E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+3
BillC
Jonesy
NBK
7 posters

Dr. DeMars on judo and a counterpost

NBK
    NBK

Dr. DeMars on judo and a counterpost Empty Dr. DeMars on judo and a counterpost

Post by NBK Sat May 17, 2014 4:55 pm

From e-budo.com: a link to Dr. Ann Maria DeMars' blog entry discussing judo, and a counterblog.

http://budobum.blogspot.jp/2014/01/a-rant-about-budo-and-sports.html
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Dr. DeMars on judo and a counterpost Empty Re: Dr. DeMars on judo and a counterpost

Post by Jonesy Sat May 17, 2014 8:03 pm

Some good ideas, some strange ideas and while I can see the point he was trying to make, the arguments as articulated in the Budo Bum blog do not make the case. He is 100% correct in that judo is more than a sport, and that those who focus only on sport judo are only accessing a sliver of what judo really is.
    BillC
    BillC

Dr. DeMars on judo and a counterpost Empty Re: Dr. DeMars on judo and a counterpost

Post by BillC Sun May 18, 2014 2:47 am

NBK wrote:From e-budo.com: a link to Dr. Ann Maria DeMars' blog entry discussing judo, and a counterblog.

http://budobum.blogspot.jp/2014/01/a-rant-about-budo-and-sports.html

Thanks, Mr. Natural. Surprised to some extent that you've posted this particular topic.

Dr. AMDM is correct to some extent. The FOCUS on the externals ... especially at tournaments ... is the most negative judo I can imagine. She is correct, it's the opposite of inclusive. And to some extent the BudoBum shares my sentiment that exposing relative beginners to the confusing, referee-driven mess that local judo tournaments have become is equally distasteful.

Here's the part I think both have missed ... at least in this edit.

If one cannot teach a student to tie the obi correctly, a simple task, what should be expected when they step on to the tournament mat? What should be expected later in life when they are expected to modulate their behavior in their neighborhood, their workplace? What kind of limits can one set for more complicated tasks if the student does not meet such a simple expectation? To establish the ability of self-control, the concept of control must first be understood. "M" for manners in the MIND initiative perhaps?

On the flip side, the reason so much judo has disappeared outside of the Olympic jacket wrestling context is that very few people remain who were understand any of this ... much less to teach judo as a martial art. Those that profess to have this capacity are often so full of $#!% that their eyes are brown ... Judo Show .. form over substance. The tied belt is an expression of understanding ... "I am here with both humility and appropriate pride, I understand what is expected, I am ready for bigger things."

Both miss this important point of intersection of otherwise different points of view.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Sun May 18, 2014 5:58 am

Why surprised I posted this? I actually didn't read it all, but I thought it might be of interest to someone.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Sun May 18, 2014 2:56 pm

NBK wrote:Why surprised I posted this?  I actually didn't read it all, but I thought it might be of interest to someone.  

She's actually quite an interesting and thought-provoking woman, it's a pleasure to know you both, though I can hardly imagine two people more completely at opposite poles on so many topics than Dr. AMDM and Mr. Natural.
    ccwscott

Post by ccwscott Wed May 28, 2014 3:56 am

It's generally my experience that people who spend a lot of time engaging in self righteous rants about honor, respect, and dignity, haven't learned much about any of those things. You can learn a lot of deep lessons from judo, but you can also get excersise and socialization and travel and fun out of it. If someone says they enjoy Judo because of the exercise and it causes you to go into an uncontrolled rage, you have not learned any of the deep lessons judo can teach you.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Wed May 28, 2014 4:55 am

ccwscott wrote:It's generally my experience that people who spend a lot of time engaging in self righteous rants about honor, respect, and dignity, haven't learned much about any of those things.  You can learn a lot of deep lessons from judo, but you can also get excersise and socialization and travel and fun out of it.  If someone says they enjoy Judo because of the exercise and it causes you to go into an uncontrolled rage, you have not learned any of the deep lessons judo can teach you.

Well, sometimes you just want breakfast,

... or you want to know why traffic's not moving.

Raj Venugopal

Post by Raj Venugopal Wed May 28, 2014 6:14 am

Someone who appreciates the wisdom of "Falling Down." I'd like to buy you a beer.
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Wed May 28, 2014 6:09 pm

Raj Venugopal wrote:Someone who appreciates the wisdom of "Falling Down." I'd like to buy you a beer.

+1

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:10 am