E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

2 posters

Foundation date of the Kodokan

EastGer_Jûdôka

Foundation date of the Kodokan Empty Foundation date of the Kodokan

Post by EastGer_Jûdôka Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:18 pm

Someone asked me about the exactly foundation date of the kodokan. I didn't know, I looked in my sources but there was still only the year 1882. In Sakujiro Yokohama's book "Judo Kyohan" is talked about (please correct if I make a mistake with the grammar) the June of 1882. If someone knows, can he say his source?
    Kuden

Foundation date of the Kodokan Empty Foundation of the Kodokan

Post by Kuden Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:34 pm

The following quote may be most reliable (from Oimatsu Shinichi):

Jan, 1882 the Gakushuin added a curriculum and on 15th Jan (Jigoro Kano) was assigned to lecture on Political Economics... says Kano "In February 1882, I rented a study room with an annex at a temple called Eishoji located in Shitaya Kita Inaricho and so I moved there. The Eishoji Temple was of Jyodo-shu and its chief priest was old by the name of Cho Shun Bo. Kano was then 23 years old. He let a student to stay in the annex while he used 12.5 mats and 7 mats as his study room. Of the two rooms, he used the larger one as Dojo. There he invited and taught his students and those from outside. He asked Iikubo-sensei to teach techniques and kata. The Dojo was multi-purpose space used as bedroom, study room, guest room. When starting to use it as Dojo Dojo, he had to put away desks and books, and when finished it was changed into a study room. Thus in May he founded the Kodokan at this Eishoji Temple.

The record says he also started his private circle called Kano Jyuku in February. I suppose one could say May 1 1882 is the date of foundation. Tomita Tsunejiro later recalls there was no signboard whatsoever such as Kodokan then.

Of any help?
    EastGer_Jûdôka

Foundation date of the Kodokan Empty Re: Foundation date of the Kodokan

Post by EastGer_Jûdôka Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:20 am

Thank you for you help! It helped me very much

Sponsored content

Foundation date of the Kodokan Empty Re: Foundation date of the Kodokan

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:47 am