E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+4
JakubMB
Yabanjames
nomoremondays
Jerry Hays
8 posters

Judo federation director resigns over violence by university team

Jerry Hays

Judo federation director resigns over violence by university team Empty Judo federation director resigns over violence by university team

Post by Jerry Hays Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:05 pm

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/sports/AJ201309040047
    nomoremondays
    nomoremondays

Judo federation director resigns over violence by university team Empty Re: Judo federation director resigns over violence by university team

Post by nomoremondays Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:03 am

proverbial pendulum swings a bit too far back around?!?!

*gulp*

clown
    Yabanjames
    Yabanjames

Judo federation director resigns over violence by university team Empty Re: Judo federation director resigns over violence by university team

Post by Yabanjames Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:57 pm

...And Kano does yet another 360 in his subterranean resting place. Judo in Japan is so far removed from what the good Doctor had in mind; in the main (there remain a few notable, and noble exceptions, of course), it's become a sport, of limited technical range, practised largely by physical thugs, in a rigidly hierarchical setting. In short, pretty much the complete opposite of Kano-shihan's intention.

And it should go without saying that it is difficult to blame us evil foreigners for that.
    JakubMB

Post by JakubMB Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:06 pm

The problem is some of the guys in Japan are still living with the imperial mindset they used to have since the Meiji restoration. The 'Yamato spirit' is much more present than the humanitarian principles of judo. You don't need to be gentle, you need to be strong. Yamashita is right with the whole renaissance thing, they need a change and much more respect. The sport of judo is harsh enough for most without bullying.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Yabanjames wrote:...And Kano does yet another 360 in his subterranean resting place.  Judo in Japan is so far removed from what the good Doctor had in mind; in the main (there remain a few notable, and noble exceptions, of course), it's become a sport, of limited technical range, practised largely by physical thugs, in a rigidly hierarchical setting.  In short, pretty much the complete opposite of Kano-shihan's intention.

And it should go without saying that it is difficult to blame us evil foreigners for that.
    Ha, ha, ha, true, but let's be fair, it's also understandable. I wasn't there, so I can't really assess the extent of what is reported in the newspaper, meaning how 'abusive' it really was. I don't think that this is even the essence of the process. The essence is that judo as currently practiced in competition is as you say far removed from Kanô's intention, but also far removed from where it was 20-30 years ago. But even if tomorrow judo consists of putting a ball on a tatami and trying to kick that into the opponent's goal, to Japan, it's still sold under the name judo and still a Japanese invention, so there is an honor to be defended, just like the after the loss of Kaminaga to Geesink the nation's honor was at stake. The current evolution is a lost case for Japan though unless a new Yamashita stands up. For the rest physically-genetically it's an uphill battle to try and compete with the Georgians and other power machines who often at bast can mimic technique when using their humongous power they can make something look as if it were all technique, a bit like you would be able to perfectly ippon any 7-year old with any throw, even the ones you master the least. What Japan needs to do is not give up judo but leave the IJF and restart Kodokan judo, call it the International Kodokan Judo Federation, -Organization, -Association, whatever. But the real problem is the huge risk that it might miss out on the Olympics and that is not acceptable. Of course nothing prevents them from still remaining somewhat within the IJF circuit while they start another international federation. That's the only hope. Japan cannot compete with the power of the Rumenian-Russian maffia that is active behind the international judo scenes. Far too powerful, far to extensive. You saw what the fate was of Uemura, Japan now doesn't even have someone with that international status except for Yamashita. Even Fujii, respecte everywhere great champion, one of the truly best IJF refs, now they even got to him, so internationally he will now be deadwood too. Years ago, senior Japanese told at the Kodokan, involved with both the Kodokan and the IJF defiantly told me, "we don't care what the IJF does, we do our own thing". Sure, sounded great, but reality shows exactly the opposite. They need to add deeds to words, and that is the only option remaining, realistic or not.
    Yabanjames
    Yabanjames

Post by Yabanjames Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:26 pm

Yes sir, CK and JakubMB, right you both are indeed about all that.  

