E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+9
Wisconsinite
Davaro
ThePieman
seatea
cuivien
Hanon
Cichorei Kano
Stacey
genetic judoka
13 posters

cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

cool gadgets/toys to waste money on Empty cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

Post by genetic judoka Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:32 am

every year when I get my tax returns I always buy at least one "cool" thing that I don't actually need. sometimes it's a nice gi, sometimes it's a gun or accessory for a gun, sometimes it's just something random. but I already have so many gi that I boxed up a bunch and put them away. I can't justify buying more of them.

so... what should I buy this year? the ballpark price range is $100 for serious suggestions, but that doesn't mean you can't suggest something cool that's well above that range.

right now I'm considering this
    Stacey
    Stacey

cool gadgets/toys to waste money on Empty Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

Post by Stacey Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:59 am

I'm all for Think Geek. I also like:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ab3f/

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e976/?pfm=Search&t=sugru%20hacking%20putty

this would just get me in trouble for annoying people:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/b6e6/ (but, oh what fun annoying people!)
    if you want to spend more, try this

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f2bb/?pfm=geektoys_newest_f2bb_6

and, this always seemed like it'd be fun (if you get it, post a review):

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ecf2/

but, since marriage is involved, I recommend that if you get anything for yourself, you also procure a gift certificate for the one you love, so she can partake as well - Think Geek, Sci Surplus, iTunes..... But, I'm either a hopeless romantic, or somebody who likes to promote building up credits for when you really screw up.......
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

cool gadgets/toys to waste money on Empty Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

Post by Cichorei Kano Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:07 am

Stacey wrote:I'm all for Think Geek. I also like:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ab3f/

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e976/?pfm=Search&t=sugru%20hacking%20putty

this would just get me in trouble for annoying people:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/b6e6/ (but, oh what fun annoying people!)
    if you want to spend more, try this

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f2bb/?pfm=geektoys_newest_f2bb_6

and, this always seemed like it'd be fun (if you get it, post a review):

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ecf2/

but, since marriage is involved, I recommend that if you get anything for yourself, you also procure a gift certificate for the one you love, so she can partake as well - Think Geek, Sci Surplus, iTunes..... But, I'm either a hopeless romantic, or somebody who likes to promote building up credits for when you really screw up.......

I would have thought you would at least have recommended a JudoForum T-shirt with matching biker shorts ...
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:40 am

the sword is cool (though if I buy something that looks like a sword, I want to be able to cut stuff with it, I'm not a "hang it on the wall" kind of guy). so is the butterfly knife (balisong) pen. I already know how to use a balisong fairly well (the perks of a misspent youth) so that one would be kinda cool. the zombie is cool too, albeit insanely overpriced.
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 am

How about an Asus nexus 7 tablet so you can see the judo net forum wherever you go?

Mike
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:45 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:

I would have thought you would at least have recommended a JudoForum T-shirt with matching biker shorts ...

that would be for next year, after we've developed a line of eJudo "undergi" wear, socks, hats, and mittens....... What a Face
    cuivien
    cuivien

Post by cuivien Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:39 pm

Stacey wrote:
    that would be for next year, after we've developed a line of eJudo "undergi" wear, socks, hats, and mittens....... What a Face

I want a bright pink top-hat with "E-Judo" written on the brim. I think it'll do wonders for my authority in class Cool
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:00 am

cuivien wrote:
    Stacey wrote:

I want a bright pink top-hat with "E-Judo" written on the brim. I think it'll do wonders for my authority in class Cool

Hmmm ... dunno, yellow or pink ... looks like a tough choice to me ...

cool gadgets/toys to waste money on Docume10
    seatea
    seatea

Post by seatea Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:23 am

genetic judoka wrote:the sword is cool (though if I buy something that looks like a sword, I want to be able to cut stuff with it, I'm not a "hang it on the wall" kind of guy).
    A bit pricey, but think of it as an investment against the apocalypse.

http://zombietools.net/

Last edited by seatea on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Second video.)
    cuivien
    cuivien

Post by cuivien Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:37 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    Hmmm ... dunno, yellow or pink ... looks like a tough choice to me ...

cool gadgets/toys to waste money on Docume10

Why choose? Just get one of each Cool

The one I was thinking of was more like this though...

cool gadgets/toys to waste money on Like-a10 <--- no, this is not me
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:23 am

seatea wrote:
    genetic judoka wrote:the sword is cool (though if I buy something that looks like a sword, I want to be able to cut stuff with it, I'm not a "hang it on the wall" kind of guy).
    A bit pricey, but think of it as an investment against the apocalypse.

http://zombietools.net/

If Steve Leadbeater finds out he will likely kill him with his bare hands.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:32 am

cuivien wrote:

It's nice, but the problem is that Stacey loves my haircut and she can't fully admire it if the hat covers too much of it.

cool gadgets/toys to waste money on Jack4410
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:19 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    cuivien wrote:

It's nice, but the problem is that Stacey loves my haircut and she can't fully admire it if the hat covers too much of it.

aw, man! why'd you cut it? I bet I can barely wrap it around my fingers 1 time, let alone pull on it with any force!
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:12 am

Stacey wrote:

aw, man! why'd you cut it? I bet I can barely wrap it around my fingers 1 time, let alone pull on it with any force!

