E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+3
Jonesy
still learning
KShaft
7 posters

Fuji gi bought now what?

KShaft

Fuji gi bought now what? Empty Fuji gi bought now what?

Post by KShaft Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:30 pm

Well after purchasing a Fuji gi, I think its a bit heavy and a bit bulky. You kind of have to buy a size too big for the sleeves to be regulation thanks to the infinite wisdom of the IJF.
    Its made very nice and is a solid recommendation but it just fits me a bit odd and is heavy. I still can use it but would like to get another Gi anyway since Im doing this 4 times a week so Im not washing the Fuji constantly, and to get perhaps a blue gi for competitions and to get a gi that will be more to my preference.

I was wondering if some ones could recommend a gi that was perhaps a "1 1/2" or light double weave that would be good for training and comp.  Id like for it to be soft, and if not soft at least very mobile and non restricting.
    Ones I had in mind:
    - Fushida tournament
    - Tokari premium
    - Addidas Elite or Contest (The instructors kids[who compete internationally and are young adults] at OSU had a Champion and I thought it looked damn awesome but I dont want so heavy...) If I get blue I should just go with an elite cause its $50 extra bucks for the contest than the white...????
    - Yusho Japan
    - Mizuno Sempai (not blue unfortunately)
    - Yusho II
    - Maybe light weight KuSakura (JOWI) This one has many different sizes to properly fit me, but It will take a while for it to arrive and Id like it sooner than later for the second gi purpose.
    - Togoya Master (I think this is the same weight as an Elite. The only problem with this would be sizing. I bet this would not be far off from the Japanese gis quality wise but since its long distance mail order, it can be a crap shoot and the time thing).

Im sure the Mizuno or Kusakura will probably be the best, but Im still wary about getting a Mizuno and being a silly white belt who is still taping for lack of air...  and there is the possiblity I might move better in one of the 1.5 weave gis (But then again I guess the Yusho's are supposed to be light weight double weaves...) oh and yeah what was that other thing, oh yeah MONEY!

Thanks,
    Keith S

Thanks a bunch.
    still learning

Fuji gi bought now what? Empty Re: Fuji gi bought now what?

Post by still learning Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:19 pm

As a white belt I don't know why you are worrying at blue gi or IJF regulations. As you progress through the grades and are in a position to compete you may well have worn out the gi you currently have.

Of the gi you list I own a Tagoya and an Adidas. They are both nice gi and would do you well, however my favourite gi is a Mizuno Shiai. The cut of the gi very comfortable and despite my other gi being newer I always look for this one first.

Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:48 am

Mizuno keiko is a great 1.5 weave and reasonably priced. As a white belt you do not need a blue judogi.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:57 am

toraki premium is great. you can get mixed sizing and half sizes with some of their gi. If you don't have to worry about money, you can get a good Mizuno. Of course, by the time you may actually need a blue gi, those regs will have changed again, and your gi won't be legal.

Yes, I'm in agreement that spending a ton of money on gi as a white belt is unnecessary. However, if you know you're going to stick with judo for a while and have the money with nothing else that you need the money for, like loan payments or a child's education fund, then there's nothing wrong with wanting and using good gi.
    OldeEnglishD
    OldeEnglishD

Post by OldeEnglishD Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:25 am

I have both the Fushida Tournament and the Toraki Premium. I prefer the Fushida hands down. Very well made, I have had mine close to 3 years and it still looks brand new. I do at least 2 classes a week in it, never had an issue.
    Heisenberg
    Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:37 am

Fushida Tournament and Mizuno Keiko (AKA Jimmy Pedro) are both nice 1.5 weave judogi. I own both and use them regularly. Of the two I prefer the look and cut Fushida, and the feel of the Mizuno.

Adidas Elite is not a thin judogi. It's quite stout. I own one and rarely use it.

KShaft

Post by KShaft Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:23 am

still learning wrote:As a white belt I don't know why you are worrying at blue gi or IJF regulations. As you progress through the grades and are in a position to compete you may well have worn out the gi you currently have.