The tragedy is, I'm not sure there's enough truly "Japanese" traditional, Kano-style judo spirit left in Japan to make a new start, even if I'm sure there are a few judoka who would love to.  I hope I am wrong, but I see evidence of this at the Kodokan, where it is not uncommon for dan-ranked judoka to know only a handful of waza.  (Ran into that earlier this week -- a Kodokan yondan who had literally never heard of harai-tsurikomi-ashi.  Sadly, being promoted to yondan at the Kodokan never formally requires demonstrating knowledge of most of the gokyo, or really any of the spirit or history of judo).

I bring this up only as evidence of how Kano-shihan's vision of judo as foremost an educational tool no longer predominates at the Kodokan -- and, therefore, in Japanese judo as a whole.  I think this loss is tragic, and I would love to see the Kodokan address it.  Had high hopes for Uemura-san when he became Kancho; who knows?  Perhaps his toubles with the AJJF will lead him to look inward and redefine the purpose of Kodokan judo.  The traditional judo world badly needs such leadership. Here's hoping.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:58 am

Yabanjames wrote:... Ran into that earlier this week -- a Kodokan yondan who had literally never heard of harai-tsurikomi-ashi ...
    Hmmm. Perhaps someone was recreating with Richard Riehle recently?
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Judo federation director resigns over violence by university team Empty Tenri University suspends judo program !!

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:52 pm

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2013/09/05/more-sports/scandal-ridden-tenri-university-judo-program-suspends-operations/
    Emanuele2

Post by Emanuele2 Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:04 am

Lots of resignations this year in Japan...
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Judo federation director resigns over violence by university team Empty Now they also have gone for the head of world champion Ôno Shôhei

Post by Cichorei Kano Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:08 pm

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2013/09/11/more-sports/world-judo-champion-ono-suspended-for-assaulting-teammate/#.UjETHX8t0yZ
    Jerry Hays

Judo federation director resigns over violence by university team Empty JUDO/ World champion suspended from university for smacking freshmen

Post by Jerry Hays Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:23 pm

Please visit http://ajw.asahi.com/article/sports/AJ201309120067 for the story.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:24 am

Senior judo club members ‘ordered violence’:

—Four senior students slapped about 10 freshmen in the face on about May 23, rupturing the eardrum of one freshman.

—One of the same four students also struck the hip of the injured student with a wooden sword in mid-June.

—Another one of the four slapped the student in the face on July 8.

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0000590034
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:28 am

Yabanjames wrote:.....

I bring this up only as evidence of how Kano-shihan's vision of judo as foremost an educational tool no longer predominates at the Kodokan -- and, therefore, in Japanese judo as a whole.  I think this loss is tragic, and I would love to see the Kodokan address it.  Had high hopes for Uemura-san when he became Kancho; who knows?  Perhaps his toubles with the AJJF will lead him to look inward and redefine the purpose of Kodokan judo.  The traditional judo world badly needs such leadership.  Here's hoping.
    Here is Uemura kancho's New Year's greeting from the Kodokan website, where he addresses some of this issues. Of course, he may be overcome by the immediate crisis reaction to address some of the finer points he mentioned. Emphasis added.
    NBK

New Year’s Message from President Haruki Uemura

I would like to extend my best wishes for the New Year to all Judo families around the world!

2012 was a memorable year, including the Kodokan’s celebration of its 130th anniversary.
    In March, the Sports Basic Plan was promulgated by the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. This plan will become an important guideline for Japanese national and local public organizations, sports organizations, etc., to promote a variety of projects to achieve a society in which sports helps people enjoy a happy and fulfilled life. Throughout the year, the sports organization of Japan must work even harder and cooperate more closely to achieve continuous development in the field of sports.