Promises, promises, promises ...
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:02 am

I showed my wife the tomahawk I'm considering. she doesn't like the idea, on the grounds that according to her "I'll never use it."

clearly she doesn't know me well. I'm the type of guy who would find a reason to use it. look at this thing!
    cool gadgets/toys to waste money on 922bcb8c358b1f92cc6a34e6acc6
    I'll find a reason to use it.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:29 am

genetic judoka wrote:I showed my wife the tomahawk I'm considering. she doesn't like the idea, on the grounds that according to her "I'll never use it."

clearly she doesn't know me well. I'm the type of guy who would find a reason to use it. look at this thing!
    cool gadgets/toys to waste money on 922bcb8c358b1f92cc6a34e6acc6
    I'll find a reason to use it.

Stacey generally advises to not confess premeditated murder here on the forum. Just worth a thought.
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:39 am

I didn't say it would be used against a person. but I feel bad for the first hard to open can or jar my wife faces.

I just ordered it on ebay for 44 incl shipping. good purchase IMHO. that doesn't mean the thread needs to die though, I am open to suggestions for other worthwhile gadgets/weapons to spend the remaining 56 allotted dollars on.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:49 am

genetic judoka wrote:I didn't say it would be used against a person. but I feel bad for the first hard to open can or jar my wife faces.

I just ordered it on ebay for 44 incl shipping. good purchase IMHO. that doesn't mean the thread needs to die though, I am open to suggestions for other worthwhile gadgets/weapons to spend the remaining 56 allotted dollars on.

There are some really nice deals on E-Bay. You could go this way, which is kind of cool to go to judo training:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-Restored-SAETA-CASA-Jet-/271157361057?pt=Motors_Aircraft&hash=item3f223cf9a1

Then again, the $56 might not suffice and parking could be a bit of a hassle.

Or if you want to downscale it a bit, why not:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jet-Engine-Powered-Go-Kart-Boeing-Gas-Turbine-Rat-Rod-/150874839038?pt=Motors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&hash=item2320d757fe&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Cichorei Kano on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:51 am

genetic judoka wrote:I didn't say it would be used against a person. but I feel bad for the first hard to open can or jar my wife faces.

put that 56 dollars in a can or jar that's not a target of your weapon of choice. it's a good down payment on a new countertop, or payment for your emergency surgery (hopefully, it's just to fix a wound, and not to re-attach some body part)
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:59 am

not a bad idea stacey, but that's what the rest of the tax return is for!

when it comes in I'll take a picture of it next to my other frivolous weapons/tools. of which there are several. I need to figure out what the next purchase should be, as I've already covered most the basic categories of hand held non projectile weaponry.
    ThePieman
    ThePieman

Post by ThePieman Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:50 am

That would be perfect for chopping vegetables!

Post by Guest Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:56 pm

genetic judoka wrote:every year when I get my tax returns I always buy at least one "cool" thing that I don't actually need. sometimes it's a nice gi, sometimes it's a gun or accessory for a gun, sometimes it's just something random. but I already have so many gi that I boxed up a bunch and put them away. I can't justify buying more of them.

so... what should I buy this year? the ballpark price range is $100 for serious suggestions, but that doesn't mean you can't suggest something cool that's well above that range.

right now I'm considering this
    The first thing I thought of when I saw that link was Assassin's Creed 3.
    I've never seen that website before. Thanks for sharing. I'm the same way when it comes to annual spending but it's usually during Christmas and not tax return time. I haven't purchased anything for myself in quite a while because I can't seem to find something I want to buy. The things I want are far more expensive than a few hundred dollars.
    seatea
    seatea

Post by seatea Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:44 am

Stacey wrote:

put that 56 dollars in a can or jar that's not a target of your weapon of choice. it's a good down payment on a new countertop, or payment for your emergency surgery (hopefully, it's just to fix a wound, and not to re-attach some body part)

Pssh, being sensible, when has that ever helped anyone?
    Davaro
    Davaro

Post by Davaro Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:54 pm

After you have cut your legs off with that thing... use the balance to get a gun. You know, for next years valentines day. You may have an unknown intruder.

Lets see who is the first to see what I did there...
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:32 am

Davaro wrote:After you have cut your legs off with that thing... use the balance to get a gun. You know, for next years valentines day. You may have an unknown intruder.

Lets see who is the first to see what I did there...

somehow, I doubt I'd want a gun that costs $100 or less. Might could lose more than my legs that way, though the "cheap gun" defense is always fun in court "never thought it'd make it through the bathroom door - my goal was to scare the pants off the intruder, not actually shoot him/her"

Yes, Davaro, you're a real pistol, for sure.

To the OP, I still highly recommend the Sugru - that stuff is fun! It's like Silly Putty that can actually do stuff since it hardens overnight (and without the use of a clothes dryer - yeah, I sent a few eggs of Silly Putty through the laundry in my day). I'm sure there are some mods you'd love to make if you had a bit of Sugru.

Otherwise, (And well over $100), there's the Gerber Apocalypse Survival Kit

http://www.gerbergear.com/Apocalypse/Gear/Apocalypse-Kit_30-000601

this machete looks interesting. Impractical, but interesting:

cool gadgets/toys to waste money on Gator-Machete-Pro_fulljpg

And it's one of 6 blades in the kit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:49 pm