E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

5 posters

10-man line-up

edbiology
    edbiology

10-man line-up Empty 10-man line-up

Post by edbiology Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:16 am

Tokuzo Takahashi of LA Tenri.

Takamasa Anai of Japan, with Tokuzo Takahashi being the 10th challenger!!

JudoMojo
    JudoMojo

10-man line-up Empty Re: 10-man line-up

Post by JudoMojo Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:36 am

I love these videos.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:02 am

JudoMojo wrote:I love these videos.
    One always wonders what would happen if in there, there would be someone unknown but strong enough to beat the star. For the 'oldies' the memories are still 'fresh' of Daigo in Paris who was not able to beat Jean De Herdt (1923-2013). According to de Herdt he would have been able to beat Daigo. Hard to say, as no film of the fight has been released to get an objective idea. But according to my late sensei who was also a student of de Herdt, de Herdt was quite phenomenal.

In the 1950s we had a phenomenally strong jûdôka who would fight in team contests with our club also abroad and who would throw known international champions for ippon, yet although very famous locally and among visiting clubs, the man remains unknown nationally or internationally because he was not interested in becoming a well-known champion and instead gained a PhD in Biology, something not evident in those years, and devoted his life to biology. I recall that our friend Tsurumaki also had a couple of personal historic anecdotes of people he knew who were able to beat well-known international judo champions, yet remained relatively unknown themselves as they never participated in major championships hence their names is not listed among the "rich and famous" in judo.
    JudoMojo
    JudoMojo

Post by JudoMojo Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:29 am

I guess it wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility, although I imagine it would be extremely difficult to overcome someone who has amazing natural ability AND does judo pretty much full time, even if just the once.

Takahashi looked like he had some dangerous moments in his line up, but Anai didn't look like he was going to lose any of them.

edbiology
    edbiology

Post by edbiology Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:00 am

Takahashi vs McCormick( U.S. heavy weight Olympian) in shiai.

Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    JudoMojo wrote:I love these videos.
    One always wonders what would happen if in there, there would be someone unknown but strong enough to beat the star. For the 'oldies' the memories are still 'fresh' of Daigo in Paris who was not able to beat Jean De Herdt (1923-2013). According to de Herdt he would have been able to beat Daigo. Hard to say, as no film of the fight has been released to get an objective idea. But according to my late sensei who was also a student of de Herdt, de Herdt was quite phenomenal.

In the 1950s we had a phenomenally strong jûdôka who would fight in team contests with our club also abroad and who would throw known international champions for ippon, yet although very famous locally and among visiting clubs, the man remains unknown nationally or internationally because he was not interested in becoming a well-known champion and instead gained a PhD in Biology, something not evident in those years, and devoted his life to biology. I recall that our friend Tsurumaki also had a couple of personal historic anecdotes of people he knew who were able to beat well-known international judo champions, yet remained relatively unknown themselves as they never participated in major championships hence their names is not listed among the "rich and famous" in judo.
    If I remember correctly I believe Brian Jacks was once thrown for ippon in the British Open by an unknown judoka. Jacks still qualified from his pool and went on to win the event in his category.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:13 pm

Another great line-up.

BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:53 pm

Big Ed ... I was going to post a wisecrack about Annabel Chong ... but that would be impolite.
    edbiology
    edbiology

Post by edbiology Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:00 am

BillC wrote:Big Ed ... I was going to post a wisecrack about Annabel Chong ... but that would be impolite.
    Haha didn't know who that was until I looked her up on the internet. I guess a 10-man line-up would have just been an appetizer for her.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:36 am

edbiology wrote:Haha didn't know who that was until I looked her up on the internet. I guess a 10-man line-up would have just been an appetizer for her.
    You young geniuses really got to work on your cultural literacy.

Hey ... just a reminder to bring all your buds to camp the 28th and 29th.
    edbiology
    edbiology

Post by edbiology Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:07 am

BillC wrote:
    Do you have a flyer of the winter camp in electronic file? Heisei's official section is over, but we are having bonus practices these couple weeks, I can pass the flyers around.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:15 am

edbiology wrote:
    BillC wrote:
    Do you have a flyer of the winter camp in electronic file? Heisei's official section is over, but we are having bonus practices these couple weeks, I can pass the flyers around.
    I sent some flyers to Matt before I left ... like a week ago. And Anson asked the same question so ... yes ... the flyer is up on the PSJA web site http://www.pacificsouthwestjudo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/2013-Winter-Camp.pdf

Thanks for asking sir, it's really appreciated.

Cheers.

Bill

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content