In April, Japanese martial arts, including Judo, became a required subject in junior high schools’ health and physical education curriculum. To support a smooth start of this new curriculum, we made sure that the standard teaching method adopted ensures the safety of children learning Judo. I am having various policies carried out to deploy an enjoyable, safe curriculum that conveys the high level of Judo’s physical education and educational value.

The London Olympics took place in the summer, exactly 100 years since Team Japan made its Olympic debut at the 1912 Stockholm Olympics with Kano Jigoro Shihan as its head of delegation. In the Judo competition, delegates from 135 different countries and regions arrived in London, a total of 387 athletes who competed and showed us their well refined techniques and passion for Judo. Throughout the Olympics, all the Judo delegations deepened their mutual friendships. During the seven days of Judo competition, judoka representing 23 different countries placed in Judo, proving Judo is widely practiced all over the world and that the level of proficiency in many countries has improved dramatically.

At the London Paralympics, which followed after the Summer Olympics, and the Judo World Team Championships held in Brazil in October, again we were shown quite an accumulation of Judo, with full efforts of spirit, technique, and physique in fierce competitions. While we tend to focus on competition strength and results, Judo does not pursue only this; it must aim to perfect one's self and heavily emphasize building the whole person. However, despite refusing to focus on just winning and ways to win, one can still perform rigorous training and lead a life of self-discipline. This enriches one's spirit, technique, and physique, which leads the perfection of the person.

In recent years, the practice of Judo Kata is being adopted throughout the world. The Kodokan Kata Course organized by the European Judo Union (EJU) began 2 years ago. The last seminar held in Lignano, Italy, saw 275 participants assembled from 20 different countries. Last year, the Kodokan also dispatched Kata experts to France, Canada, Australia, and other countries in response to requests from several national Judo federations and continental unions. Reviewing these events, I couldn’t help but feel the heightened expectations about the role of the Kodokan in the diffusion of Kata throughout the world.

At the last World Kata Championships in Pordenone, Italy, although Japanese pairs again dominated the top of the podium in every Kata for the 4th consecutive year, the other winning prize pairs have been more diverse in nationality with each year’s world championship. I felt that the performance level of each national delegation has progressed greatly. In October this year, the 5th World Kata Championship will be held in Kyoto. I’m looking forward to seeing athletes from a variety of countries and regions join the championships and play to their very best ability.

It has developed that the International Judo Federation (IJF) has been making changes to refereeing and other rules every four years, and I feel that this is a serious situation. Any measure that aspires to return to correct Judo that grasps its true essence is welcome; nevertheless, what is important is not just changing rules, but the preservation and the future transmission of Judo’s essential characteristics. For that reason, I think that the education of instructors, referees, and others who recognize the educational value that Judo holds and can transmit that knowledge is an urgent matter. I intend to continue to promote training programs in Japan for instructors that can do this.

On April 1st last year, the Kodokan became a charitable foundation, a special legal status in Japan only authorized for organizations capable of implementing public interest in a suitable manner and contributing to the realization of a vibrant society. I strongly focus on “the correct transmission of Judo established by Kano Shihan” and intend to promote this with all my strength. Now, upon reflection, I am at the point at which I feel the importance of proceeding with flexibility (the ‘ju’ in Judo) to add to my strength and hope to thus continue my own personal progress.

According to our materials, before 1945, Kano Shihan’s most popular calligraphy, which was framed and hung on the wall of school dojo throughout Japan, was the four character idiom※1 “順道制勝” Jundo-Seisho: “Follow the Way – Gain Victory”. The term “Jundo” (the ‘do’ in Judo meaning the ‘Way’) is found in the “Li Ji” (the ancient Confucian ‘Book of Rites’※2 known as ‘Raiki’ in Japanese) and in “Kansho” (the history of the Chinese Han Dynasty), while the term “Seisho” is first found in ”The Art of War” by Sun Tzu (known as Sonshi in Japanese). It is said that Kano Shihan combined these terms to create this four character idiom, which means: if you follow the correct principles of Judo※3 without being obsessed with the result, you will win naturally; even losing while following Judo’s principles has more value than winning by violating the principles.

