E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

Pain in crook of elbow

Pain in crook of elbow Empty Pain in crook of elbow

Post by Guest Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:34 am

I've had an relatively minor injury over the past few months but one that has kept me out of Judo because it has rendered my tsurite useless. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this. I've had pain every time I do a lifting motion on the lapel, perform a curl with a weight, or give a thumbs down. The pain is almost gone now but it has taken nearly three months to heal. In that time I have not been doing Judo for fear or re-injuring it. Has anyone else experienced this kind of injury before? If so, what was it? The pain is in the crook of the elbow and seemingly involves the muscles used to give a thumbs down (supinator muscle?) Strangely enough, I am still able to work out with weights (apart from curls) relatively pain free. Bench press, overhead press, and Pendlay rows were never an issue for me.

Before anyone gives me a hard time....switching left handed was not an option as the pulling motion of the hikite also caused a lot of pain.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Pain in crook of elbow Empty Re: Pain in crook of elbow

Post by Cichorei Kano Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:10 am

Dave R. wrote:I've had an relatively minor injury over the past few months but one that has kept me out of Judo because it has rendered my tsurite useless.  I was wondering if anyone has experienced this.  I've had pain every time I do a lifting motion on the lapel, perform a curl with a weight, or give a thumbs down.  The pain is almost gone now but it has taken nearly three months to heal.  In that time I have not been doing Judo for fear or re-injuring it.  Has anyone else experienced this kind of injury before?  If so, what was it?  The pain is in the crook of the elbow and seemingly involves the muscles used to give a thumbs down (supinator muscle?)  Strangely enough, I am still able to work out with weights (apart from curls) relatively pain free.  Bench press, overhead press, and Pendlay rows were never an issue for me.

Before anyone gives me a hard time....switching left handed was not an option as the pulling motion of the hikite also caused a lot of pain.  

Not sure how localized it is, but what you describe could possibly be an inflammation of the interosseus membrane of the forearm: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interosseous_membrane_of_forearm

This membrane connects both bones in the forearm and thus the inflammation can spread, and pain can be induced by a variety of movements.

Treatment usually is by physical means, namely to take the specific load of the structure, meaning temporarily changing how you use those arms. Secondly, eccentric stretching. You do that by assuming the beginning position for push-up while seated on your knees. You can remain seated on your knees. You place your hands in front of you but turn them as far outside as you can, to the point that your fingers are pointing towards you. Now you lean forward, and bend and stretch your arms. Let us know if this movement is particularly sensitive to your arm. If so, it is almost certainly what I described. You should regularly do those stretching exercises and included them in your warm-ups. When others do full push-ups, you should to this exercise in stead. You should avoid ukemi that involve slapping the tatami with that arm, as that can introduce microtears. If you want more effect, then you can do this exercise at home and while you do this, also ice that area. Luckily this overuse injury typically reacts better to treatment that classical tennis elbow or golfer's elbow.

Good luck !

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:45 am