E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+3
Fritz
davidn
Renesco
7 posters

Confused and stuck.

Renesco

Confused and stuck.  Empty Confused and stuck.

Post by Renesco Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:27 am

Hello folks.

Started Judo 7 monthes ago. This post isn't to whine or complain, just need some guidance and ideas on how to progress.

Uchikomis:
    I still can't perform basic throws correctly:
    - Forward throws. When doing the entry setup I actually break my own balance. I have real trouble with footwork. For example, I've tried O goshi hundreds of times still can't do it.
    - Backward throws are a little bit better and can sometimes manage more or less to apply some of them during uchikomis. However, never in randori.

I sometimes wish to have decent time to train and practice basic throws slowly, without stress or pressure, correctly and at my own pace so at least figure it out how to do them properly. But the club I'm in usually has 5 minutes of uchikomis per 2 hour sessions, whereas 1 hour of randori. This isn't surprising as the club is full of black belts and I'm the sole beginner.

Problems in randori:
    -I have trouble even trying to apply throws or sweeps, as the 'opponents' dominate me in kumikata. My attempts are telegraphed and they easily dodge them and counter. SO I can't practice techniques.

Personally I don't see any progress since at least my second month of practice. I've talked to my sensei about that (mildly) basically his answer was:
    - Judo is learnt progressively. It takes years.
    - 7 months is nothing.
    - You do have progress you just don't see it.

He makes sense but sometimes I wish for a laid back basic drills. I've tried to do some footwork at home but it just isn't the same without an uke.

What's your overall comment on that? Is this common or should I change my strategy in learning? Thanks a lot for feedback!
    davidn

Confused and stuck.  Empty Re: Confused and stuck.

Post by davidn Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:55 pm

Renesco wrote:Hello folks.

Started Judo 7 monthes ago. This post isn't to whine or complain, just need some guidance and ideas on how to progress.

Uchikomis:
    I still can't perform basic throws correctly:
    - Forward throws. When doing the entry setup I actually break my own balance. I have real trouble with footwork. For example, I've tried O goshi hundreds of times still can't do it.
    - Backward throws are a little bit better and can sometimes manage more or less to apply some of them during uchikomis. However, never in randori.

I sometimes wish to have decent time to train and practice basic throws slowly, without stress or pressure, correctly and at my own pace so at least figure it out how to do them properly. But the club I'm in usually has 5 minutes of uchikomis per 2 hour sessions, whereas 1 hour of randori. This isn't surprising as the club is full of black belts and I'm the sole beginner.

Problems in randori:
    -I have trouble even trying to apply throws or sweeps, as the 'opponents' dominate me in kumikata. My attempts are telegraphed and they easily dodge them and counter. SO I can't practice techniques.

Personally I don't see any progress since at least my second month of practice. I've talked to my sensei about that (mildly) basically his answer was:
    - Judo is learnt progressively. It takes years.
    - 7 months is nothing.
    - You do have progress you just don't see it.

He makes sense but sometimes I wish for a laid back basic drills. I've tried to do some footwork at home but it just isn't the same without an uke.

What's your overall comment on that? Is this common or should I change my strategy in learning? Thanks a lot for feedback!

Your sensei is correct. Keep training, it will come. Some things catch immediately, some take a while (For me, almost everything takes a while! haha). From an old guy who learned basically enough to teach his kids, it just takes more practice. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Fritz
    Fritz

Post by Fritz Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:13 pm

@Renesco:
    Uchi-Komi is for automatisation of correct movements. That means, you have to be familiar with the throws, you can apply them stablely and so on ...
    Otherwise Uchi-Komi is nonsense ...
    Renesco wrote:I sometimes wish to have decent time to train and practice basic throws slowly, without stress or pressure, correctly and at my own pace so at least figure it out how to do them properly.
    This desire is quite legit. Change the Dojo if there is no one who gives you opportunity to learn and try out the techniques at your pace - if not you will be always the "punching ball" for all the strong grip fighters.
    sodo
    sodo

Confused and stuck.  Empty Confused and stuck.

Post by sodo Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:33 pm

I agree with Fritz, it is the wrong type of club for a beginner.
    Y-Chromosome
    Y-Chromosome

Post by Y-Chromosome Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:35 am

I have the opposite frustration as an instructor. The kids never develop good enough form, for me to be able to take it to the next step and drill them hard for speed and cardio.

If you drill bad form, you're just ingraining bad habits.

Uchi-komi should be accompanied by feedback to adjust/correct form as you go.
    Things like "lift the arm more", "bend the knees more"...

The only time that wouldn't be needed is with seasoned students drilling techniques they're already very comfortable with.

Not sure what you're getting as feedback but you can certainly ask a question during the pause, like "why is uke slipping around the side?". This may prod the instructor to give more specific feedback before you dive back into the reps.
    sodo
    sodo

Post by sodo Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:42 pm

The class needs to be split into training levels, this only works if you have competent assistants otherwise split the class timewise f.e. lett the novices come 15 minutes arlier and start the main class 15 minutes later, if you have to do this make sure NO advanced students come in early unless they are actually helping teach, let the novices stay on and train seperately duruing randori or more advanced training. I personally do not let novices (white and Yellow belts) train techniques that are classed as higher than their grade.

I feel for Y-Chromosome, I am back after a nearly 2 year layoff and the class i have at the moment are not exactly enthusiastic competitors so I have to match the class to them, If somebody with a different attitude started then I would pass them on to another club where they would get what they are looking for. It goes both ways and you have tio work the best with what you have and always remember the most important rule is HAVE FUN.

atb

Sodo
    Bill M

Post by Bill M Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:51 pm

Renesco,

Do not know where you are, but you may want to look into Sid Kelly's "5 Steps to Randori." You can view videos on it on you tube. If the dojo your are at is willing (the sensei) you may find this approach helpful. We use this with all new teen and adult students.

Good Luck,
    Bill Montgomery
    Jihef
    Jihef

Post by Jihef Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:01 pm

Bill M wrote:Do not know where you are, but you may want to look into Sid Kelly's "5 Steps to Randori."  You can view videos on it on you tube.

Sid Kelly :
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzfsebVO0c81Xo50iCpEr5g/featured

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:51 pm