A process to accomplish something is sometimes compared to climbing a mountain. First, look up to the top of the mountain and resolve to meet the challenge, but before you take a first step forward, make sure to choose the right path. Once you set out on climbing, it is important not only to look up but also to look down at your feet constantly to see whether you are still on the right path and continuing the proper way.

Without forgetting my initial resolve this new year, I would like to request everyone’s guidance, support, and cooperation as I use all my energy on the diffusion and promotion of judo and make every effort to put into practice the Judo principles of “精力善用 Seiryoku-Zenyo: Maximum efficient use of energy” and “自他共栄 Jita-kyoei: Mutual prosperity for self and others”.

In closing, I pray that everyone has a wonderful year ahead!

※1 Short, four-character idioms called yojijukugo are traditionally used to convey wisdom in Japanese culture.

※2 One of the ‘Five Classics’, ancient Chinese Confucian books written before 300 BC and studied in traditional Japanese, Edo era education. Kano shihan’s early education included the study of the Five Classics.

※3 The Judo principles:
    - 精力善用 Seiryoku-Zenyo: maximum efficient use of energy
    - 自他共栄 Jita-kyoei: mutual prosperity for self and others
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:36 pm

Resignations, now suspensions. I wonder if the police will charge assault and battery? Or the family sue for damages? Such is becoming more common in Japan as people get fed up with their kids being slapped around and damaged for life. Having had a ruptured eardrum in the military as a young man, it stays with you and can get worse with age.

TOKYO (AFP) – World judo champion Shohei Ono has been suspended from his university for physically abusing junior members of the judo squad, an official said Friday, reigniting controversy over violence in Japanese sport.

The episode is yet more bad news for a sport that has been dogged in recent years by scandal.
    The official at Tenri University, which has produced several Olympic and world judo gold medallists, said that Ono and four other fourth-year teammates had been suspended for 30 days for smacking and/or kicking freshmen members of the team.

Seven others were also disciplined.

Team captain Ono, 21, who won the 73-kilogramme title at last month's world championships in Rio de Janeiro, was found to have slapped a freshman twice after training in May.
    Japan's judo governing body was scheduled to convene a meeting of its disciplinary committee next Wednesday to decide punishment for the judokas.

"I apologise for my act of slapping at a time when the All Japan Judo Federation is trying to eliminate physical violence in the sport," Ono said in a statement. "I wish to start anew and become a mature member of society."

In late July, Haruki Uemura resigned as head of the judo federation after the sport suffered a series of scandals including abusive coaching, sexual harassment and misuse of funds.
    Japan's judo community was rocked last January when it emerged the coach of the national women's team was found to have beaten athletes, sometimes using a bamboo sword, calling his charges "ugly" and telling them to "die" in the run-up to the London Olympics.

In April, judo officials were accused of improperly receiving government coaching subsidies.

The federation expelled one of its directors for life in June following the revelation that he made unwanted sexual advances toward a female athlete in 2011.

Read more: ]http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/09/13/japan-judo-champ-suspended-from-uni-for-hazing/#ixzz2f6q7Xahx[/url]
    JakubMB

Post by JakubMB Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:46 pm

I see Ono stopped saying he didn't do anything and apologised. It alone does have some value. Now he should take part in some sort of a anti-violence programme to make at least some amends. Though I still think that the AJJF should start enforcing much harsher penalties for people involved aggression. A zero tolerance policy should be enforced, because - as I said before - the training is in itself harsh enough. We don't need bullies and jackasses around to scare off even more kids away from judo. I might be naive, but the atmosphere in a dojo should be quite warm and friendly place to ballance the fact that judo is tough
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Judo federation director resigns over violence by university team Empty Negativistic media attention to judo continues

Post by Cichorei Kano Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:37 am

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0000593719

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:07 pm