E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+5
FightingSpirit
BillC
finarashi
Stacey
Judokid1
9 posters

New qualification requirements for US judo players.

judoratt
    judoratt

New qualification requirements for US judo players.    - Page 2 Empty Re: New qualification requirements for US judo players.

Post by judoratt Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:07 am

FightingSpirit wrote:finarashi,
    yes thanks.  But by alll means if I am missing something I would more than welcome being corrected on this point...  See link below for IJF description of the world ranking list and remaining qualifying quotas.

Yes - 22 qualifying quotas (per 14 div) come from the top 22 on the World Ranking list.  The remaining 7-8 quotas per div come from 100 remaining total quotas divided by 14 divisions (~7); which amounts to ~1 Continental quota per continent plus 1 host country quota for a total of 30 athletes per division.

The World Ranking List will consist of points from
    Continental Open, Grand Prix, Grand Slam, Masters, Continental Championships, World Championships and Olympic Games:
    The five best results during each 12 month period will count + one extra (6th) result

*** Olympic Qualification Period Begins - May 30, 2014 ***
    For the year 2014 (only - similar legs for 2015);
    Leg 1 will include all International events from January 1 to March 31.
    Leg 2 will include all International events from April 1 to June 30.
    Leg 3 will include all International events from July 1 to September 30.
    Leg 4 will include all International events from October 1 to December 31.

- For the 2012 Olympics the Average Top 30 qualifying athletes competed in 6-8 events in the year prior to the Olympics
    - Qualifying Points are good for two years, however they are only 50% value  for 2nd year
    - Strategy to make WRL top 22 by attending ~six events per year (for two years) within affordable regional  range in the 2014-2015 qualifying period
    - -Estimate ~$3,000 per event equates to about ~$18,000 per year, or `$36,000 per athlete to qualify...

IJF WRL Olympic Qualification Described

fs,
    Great research and math. I believe your numbers are a little low there are many more costs for training athletes than just traveling to and competing in major events. the number I regularly quote is $35k to $50k yearly could be closer to Bill's # of $60k. Few athletes competing at this level work full time if at all, many of their regular expenses need to be covered if they are going to spend the time to train and compete at this level. IT will take more than six events to qualify. Many trips almost half of the athletes are one loss and done so I would guess a minimum of 12 events yearly to qualify. I believe that you would need six years start to finish to make a Olympic team, the first two years are needed to compete at national and international events to get your judo up to that level. After one is competitive an that level National/sub international you would need a full 4 years to get competitive and qualify at that level. So if some one would ask me what would it cost to make an olympic team my number would be $200k.
    JR JMHO

FightingSpirit
    FightingSpirit

New qualification requirements for US judo players.    - Page 2 Empty Re: New qualification requirements for US judo players.

Post by FightingSpirit Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:18 am

judoratt wrote:
    fs,
     Great research and math. I believe your numbers are a little low there are many more costs for training athletes than just traveling to and competing in major events. the number I regularly quote is $35k to $50k yearly could be closer to Bill's # of $60k. Few athletes competing at this level work full time if at all, many of their regular expenses need to be covered if they are going to spend the time to train and compete at this level. IT will take more than six events to qualify. Many trips almost half of the athletes are one loss and done so I would guess a minimum of 12 events yearly to qualify. I believe that you would need six years start to finish to make a Olympic team, the first two years are needed to compete at national and international events to get your judo up to that level. After one is competitive an that level National/sub international you would need a full 4 years to get competitive and qualify at that level. So if some one would ask me what would it cost to make an olympic team my number would be $200k.
                         JR JMHO
    JR,
    great points, agree 100% wrt your estimate for total cost - these additional/inherent costs absolutely reinforce how cost prohibitive this "qualification system" has become... It is absolutely out of control - rediculous!

Holding all of these inherent costs constant - it should be evident to the average forum reader how huge the qualifying cost delta is between today's system, the 2000 olympic qualifying system, and the proposed alternative compromise to meet the requirements for a smaller field via both a more cost effecient and fairer approach for would be olympic prospects around the globe.
    judoratt
    judoratt

Post by judoratt Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:54 pm

FightingSpirit wrote:
    judoratt wrote:
    fs,
                         JR JMHO
    JR,
    great points, agree 100% wrt your estimate for total cost - these additional/inherent costs absolutely reinforce how cost prohibitive this "qualification system" has become...  It is absolutely out of control - rediculous!  

Holding all of these inherent costs constant - it should be evident to the average forum reader how huge the qualifying cost delta is between today's system, the 2000 olympic qualifying system, and the proposed alternative compromise to meet the requirements for a smaller field via both a more cost effecient and fairer approach for would be olympic prospects around the globe.

fs,
    I agree, the one major positive is that the US athletes that qualify will be more competitive than many have been in the past. The IJF qualifying forces them to be competitive with the best in the world if they want to make the team. When did the US team have three athletes in the semi finals of the Olympics? Surprised Surprised 
    FightingSpirit
    FightingSpirit

Post by FightingSpirit Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:10 pm

judoratt wrote:
     fs,
       I agree, the  one major positive is that the US athletes that qualify will be more competitive than many have been in the past. The IJF qualifying forces them to be competitive with the best in the world if they want to make the team. When did the US team have three athletes in the semi finals of the Olympics? Surprised Surprised 

Question Idea banghead Question scratch study jocolor Question
    ccwscott

Post by ccwscott Wed May 28, 2014 6:05 am

Davaro wrote:
    BillC wrote:
    finarashi wrote:Plus now you have to earn your place in the Olympics personally doing international competitions. Not just beating your team mate at the trials.

Which is why ... and not just in judo ... the entire Olympic movement has lost its charm for me.  More than that, the entire endeavor is morally questionable for multiple reasons.

Cant agree more. Events such as the Olympics should be about representing your country only. If you are the best in your country at any given sport, you should qualify. Even if it only the best person in said division etc. Or best team, or whatever.

Why be forced to get "points" in Europe, or at the "grand slam/prix" type events?

Because if they did it your way it would take 4 months to get through all the matches.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:36 am