Of the gi you list I own a Tagoya and an Adidas. They are both nice gi and would do you well, however my favourite gi is a Mizuno Shiai. The cut of the gi very comfortable and despite my other gi being newer I always look for this one first.

The IJF regs thing was Vinh's suggestion at kodakangear to be wary of. Hes the one who suggested the size I got in order for the arms to be long enough for the IJF rules which could possibly trickle down to local tournaments and that makes sense. I hope they dont locally. I dont see the need for it either but if they do and I just get a nice fitting gi with short sleeves and theres a comp, well then thats yet another gi I have to buy.

Blue, for comps. The club doesnt really care about your belt for competing. This is a big University and they will send you to competitions and thats the point of the club. Its competition focused. They will send you just for numbers sake. Maybe we dont need the blue gi BUT, I saw beginner white belt dudes at a LOCAL OSU competition, one had blue gis and one had white gis. Ill talk to the coaches about it.

Ill look at the Shiai seriously, but I think the Yusho's are lighter weight which is what Id like...
    KShaft

Post by KShaft Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:30 am

Heisenberg wrote:Fushida Tournament and Mizuno Keiko (AKA Jimmy Pedro) are both nice 1.5 weave judogi. I own both and use them regularly. Of the two I prefer the look and cut Fushida, and the feel of the Mizuno.

Adidas Elite is not a thin judogi. It's quite stout. I own one and rarely use it.

Is the mizuno softer? Is this why you prefer the feel?
    Heisenberg
    Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:41 am

The Mizuno's fabric has more loft; it's fluffier. The Fushida has a tighter knit that is very flat and smooth and more like canvas.

Here is a photo. I hope it is clear enough you see the difference.
    Fuji gi bought now what? Photo
    KShaft

Post by KShaft Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:05 pm

Jonesy wrote:Mizuno keiko is a great 1.5 weave and reasonably priced. As a white belt you do not need a blue judogi.

Thanks!

Stacey wrote:toraki premium is great.  you can get mixed sizing and half sizes with some of their gi.  If you don't have to worry about money, you can get a good Mizuno.  Of course, by the time you may actually need a blue gi, those regs will have changed again, and your gi won't be legal.

Yes, I'm in agreement that spending a ton of money on gi as a white belt is unnecessary.  However, if you know you're going to stick with judo for a while and have the money with nothing else that you need the money for, like loan payments or a child's education fund, then there's nothing wrong with wanting and using good gi.

When I started out boxing I went for okay gloves. $60-$80. Stuff from ringside and title from their own brands. Not greatly made, not much ergonomics, not great protection. Then I went for the top line Mexican gloves, Reyes and Grants. $120-$150 (then; now grants will run you at least $250-$350 for basic models but is NOT worth it). Still not the best protection or ergos, but they are made loverly. So I make the splurge to get the Japanese made Winnings. $250 shipped in 2008-9. Awesome craftsmanship, effortless ergos (close and open a fist) and protection that still makes people scratch their heads and is unparalleled for you and your sparing partner, not to mention accurate to weight (which is hard to find outside of pro fight gloves and Winnings).  So I wasted a bit of coin when I could have just went straight to the cream of the crop. So thats why Im willing to go all out right off. I need another gi so Im not washing the Fuji continuously.

OldeEnglishD wrote:I have both the Fushida Tournament and the Toraki Premium.  I prefer the Fushida hands down.  Very well made, I have had mine close to 3 years and it still looks brand new.  I do at least 2 classes a week in it, never had an issue.

How do these compare to other double weaves? Are they noticeably lighter? They apparently are durable enough...

Thanks all
    KShaft

Post by KShaft Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:09 pm

Heisenberg wrote:The Mizuno's fabric has more loft; it's fluffier. The Fushida has a tighter knit that is very flat and smooth and more like canvas.

Here is a photo. I hope it is clear enough you see the difference.
    Fuji gi bought now what? Photo

Thank you for the fast reply. Yes I can see the difference t/y.

Which one is lighter would you say, and since the Mizuno is softer would you say its more manuverable or not?
    Heisenberg
    Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:15 pm

KShaft wrote:

Which one is lighter would you say, and since the Mizuno is softer would you say its more manuverable or not?

