E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+11
Allen
Neil G
Hanon
medo
Jihef
judoratt
Stacey
tafftaz
GregW
NBK
oldronin82
15 posters

Scared to start Judo

oldronin82

Scared to start Judo Empty Scared to start Judo

Post by oldronin82 Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:01 am

Hello Everyone

I am new to this forum, and also to judo, in fact I have not started training judo yet. I am 30 years old, and every year once or twice I really want to to try joining a judo club but I get really intimidated and chicken out. I am not worried about randori, or being thrown a 1000 times, but I am worried I will get killed in the warm up exercises. When I was in my early 20's I tried Muay thai, and got destroyed in the warm up. I felt like such a wimp not being able to keep up in front of everyone, and then could hardly walk for a week! So now I picture myself having the same problem in judo not being able to hack it........I found a club that has a lot of older players and from I hear they only do like 15-20 min warm up. Can anyone help me get the balls to try something I have wanted to do for years. Its really bothering me that I cant get myself to try
    NBK
    NBK

Scared to start Judo Empty Re: Scared to start Judo

Post by NBK Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:40 am

well, showing up drunk to increase your courage, even if you're allowed on the tatami, won't help you in your quest to keep from getting killed, so, get on with it. Even if you don't do well, with a modicum of rest and non-harmful exercise, you should get better quickly.

What people don't realize is that judo even at a beginner level can be a great core workout.

Any instructor worth his salt will recognize that a student is tiring and will back off a notch or two so they don't get hurt in a poorly executed fall.

Statistically in Japan judo is an incredibly safe endeavor - the insurance for a year is only about USD$20. You can't get that for motorcycling, mountain climbing, skydiving, etc.....
    GregW

Post by GregW Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:44 am

I started back into judo at the age of 51 after 36 years off the mat. If I could survive it, so can you. My son was 10 when we started and it made him sore, too. He called it "the pain of happiness."  Smile That was over four years ago and we're still going strong. Don't put it off--just go for it.
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:14 am

A good warm up will only take 15-20 mins with a good instructor anyway. OP where are you based?
    Maybe someone on here can recommend a good club that will suit your needs.
    oldronin82

Post by oldronin82 Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:52 am

I never mentioned anything about showing up drunk hahah, I hope that was a joke? Anyways I know I just need to get in there. My ego isnt big like it was when it was 20 so I think I would be better at pacing myself.

I am located in Toronto, Canada
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:19 am

I'm a 46 year old woman. Grow a pair.

sodo likes this post

oldronin82

Post by oldronin82 Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:32 am

Great input Stacey, sure you are an asset to your club with that attitude
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:50 am

At 30 you are still young enough to make judo a big part of your life. Ok maybe you won't get to the next Olympics but you can still gain shodan by 40 if you put your mind to it.
    Life for some people is full of regrets, What ifs......????
    Do you want to be one of them? A life with regrets is no life at all.
    Go and enjoy. Pace yourself. No one is going to expect you to keep up with the higher grades.
    The longer you train the fitter and better you will get.
    Keep us informed of your progress.

sodo likes this post

Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:56 am

30 thinks it's old; it's not. But, if you're too afraid of falling flat on your face in your first judo class, you must not be good at starting anything that could actually test you. Dating must be hell.

If it's worth it to you, grow a pair. If it's not, move on.

And, hell yes, I'm an asset to any judo club. I have the balls to participate.

sodo likes this post

tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:02 am

Hell I'm a 49 yr old sandan and I still fall flat on my face regularly Laughing 
    oldronin82

Post by oldronin82 Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:10 am

I did mention I have no fear of randori or falling 1000x lol so much for reading my post. anyways ill use this as motivation to try a class, im commited to trying at least one class and Ill let you know how it goes.

