E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+5
wdax
Cichorei Kano
JakubMB
jkw
gester
9 posters

Kata Gi

gester

Kata Gi Empty Kata Gi

Post by gester Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:00 pm

What is a Kata Gi?

KuSakura makes one that is IJF certified but not certified for contest.
    I can't find what the difference between a "contest" gi and a "kata" gi.

"The KuSakura JOK model judogi is our international kata judogi, it meets International Judo Federation (IJF) specifications and is certified for use at international kata events. This judogi model comes with the IJF certification label attached to the jacket and the pants.

The JOK model is rated at a strength of more than 2400 newtons. Newtons are units for measuring force and this measurement indicates the amount of force that can be applied to the judogi before ripping or failure. The IJF specification calls for a minimum of 1980 newtons for judogi certification which is easily exceeded by all IJF certified KuSakura products.

Please note: This model is not certifed if use in IJF contest events."

The complete description is at:
    http://judogear.jp/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_38

Regards,
    Gester
    jkw

Kata Gi Empty Re: Kata Gi

Post by jkw Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:49 pm

gester wrote:What is a Kata Gi?

A marketing strategy.
    JakubMB

Post by JakubMB Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:53 pm

As I'm planning on buying a new gi I notced this too. It got me wondering, what the heck will they come up with next. The only 'significant' feature of this judogi is the whie "S" on the lapel. I actually kind of liked that, because I like plain white judogi. Marketing I guess...
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:17 am

It's for jûdôka who only practice jûdô show in a jûdô club that only practices kata ...

In this way it differs from an ukemi gi or an uchi-komi-gi.

Last edited by Cichorei Kano on Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total
    wdax

Post by wdax Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:27 am

The kata gi is extremely soft - Iwould not recommended it.
    justcurious

Post by justcurious Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:59 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:It's for jûdôka who only practice jûdô show in a jûdô club that only practices kata ...

In this way it differs from an ukemi gi or an uchi-komi-gi.

I think it must be similar to my tai-otoshi gi drunken 
    judo66
    judo66

Post by judo66 Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:33 am

There was a time when the competition gi were so thick that it was difficult to work some kata properly. It also caused some other problems in randori and shiai since some techniques were almost not possible (in particular strangulations involving uke's lapel). I do understand that some regulations are important in shiai but for kata competitions??? All you need is a basic single weave gi for kata practice (beginner gi) For ju no kata you don't even need a gi, this is something that you may want to try with someone you love particularly.  Cool 
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:59 am

I have the softest judogi that KuSakura make (or made 5 years ago). I ordered it via the Kodokan Shop, custom made. It is a very fine judogi.
    gester

Post by gester Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:22 am

Wondered about the gi style. Thought it might be more of a "throwback" gi with an extra long apron and larger arm and leg openings. (i.e. not as form fitting as a contest gi).

Gester
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:56 am

I assume it does not come in blue either.....an excellent thing!
    gester

Post by gester Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:58 pm

wdax,

Would you mind saying what gi you use?

Regards,
    Gester
    wdax

Post by wdax Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:48 pm

gester wrote:wdax,

Would you mind saying what gi you use?

Regards,
    Gester

During the past years I used different Gis for Kata (competition). The main problem for us is to find a gi, which fits perfect to my Partner and myself. The best compromise some years ago was a Japan made Mizuno, a gi I still like today. It's also ok for randori in japan, but here in Europe, were grip-fighting is more intensive, I do not use it for randori.

Then the rules changed and we needed an IJF certified gi. Mizuno was possible, but not our model, so we bought Essimo competition gis. They are very good for both, Kata and randori, but not as comfortable as the Mizuno.

In Kyoto we looked at the KuSakura, they have a perfect size-system, which allows you to buy a gi with perfect measures. The kata gi does not have this Fine size adjustments and Additionally is so soft, that it felt more like a pyjama then a judogi. So we have the top-model of the competition gis.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:01 am

Don't forget that also the brand of wdax's belt no doubt played a significant role in his kata competitive successes ...

By wearing just the same gi one still might end up falling one medal short, so one must absolutely go for the same gi and belt.
    judo66
    judo66

Post by judo66 Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:00 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:Don't forget that also the brand of wdax's belt no doubt played a significant role in his kata competitive successes ...

By wearing just the same gi one still might end up falling one medal short, so one must absolutely go for the same gi and belt.

Boy ho boy, your answer is even more sarcastic than mine Twisted Evil 
    cokiee

Post by cokiee Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:22 am

I have the kusakura JOK, and it is indeed very soft - and porus, i might add. Under sunlight I can faintly see my fingers underneath the weave. It's almost like a single weave. The cut of the gi is also, as mentioned by someone, very generous, with very wide armholes with sides completely untapered. The JOK has a nice firm lapel however. I certainly would not use this for randori / shiai.

I also own a mizuno yusho (pakistan made), and that is significantly thicker, without compromising the flexibility and comfort for me. It also has wide armholes, but a slightly tapered width when compared to the kusakura JOK. The lapel of the yusho, for me, are on the softer side.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:57 am