How do these compare to other double weaves? Are they noticeably lighter? They apparently are durable enough...

Thanks all

Yes, noticeably lighter than the Mizuno Shiai and Adidas Elite judogi I own. The doubles are just too hot for the Florida summers. I do not own and have never owned any single weaves, but both are noticeably sturdier than the beginner judogi (KD, Macho, Warrior) we sell to beginners through the club.

Fushida feels lighter, though I've never weighed them. Fushida is probably more maneuverable due to the cut. It is more like a BJJ cut while the Keiko is more traditionally cut.
    KShaft

Post by KShaft Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:24 pm

Heisenberg wrote:
    KShaft wrote:

Thanks all

Yes, noticeably lighter than the Mizuno Shiai and Adidas Elite judogi I own. The doubles are just too hot for the Florida summers. I do not own and have never owned any single weaves, but both are noticeably sturdier than the beginner judogi (KD, Macho, Warrior) we sell to beginners through the club.

Fushida feels lighter, though I've never weighed them. Fushida is probably more maneuverable due to the cut. It is more like a BJJ cut while the Keiko is more traditionally cut.

Oh when I say maneuverable I mean the gi is not stiff at all? I heard the Icon is stiff. I understand the Mizuno as you said is softer so Im looking at the gi slowing down movement because of its being stiffer than the mizuno if that makes sense.

Thank you again for the fast reply!!
    Heisenberg
    Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:41 pm

Neither are stiff after a few washes. Out of the package, I'd say the Mizuno is less stiff.
    KShaft

Post by KShaft Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:20 pm

Heisenberg wrote:Neither are stiff after a few washes. Out of the package, I'd say the Mizuno is less stiff.

Thank you for all your help sir!
    OldeEnglishD
    OldeEnglishD

Post by OldeEnglishD Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:56 am

KShaft wrote:
    Jonesy wrote:Mizuno keiko is a great 1.5 weave and reasonably priced. As a white belt you do not need a blue judogi.

Thanks!

Stacey wrote:toraki premium is great.  you can get mixed sizing and half sizes with some of their gi.  If you don't have to worry about money, you can get a good Mizuno.  Of course, by the time you may actually need a blue gi, those regs will have changed again, and your gi won't be legal.

Yes, I'm in agreement that spending a ton of money on gi as a white belt is unnecessary.  However, if you know you're going to stick with judo for a while and have the money with nothing else that you need the money for, like loan payments or a child's education fund, then there's nothing wrong with wanting and using good gi.

When I started out boxing I went for okay gloves. $60-$80. Stuff from ringside and title from their own brands. Not greatly made, not much ergonomics, not great protection. Then I went for the top line Mexican gloves, Reyes and Grants. $120-$150 (then; now grants will run you at least $250-$350 for basic models but is NOT worth it). Still not the best protection or ergos, but they are made loverly. So I make the splurge to get the Japanese made Winnings. $250 shipped in 2008-9. Awesome craftsmanship, effortless ergos (close and open a fist) and protection that still makes people scratch their heads and is unparalleled for you and your sparing partner, not to mention accurate to weight (which is hard to find outside of pro fight gloves and Winnings).  So I wasted a bit of coin when I could have just went straight to the cream of the crop. So thats why Im willing to go all out right off. I need another gi so Im not washing the Fuji continuously.

OldeEnglishD wrote:I have both the Fushida Tournament and the Toraki Premium.  I prefer the Fushida hands down.  Very well made, I have had mine close to 3 years and it still looks brand new.  I do at least 2 classes a week in it, never had an issue.

Thanks all

Lighter than a double weave, but still a sturdy feel to them. The Fushida is heavier than the Toraki, but not too heavy like a double weave can feel at times. Love the Fushida, it is my go to gi.
    KShaft

Post by KShaft Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:50 am

Thank you.
    KS
    NittyRanks
    NittyRanks

Post by NittyRanks Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:27 am

I got a Kusakura yesterday and it's actually lighter than my Eurocomp from Mizuno. I actually like a GI to be more like Armour. You get used to it over time.
    KShaft

Post by KShaft Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:54 am

may I ask which model of KuSakura you got?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:17 pm