E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

Kano Jigoro sensei (about 1928) - about ju 柔 meaning in judo 柔道

noboru
    noboru

Kano Jigoro sensei (about 1928) - about ju 柔 meaning in judo 柔道  Empty Kano Jigoro sensei (about 1928) - about ju 柔 meaning in judo 柔道

Post by noboru Tue May 18, 2021 7:20 pm

Minoru Mochizuki talks with Kano Jigoro sensei (about 1928) - about ju 柔 meaning in judo 柔道 - way controling hardness and softness #柔道 #judo #嘉納治五郎 #Kano #望月稔 #Mochizuki

Minoru Mochizuki talks with Kano Jigoro sensei
    Mochizuki wrote:Then one day after I had finished my report Sensei asked me this question. “How do you understand the character ju in the word judo?” “It means flexible or soft,” I replied. “Can you practice judo only by being flexible or soft?,” was his retort. Now I was caught. Of course, if you are only soft you will lose every time. Sensei continued, “What you are doing is not judo but godo (hard way), and that will never do. Within flexibility there is rigidity and within rigidity there is flexibility. Jujutsu is the way of controling what we call hardness and softness by means of the blending of these two essential concepts.”

At the time I was only a boy of 21 and so I listened with the feeling that I understood somewhat what he was saying and yet I didn’t understand. Since “ju” is something that is very rational, it is quite an intellectual concept.

Source: https://aikidojournal.com/2002/11/18/interview-with-minoru-mochizuki-1/

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:28 pm