Stacey I am married, and I dont care for smart ass comments Smile
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:25 am

smart ass comments - I don't care. I'm a judoka. Get on the tatami or forget about it. You're the one who's afraid of not hacking the warm-up, especially because 1. you had a Mui Thai class that kicked your ass a decade ago and 2. now you're older. If a warm-up intimidates you, and I piss you off.... (fill in the insult because you'll interpret it as an insult). If you're rational, realize that you can only work to your current fitness level and do not have to jump off ever bridge you're instructed to, then maybe, just maybe, you'll be man enough to actually show up for your first beginner class.

You're 30. Big deal. There are a ton of people who start way later than that. There are a ton of people who continue to participate well into their 70's and 80's. If you're a grown up, you realize that when it comes to physical exercise, you do what you can so that you can meet your obligations the next day. You don't kill yourself just because the 16-22 year old crowd are doing it. You don't push it past the point of adding value to your workout.

If they say do 10 judo push-ups and you can only safely do 5, do 5. If you don't like what I have to say, oh well. At least I'll still be on the tatami instead of wishing once or twice a year that maybe, if I was in good enough shape or wasn't afraid of killing myself in WARM-UP, that I was on the tatami.

Must be a real pain when a woman with 16 years on you is doing what you've only been able to dream about.....
    oldronin82

Post by oldronin82 Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:35 am

I never mentioned age as a factor, I think you must have fallen on your head one too many times since you still cant relate to anything mentioned in my original post. Your attitude sucks, I would expect words like that comming from 13 year old boys after their balls drop for the first time. I think you have said your piece so stop littering my thread with garbage. Seriously is this how you welcome a newcomer to the fo,rum looking for some encouragement? lol
    judoratt
    judoratt

Post by judoratt Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:42 am

oldronin82 wrote:I never mentioned age as a factor, I think you must have fallen on your head one too many times since you still cant relate to anything mentioned in my original post. Your attitude sucks, I would expect words like that comming from 13 year old boys after their balls drop for the first time. I think you have said your piece so stop littering my thread with garbage. Seriously is this how you welcome a newcomer to the fo,rum looking for some encouragement? lol  

Maybe you not doing judo is the right decision. You are a little too soft and I am not sure if you have any balls.  Shocked Shocked 
    Jihef
    Jihef

Post by Jihef Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:27 pm

NBK wrote:What people don't realize is that judo even at a beginner level can be a great core workout.  
    Very true. Regularity in practice is THE number one key in judo.

Bonus :
    Here is one free piece of advice, that I give to every adult beginner that shows up to try judo out (even though no one ever listens…) :
    Know yourself, know when to stop, and keep your (male) ego in check.

Many, many beginners want to be able to practice everything right away, and will end up gassed out (or even throwing up) on the sidelines.
    In the beginning, do not hesitate to pass some parts of the workout, or when randori practice is on, pass your turn when oxygen is necessary.
     Rolling Eyes 
    oldronin82

Post by oldronin82 Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:41 pm

That is sound advice, if I had that attitude in Muay Thai I probably wouldnt have quit! Problem is young guys never listen to it hahah and I was one of them. I have recently been able to work out regularly 3x a week because I finally started slow instead of burning myself out in the first week.
    medo

Post by medo Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:02 am

Hi oldron

I suppose with anything new, hesitation exists for some, JUst go and DO it, your old enough to know what you can and cannot do. The days of doing box splits with another guy pushing on your shoulders are long gone(well for beginners anyway Smile ).
    Enjoy let us know how you get on
    oldronin82

Post by oldronin82 Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:08 am

Ill definitly let you guys know how it turns out. question thought. A friend gave me a judo gi that is huge, and another that is small, which of the two is more appropriate? they both "fit".

