

Many years ago when I was first learning Judo I tried to throw a good contest player with a one-handed grip.  Of course it didn't work and he put me in my place by saying: "Two hands for beginners .......!"  It was a lesson well learned and I never forgot it.

Fast forward 40 years ......  I now occasionally visit a club where a nidan instructor regularly teaches, what I regard as "poor fundamental skills" in the form of one handed grip attacks.  I am much more senior in age, rank and experience to this instructor and it drives me "NUTS" to see such clearly poor technique being introduced to a mixed class of children and adults.

Unfortunately an elderly friend of mine ranked shichidan is the chief instructor and never says "boo" about these silly and irritating techniques.  So far I have said nothing but never join in on the practice of these silly moves and simply teach a similar but more orthodox technique using TWO hands emphasizing kuzushi.

I suppose this question relates to any visitor at any club where poor judo fundamentals are being taught.  I wonder what some of my esteemed peers thinks about one's obligations of respect and civility as a club visitor vis-a-vis a more senior instructor's obligation to promote good judo?
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Attempting to throw with one handed grip drives me "NUTS" Empty Re: Attempting to throw with one handed grip drives me "NUTS"

Post by Jonesy Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:28 pm

Sorry to say - it is not your dojo and so it is none of your business. It would be very bad form to criticise the nidan teacher in front of his class or to wade in and correct his teaching. What you describe goes on everywhere, where lots of dedicated teachers have a very poor grasp of judo technical principles. There is also a trend for these folks to try and teach some of the more extreme skills they see at high level competitions to an inappropriate class - e.g. too young, too inexperienced. Also, quite often they do not understand how the high level competitor "really" executes the technique either.

You clearly feel very strongly about this so I would just not go to this club.
    medo

Attempting to throw with one handed grip drives me "NUTS" Empty Re: Attempting to throw with one handed grip drives me "NUTS"

Post by medo Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:30 pm

Found this happening at so many clubs on my travels, my pet hate is seeing instructors trying to teach kids "one" step taiotoshi (jumping) and watching students not being corrected with a near enough is good enough approach.
    Most instructors like to teach their succesfull techniques this ones had success with fighting one handed so perhaps he's trying to create mini me's Smile  seen it so many times over the years. Very difficult to address if you are a visiting instructor.
    sodo
    sodo

Post by sodo Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:53 pm

as a visitor you have to keep quiet, if it is bad just don't go back, if it is very bad just leave, if it is very very bad say why you are leaving  No 

I have done all three  Embarassed 

atb

sodo
    JFTW

Post by JFTW Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:02 am

My question here is: ARE in fact ALL one handed techniques "bad" judo??
    still learning

Post by still learning Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:42 am

JFTW wrote:My question here is: ARE in fact ALL one handed techniques "bad" judo??

Of course not, well timed ashi waza can be done one handed and very effectively, if the opportunity and timing are appropriate.

What about makikomi, only one hand is gripping!
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:50 am

JFTW wrote:My question here is: ARE in fact ALL one handed techniques "bad" judo??

Why would they be ?  I have even seen people score perfect ippon with no hands or grips involved. I vividly remember a full ippon ashi-barai in the 1970s by a woman where the opponent flew a meter of the tatami and which occurred without grip. If it is possible to do perfect judo with no hands and with two hands, why would it not be possible with one hand ? I would only be concerned you would be performing techniques using your three hands.
    medo

Post by medo Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:39 am

No! Only teaching quick fix contest type techniques to beginners is possibly "bad" Judo.

Had lots of success with a low left ippon seoinage due to the fact as a light weight some of the bigger players would not let me get two hands on them. Also been caught in randori by CK's no handed foot sweeps a few times in my rush to get a grip  Sad  all part of experienced type judo.

I also cringe when high grades tell the session sutemi waza is bad judo,  its only bad when taught too early before the basics(the "F" word) all of judo's techniques have merit and need practicing, just some you take to and others not so much so as you clock up mat time over the years.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:15 am