I am 6'2 170, so most gi's are big on me due to my height weight
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:06 am

oldronin82 wrote:Hello Everyone

I am new to this forum, and also to judo, in fact I have not started training judo yet. I am 30 years old, and every year once or twice I really want to to try joining a judo club but I get really intimidated and chicken out. I am not worried about randori, or being thrown a 1000 times, but I am worried I will get killed in the warm up exercises. When I was in my early 20's I tried Muay thai, and got destroyed in the warm up. I felt like such a wimp not being able to keep up in front of everyone, and then could hardly walk for a week! So now I picture myself having the same problem in judo not being able to hack it........I found a club that has a lot of older players and from I hear they only do like 15-20 min warm up. Can anyone help me get the balls to try something I have wanted to do for years. Its really bothering me that I cant get myself to try

It takes real courage to write an open and honest post like that especially on a public forum. To understand and know yourself is a great thing. Such honesty will serve you well when you begin your judo training under the right teacher.

The first step on that mat is always the hardest. Once you make that step you have won a very important battle. Take heart and take the plunge.

I have sent you a PM.

Mike

Hanon

Post by Hanon Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:12 am

tafftaz wrote:Hell I'm a 49 yr old sandan and I still fall flat on my face regularly Laughing 

Shush you! lol. I am an awful lot older, been practicing judo more years than you have age and live on my face. You youngsters! Phewwww.

How are you Taffy? Look after yourself.

You kids..... mutter mutter mutter.

Kindest regards to you and yours.

Mike

Congratulations on the san dan BTW. Very well done, only 7 more dans to go!
    Neil G
    Neil G

Post by Neil G Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:57 am

oldronin82 wrote:Ill definitly let you guys know how it turns out. question thought. A friend gave me a judo gi that is huge, and another that is small, which of the two is more appropriate? they both "fit".

I am 6'2 170, so most gi's are big on me due to my height weight
    Your sensei or seniors can help you out with that. I'm sure either one will do fine for your first class.

I wouldn't put it so bluntly as others have, but there is definitely an element of Just Do It involved here. Talking it to death won't provide your answers, you need to just give it a try. We see adult beginners of all types and as long as they sincerely want to do judo they are welcome. As far as I'm concerned, if you want to learn I want to teach you. No other requirements.
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:20 am

Hanon wrote:
    tafftaz wrote:Hell I'm a 49 yr old sandan and I still fall flat on my face regularly Laughing 

Shush you! lol. I am an awful lot older, been practicing judo more years than you have age and live on my face. You youngsters! Phewwww.
    angs to the face
    How are you Taffy? Look after yourself.

You kids..... mutter mutter mutter.

Kindest regards to you and yours.

Mike

Congratulations on the san dan BTW. Very well done, only 7 more dans to go!

Hi Mike, nice to hear from you. I am going in for keyhole surgery on my groin finally next Tuesday. 6 week recovery period before any sort of training.
    Hoping to be back in work after 3 weeks though.
    Apart from that I am good.
    Hope you are well my friend.

As for living on your face, well you are better looking than me. I can't take any more bangs to the face or the wife won't recognise the man she married  Laughing 
    Allen
    Allen

Post by Allen Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:06 am

I started Judo at age 34 and 250+ lbs. I had an opening post on the old Judo forums called "New. Terrified. Fat."

I got a lot of support from a lot of the same people here giving you support Smile

All I can say is, it's been over 4 years since I've started. I'm now a brown belt and a big asset to my club, who are like a second family to me. It has been hard. It has been very good for me for my health and fitness and mental well being. I'm glad I did and I would do it over again.

During competition I have sustained a pretty serious injury (torn ACL) and even with that rehab I still would do it all over again. I love Judo!
    Wandering WB

Post by Wandering WB Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:05 am

Welcome to judo forum. Stacey and judoratt are right, you are a wimp. However, look on the bright side -  
    they were once every bit as wimpy as you are now. Before they took up martial arts.Smile
    Kaze

Post by Kaze Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:21 pm

I obviously can't speak for every club but generally it's fine to sit out for a bit if you need a rest. White belts are generally given a decent amount of leeway. Our club would rather have you build up over time than be scared of after 1 session.

As others have mentioned. You want to do this enough that you have created the thread. There's nothing we can really say to make the decision for you you just have to go along. Worst case scenario is you feel it's not for you and you can look for alternatives.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 pm